My First PRS

MojoBodies

Inspired
I've been playing a while... a long while, a very long while and I've owned a lot of guitars but mostly Charvels and Jacksons. When I saw a PRS with a Floyd and Maple board it interested me. To be honest with you I didn't even know who Dustie Waring was till I saw the guitar and did a little research. Here are the pics I have no comments on how it plays... I just pulled it of the box and wanted to share with you guys.

20220324_152433 (2).jpg20220324_152422 (2).jpg

20220324_152415 (2).jpg

Yup I never owed one ,they peak my interest though. Things I look for in a guitar are ,perfect intonation to my ear ,bar chords play easy . My style of playing has change over the years ,I play with a much lighter touch .so my guitars have to be very touch sensitive .makes
it much easier to play🎸😎

Yup I never owed one ,they peak my interest though. Things I look for in a guitar are ,perfect intonation to my ear ,bar chords play easy . My style of playing has change over the years ,I play with a much lighter touch .so my guitars have to be very touch sensitive .makes
it much easier to play🎸😎
They're....weird, in that regard.

They are easy to play, and I have absolutely no idea what's responsible for it. I could also be totally wrong, but at least to my hands...Gibsons reward a very light touch. Fenders kind of seem to react best when you beat the hell out of them. PRSs....are in-between. They don't reward delicate playing quite like my LP does and can put up with more "just hit it" kind of aggression, but still choke out before my old strat really came into its own.

I'm probably making it up and just getting that from how they look or something. But, I can't get past that impression.

Congratulations! Two of mine are in the picture to the left. 2001 Custom 24, 2021 Mark Holcomb 7-String, and I just purchased a 2022 Semi-Hollow Vela S2. I loves my Custom and still do that it took me 20 years to buy another one. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

By the way my Custom 24 plays like butter. Very easy to play for hours on end!

Last edited:
I've noticed that too .... I've always attributed it to the scale length ....
I'm not convinced...but mine's a 594. I think it's actually just a bit shorter than Gibson, rather than being between Fender and Gibson scale lengths.

But....after a bazillion YT videos trying to convince me what does and does not matter about guitar design, I've finally realized that I just don't care about any of the why.

I'll spend quite a while with plugins (or loops through analog gear) in plugin doctor or recording sweeps/impulses to analyze. I'll go back to things over and over again. I have a pretty decent idea how to read spin data for speakers. I've lost count of the number of blind abx tests for converter loopbacks and mult'd mic pres I've done....I'm very much an objective kind of person about a lot of music tech stuff...but guitars are different.

I just care whether I like it or not.

It probably makes shopping for guitars harder, but....that honestly doesn't happen all that often. I've got 2 electrics that I love, one acoustic that I like okay that ticks that acoustic box, and a couple collecting dust that I need to get around to selling. I'm not really looking for anything, and I don't feel like I'm missing out by not owning a bunch of others, but I'll also pick up and play basically anything when I'm in a shop just to see what it's like. And if it doesn't immediately hit me as "wow"....then I just assume it's someone else's guitar and move on.

FWIW, I did that with a lot of PRSs before I played my 594.

My 2 favorite guitars are a PRS CU24 from the PRS Experience 2011, I purchased it used in mint condition.
And a PRS Tremonti in Honeyburst uesd/mint.

congrats! I was on a hunt not long ago for a PRS but just nothing available at the time so I went a different direction and now of course my one local shop has a whole bunch of gorgeous PRS' giving me some serious temptations. They got a Dustie just like yours , there

So @MojoBodies played it yet?
Absolutely! Thanks for asking... It feels good, sounds good... the actions is a little high for my taste but very playable... it came with 10's and once I tuned it to Eb it was more comfortable to my old fingers. Most of my guitars are 25.5 scale with 9s tuned to Eb. The PRS neck feels wide I know its an illusion because of the thinner neck profile than my SoCal as both have the same nut width. The satin finish on the neck feels good.. the painted neck is not bad, one of the things I was not sure about on it. The other thing I will knock it on is the rear control plate is not recessed... of course I knew this before purchasing and that did cause a little pause along with no case. I would think that a case and recessed control plate isn't too much to ask for at this price point. So to list the things that gave me pause purchasing this...
No OFR - it has the floyd 1000.
Non recessed control and spring plates.
The painted neck.

The one thing I wasn't aware of was the nitro finish... It looks great and feels great... I love the flat finish on this guitar. I have 10 days to decide if I'm going to keep it or not and another guitar incoming tomorrow...

BTW many thanks to MF for the quick shipping... I bought it on Tuesday morning and it was at my door Thursday by 1pm

That's putting a positive spin on it :)
A couple minutes and you’re all set.

I thought these had satin necks - it’s easy to satin-ize if that is your thing (and you want to keep it).

Is this FR bridge behaving any worse than your other guitars?

A couple minutes and you’re all set.

I thought these had satin necks - it’s easy to satin-ize if that is your thing (and you want to keep it).

Is this FR bridge behaving any worse than your other guitars?
Yes the neck is satin... the Charvel is oiled by comparison... I have a dozen or so guitars with oiled necks. It's just my preference. The Floyd is fine. I have guitars with both OFR and the 1000 its just the $2,649 price tag and no OFR.... not a huge deal but it gave me pause. I know The EVH Wolfgang sig at $4,500 has the same 1000 on it and so does the $1000 Wolfgang special. If you are wondering... I'm leaning on keeping it... There's something about the way it plays I really like, maybe its the different scale length or combo of that and other things.

These are really nice guitars and they play so well!
I had one and I ended up selling it through Covid as I wasn't as much a fan of the matte finish after a year.
Very nice axe, either way!

Congrats on a sweet axe! Got my first PRS in Feb '21 and now I have 3 (McCarty 594 HBII, CU24, PS CU24)!! And I want 5 more (Santana Retro, McCarty Single Cut, PS Angelus, ME V, Paul's Guitar)!!! Hope it works out for you!!!!

Congrats on a great guitar! I bought my first PRS in 2002 - a Custom 24 10 top. I have several other guitars, but it still by far my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom