My first RW/IR-Lab cabinet mix..let me know what you think

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
Here's the audio (new take...bothered to get the timing down):

Oh and the amazing solo is for EdgE....it's the sound of a guy just giving the hell up. I just learned how to play the rhythm part right tonight, will work on the lead later. I cut it off when the backing track's guitar came in.

Here's the recipe for the Cab using RW BasketweaveG12M25s library (it's in user slot 10 in the preset):

Code:
===This is Cab IR Sorter - Cab IRs Recipe File===
RW
\BasketweaveG12M25s-AxeII\Red Wire Impulses\BIGBox\Axe-Fx II\BasketweaveG12M25s\Ambient Mics\BasketweaveG12M25s-R121-NullAndWall-12in.syx
RW_BasketweaveG12M25s-R121-NullAndWall-12in
RW
\BasketweaveG12M25s-AxeII\Red Wire Impulses\BIGBox\Axe-Fx II\BasketweaveG12M25s\Neumann U87\BasketweaveG12M25s-U87-ConeEdge-3in.syx
RW_BasketweaveG12M25s-U87-ConeEdge-3in
RW
\BasketweaveG12M25s-AxeII\Red Wire Impulses\BIGBox\Axe-Fx II\BasketweaveG12M25s\Neumann U87\BasketweaveG12M25s-U87-Cap-1in.syx
RW_BasketweaveG12M25s-U87-Cap-1in
RW
\BasketweaveG12M25s-AxeII\Red Wire Impulses\BIGBox\Axe-Fx II\BasketweaveG12M25s\Neumann KM84\BasketweaveG12M25s-KM84-Cone-4in.syx
RW_BasketweaveG12M25s-KM84-Cone-4in
RW
\BasketweaveG12M25s-AxeII\Red Wire Impulses\BIGBox\Axe-Fx II\BasketweaveG12M25s\Shure SM57\BasketweaveG12M25s-SM57-CapEdgeOffAxis-0_5in.syx
RW_BasketweaveG12M25s-SM57-CapEdgeOffAxis-0_5in
RW
\BasketweaveG12M25s-AxeII\Red Wire Impulses\BIGBox\Axe-Fx II\BasketweaveG12M25s\Neumann U67\BasketweaveG12M25s-U67-Cap-2in.syx
RW_BasketweaveG12M25s-U67-Cap-2in
RW
\BasketweaveG12M25s-AxeII\Red Wire Impulses\BIGBox\Axe-Fx II\BasketweaveG12M25s\Neumann U67\BasketweaveG12M25s-U67-CapEdge-2in.syx
RW_BasketweaveG12M25s-U67-CapEdge-2in
RW
\BasketweaveG12M25s-AxeII\Red Wire Impulses\BIGBox\Axe-Fx II\BasketweaveG12M25s\Neumann U47\BasketweaveG12M25s-U47-CapEdge-2in.syx
RW_BasketweaveG12M25s-U47-CapEdge-2in
RW
\BasketweaveG12M25s-AxeII\Red Wire Impulses\BIGBox\Axe-Fx II\BasketweaveG12M25s\Ambient Mics\BasketweaveG12M25s-TC30-RoomL.syx
RW_BasketweaveG12M25s-TC30-RoomL
RW
\BasketweaveG12M25s-AxeII\Red Wire Impulses\BIGBox\Axe-Fx II\BasketweaveG12M25s\Ambient Mics\BasketweaveG12M25s-R121-NullAndWall-Room.syx
RW_BasketweaveG12M25s-R121-NullAndWall-Room
False

^^Copy the stuff in the code box, paste it into a .txt file and load it into IR-Lab. Open up IR-Mixer and save it, load it to slot 10 (or just change it in the preset).

Downloaded the backing track from here:

Van Halen - So This Is Love Free Guitar Backing Track

Figured out the basic rhythm last night by ear, still working on getting the groove down and the solo is way beyond my skillset. But I think that it sounds pretty good. No extra crap going on, its the backing track and the guitar straight from the AxeFXII and no mixing or anything either.

And here's the preset:

Attachments

• EVH-shasha.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Great job Shasha. With so many mics its almost like an idealized model of the speaker.

Thanks, thats pretty much what I was shooting for from the onset. I wasn't even planning on trying to do a Van Halen style patch, but I had about 90% of it there as soon as I started adding IR's into the mix. I was using a new method that really sped things up for me. Record a cut from the AxeFX with the cab and everything afer bypassed and fed to the output. Load that into IR-Lab and then route the audio into the SPDIF input of the AxeFXII and disable the cab and everything before it. Then just start loading IR's one at a time and try to pick a variety of flavors that I thought would compliment one another.

What really made the difference was adding ambiient mics in there.

Oh yeah, if you like the patch you can use factory cab 37 and get pretty close. Its missing a bit of the bottom and top end, but you might be able to dial that in with the speaker resonance tab.

Damn you stopped right before the lead:D Funny I can play the lead ,but I Haven't even touch on mixing cabs.Sounds good for just getting it down.Gotta get the guitar on one side and reverb tail on the other side.Tones pretty damn close

Yeah the lead I recorded was basically the first lead in phrase (which was really easy to figure out and it sounds almost spot on in the neck position) and then went right to an epileptic seizure and ended with a pulled hamstring and some weird stain on the floor. :mrgreen

:D Yea it one of those leads ,the more you try to figure exactly what position he's playing ,or is that 3 note's per string ,wait maybe its a pull off and aside ,e string or higher on the b:lol I put this link in another thread ,but nobody said any thing about .invaluable tool check it out. Seventh String Software - the home of Transcribe!

Back
Top Bottom