My FM3 Board Setup

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
I was asked about my setup with my FM3 rig about what I am doing with it. In this thread, I'll break down the setup, and in another (TBD), I'll break down my basic preset design if people are interested.

To start, here's a photo: 20210711_094331.jpg

The board is a Mono (the biggest one). I have a padded case for it. Underneath is a LED strip that morphs between colors; I've been doing that for a long time because I like it. LOL.

I run Direct-to-FOH 90% of the time; I play in a working rock/country/pop covers band (The Detroit Drive) and weekly P&W.

Everything is powered by the Cioks DC-10, including the FM3.

My guitar signal comes in via the Shure GLXD wireless. I route that to the TC-Helicon Talk-Box. My vocal mic also goes into the Talk-Box. I activate the talkbox preset and use it for Living on a Prayer and Man in a Box (and as a stage gimmick when called for). I use the onboard vocal processing for pitch correction, compression, and reverb on my vocals when not using the talkbox function. (*I use it in the mode where the talkbox effect goes to the PA, but the raw guitar signal still goes to the guitar input on the board whether the talkbox is engaged or not).

The guitar signal is now finally into the FM3 controlled with the FC-6 using the OMG-9 setup. I find this is absolutely ideal for the way I approach setting up my rig. As noted above, I will, at some point, soon do a detailed breakdown of my preset design. I use the TC "Hall of Fame 2" for reverb looped in the FM3, so I do not run out of processer headroom. I prefer to use the reverb in the FM3 (and do for Fender-type presets); I use the TC for plate reverb because reverb is not a major component for most of my use. I leave it on for everything but my Fender preset(s).

Expression pedals are the Dunlop Mini's; the bottom left is a double duty - sometimes a volume pedal and sometimes a wet/dry for all my modulation effects. I use this to fade in/out and mix on the fly depending on what I feel in the moment during performance. It's a very fluid and dynamic way of working. The bottom right pedal is wah, heel-down is off, and it is auto-on. The pedal on top is for wet/dry on my delay. Again, I have the delay active in all my presets and mix to taste as needed/required depending on what I feel in the moment song-to-song. I use a dual delay block with 350ms/500ms (the classic '80s sort of sound) with either just a hint of it for 'space' or pump it up for that Leon Todd solo thing. LOl.

This works well for the way I approach rig design, and each preset is a set of scenes with different amps of a similar vein. For example, as shown in this photo, I have four different Friedman amps, each progressively higher gain and the fifth scene with a solo setup, typically a +4db scene level boost which works very well in my particular band(s). I have a Fender, Class-A, Marshall, Bogner, Friedman, and Soldano preset, all with 4 separate amp channels/cabs and a solo scene. My effects are consistent across all my presets (Wah, Compression, Volume, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Pitch (Crystals), Rotary, Trem, Delay, and (*Reverb-as detailed above)).

We run in-ear monitors running our PA, a QSC based system (with a QSC Touchmix 16 board, K10.2 tops, and their 112 subs (2 of each)). I run the mix from the stage. I can also use this rig at festivals/jams with powered monitor(s) and earplugs (I suffer from Tinnitus).

Suppose you have any questions, fire away. I'll do my best to answer them.

Clean rig setup Scott! How are you liking the Dunlop mini's? I thought of running those but went with the db Instrument 4e instead.
Thanks. I love these pedals - excellent quality, smooth taper/sweep, dependable, perfect size/form for what I do (as shown). Very satisfied with them.

So +4dB signal boost for solos... Is that pretty consistent for all songs?
Yes. I primarily play in my rock band with another guitarist, bass, drums. The +4db works perfectly for me and I've used that for over 14 years of 'Fractalhood' as my go-to for myself and almost every rig I've dialed in/programmed for others assuming you run direct-to-FOH.

I was asked about my setup with my FM3 rig about what I am doing with it. In this thread, I'll break down the setup, and in another (TBD), I'll break down my basic preset design if people are interested.

To start, here's a photo: View attachment 85874

The board is a Mono (the biggest one). I have a padded case for it. Underneath is a LED strip that morphs between colors; I've been doing that for a long time because I like it. LOL.

I run Direct-to-FOH 90% of the time; I play in a working rock/country/pop covers band (The Detroit Drive) and weekly P&W.

Everything is powered by the Cioks DC-10, including the FM3.

My guitar signal comes in via the Shure GLXD wireless. I route that to the TC-Helicon Talk-Box. My vocal mic also goes into the Talk-Box. I activate the talkbox preset and use it for Living on a Prayer and Man in a Box (and as a stage gimmick when called for). I use the onboard vocal processing for pitch correction, compression, and reverb on my vocals when not using the talkbox function. (*I use it in the mode where the talkbox effect goes to the PA, but the raw guitar signal still goes to the guitar input on the board whether the talkbox is engaged or not).

The guitar signal is now finally into the FM3 controlled with the FC-6 using the OMG-9 setup. I find this is absolutely ideal for the way I approach setting up my rig. As noted above, I will, at some point, soon do a detailed breakdown of my preset design. I use the TC "Hall of Fame 2" for reverb looped in the FM3, so I do not run out of processer headroom. I prefer to use the reverb in the FM3 (and do for Fender-type presets); I use the TC for plate reverb because reverb is not a major component for most of my use. I leave it on for everything but my Fender preset(s).

Expression pedals are the Dunlop Mini's; the bottom left is a double duty - sometimes a volume pedal and sometimes a wet/dry for all my modulation effects. I use this to fade in/out and mix on the fly depending on what I feel in the moment during performance. It's a very fluid and dynamic way of working. The bottom right pedal is wah, heel-down is off, and it is auto-on. The pedal on top is for wet/dry on my delay. Again, I have the delay active in all my presets and mix to taste as needed/required depending on what I feel in the moment song-to-song. I use a dual delay block with 350ms/500ms (the classic '80s sort of sound) with either just a hint of it for 'space' or pump it up for that Leon Todd solo thing. LOl.

This works well for the way I approach rig design, and each preset is a set of scenes with different amps of a similar vein. For example, as shown in this photo, I have four different Friedman amps, each progressively higher gain and the fifth scene with a solo setup, typically a +4db scene level boost which works very well in my particular band(s). I have a Fender, Class-A, Marshall, Bogner, Friedman, and Soldano preset, all with 4 separate amp channels/cabs and a solo scene. My effects are consistent across all my presets (Wah, Compression, Volume, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Pitch (Crystals), Rotary, Trem, Delay, and (*Reverb-as detailed above)).

We run in-ear monitors running our PA, a QSC based system (with a QSC Touchmix 16 board, K10.2 tops, and their 112 subs (2 of each)). I run the mix from the stage. I can also use this rig at festivals/jams with powered monitor(s) and earplugs (I suffer from Tinnitus).

Suppose you have any questions, fire away. I'll do my best to answer them.
Nice Scott!
Intrigued by the TC Talk Box. I could use some of that Pitch correction! Lol!
Nice set up and very cool rundown.

As always, great rig and terrific job sharing the details and logic behind it. Thank you again brother!

Very nice, and thank you for sharing the photo and description. I do have one question:

Is there a specific technical advantage of using the power supply (Cioks DC-10) to power the FM3.....as opposed to just plugging the FM3 into the nearest AC power source?

Very nice, and thank you for sharing the photo and description. I do have one question:

Is there a specific technical advantage of using the power supply (Cioks DC-10) to power the FM3.....as opposed to just plugging the FM3 into the nearest AC power source?

I might think that a regulated power supply might have its benefits compared to a straight AC plug...same reason you put your computer through a quality UPS or surge protector, yes? The Cioks uses only so much amperage draw. Unless Scott is overloading his circuit, he's safe.

Scott’s Board has four things that require power. Five, if you count the LED lighting. There’s definitely an advantage to not running five power cords and wall warts to the nearest five outlets. :)

@Scott Peterson Nice board! Thanks for sharing & the run down. I'm comparing your Mono large board & padded case vs. the similarly sized Pedaltrain Novo 32 with the road case w/wheels. I have a few questions about the Mono bag. How well does your board fit, specifically in regard to the height of the FM3 & FC6? Any problem zipping it up? Does the top of the bag have much padding to protect the Fractal units? And finally, is it unwieldy to carry due to the weight & size? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom