My first tonematch: Black Dahlia Tonematch

theo

Experienced
Here's my first attempt at tonematching a guitar tone. The recording is off the album Nocturnal by The Black Dahlia Murder. I tried to come up with a riff similar to something they'd play. The lead tone actually had a tiny bit of ride captured by accident which made it kinda fizzy, I smoothed it a bit to reduce the peak and in the mix it seems to cut well enough. Maybe I'll put a lowpass on still though and see how that affects it. Feedback encouraged!!

Hmmm what if you try the opening riff that briefly cuts to one guitar in To A Breathless Oblivion? I'll be trying to tonematch this section I mentioned with Ozone and see how that'll do.

How do the guitar tonematch tracks sound alone compared to the album's tone? In the album I hear more bite so I was curious about that.

Hey that's a much better section than the one I was trying! Thanks a lot man! Can't believe I missed it, I'll try that tonight after work. Guitars alone sound pretty similar, slightly less present, I'm pretty sure it's my awful bass tone that's wrecking it. Got any good suggestions for a bass tone match?

No problem man! I know that album like the back of my hand :razz

Your bass tone ain't bad at all actually. It actually sounds kinda similar to the bass tone in Nocturnal. Hell you can tone match your bass to that soloed bass section in I Worship Only What You Bleed :)

You can get your bass controlled with a compressor or even a multiband compressor after the compressor and eq and then use the fader in your DAW to kill the bass in the mix and slowly raise it until the low end of the mix is there but without the bass being up so high. Your bass won't POP out randomly that way either :)

This is crazy, I was just thinking about tonematching this album yesterday.

The beginning of everything went black has about a half second of just guitar as well, maybe you could add that to whatever else you tonematch so there is more variation. I'm only listening on my laptop speakers right now, but the tone sounds more like miasma than nocturnal to me. Miasma was more gritty whereas nocturnal was more precision. But i'd need to listen with headphones again.

So I just tonematched both the nocturnal and deflorate album tones on Ozone 5 and the differences are surprising to say the least. Nocturnal's tone is brighter and more processed than Deflorate's tone. It's also a bit stiffer? Or a bit harder to play than deflorate's tone. Deflorate was processed to a less extremity and feels quite Rad to play alone or with a track. If I can get my hands on the .wav file of the sine curve to make the IR .wav so I can then process to .syx or whatever format the Axe 2 uses (gen 1 user here) then I'd gladly post the irs. :)

I tone matched the guitar from to a breathless oblivion earlier today. Same as before I get this really weird high pitched hollow bell like tone in my match that doesn't dissappear until I turn the smoothing up to about 45% I don't understand where it's comingfrom as tthere's definitely no cymbals present in the price I'm matching from.

Back
Top Bottom