My five-scenes Engl patch pops when changing scenes

Hello Jakobscortum, I downloaded your patch (sounds pretty awesome by the way) but I could not get it to "pop" when changing scenes. I was only changing scenes using the front panel while sustaining a chord, but it was smooth across all the scenes.

One thing I did notice was that it was getting close to clipping a lot of the time. Might be worth turning down the amp level control.

Last edited:
i tried it as well. no popping.

is the Volume Block the only Global block?

amp 1 x is way too loud.

Most of the popping I'm hearing is when going in/out of Scene 2. That that has an X/Y switch on the amp block (Amp2) and on the Cab block.

Intersting!!! Sitting in AxeEdit on Scene #2, toggle the Cab block between X/Y using the UI. I hear a *POP*. So, that is worth checking into.

Either try running two cab blocks (you're high on CPU already), or, set up the cab block to Stereo Ultrares and get your two cabs that way (amp blocks panned hard L/R, into dual-mono cabs, pan back to center on the way out of cab block).

I notice the Cab X/Y have different settings in the preamp section. One has "none" and the other "Tape 50us". Playing a chord and switching that setting creates a similar pop...

The pop (little "snaps," really), seems to only occur when there's audio signal present. Notice that, at every pop, the audio drops immediately to zero for a moment. Such an abrupt waveform change will always cause artifacts like that.

The "drop to zero" is due to X/Y switching in some of your blocks. That is a separate issue than the popping. I heard the pops/snaps clearly as in your recordings. They seem to be coming from the Cab block due to the X/Y switch.

I was able to "prove" this by recreating the pop/snap by simply toggling the X/Y state of the Cab block in AxeEdit.

Yes, there is something slightly different about this when there is signal present, but I was able to reduce it to the cab block so I'd start there.

Either run two cab blocks, or run a Stereo Ultrares as I described above. That will get rid of the X/Y switch and, hopefully, this popping issue.

There is probably a bug to write up here about the cab block popping when the preamp is switched due to X/Y.

Switching X/Y means the audio stream has to pause for a moment while the parameters for the other side are loaded. Interrupting or restarting the stream will cause a discontinuity that may be heard as a pop or a snap.

X/Y is good for when you just want to stomp into a different sound. If you're holding a chord while that happens, there are other ways, as fractalz mentioned.

I think we are both talking about dropouts in the AMP block when using X/Y. I should have made that clear above.

I have had good luck X/Y switching the same amp model, which the OP patch does. Otherwise, it is drop-out city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is this a bug or ? [emoji4]

The popping on X/Y on the Cab is not great. Probably worth a bug report. The solve will probably be to mute it for a second, giving a dropout instead (my guess).

There are things that prevent seamless scene changes and they should be avoided. X/Y on Cabs in general, X/Y on amps to different models, X/Y on delay blocks. There are probably others - maybe we need a wiki page?

I think a stereo Ultrares Cab will help this patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom