My first month with the Axe-Fx III

First of all welcome to the Fractal family! :) This is a really good community so feel free to as any questions.

As for your options, especially if you come from a long tube amp background I highly recommend the 2:90 route. That power amp (the best power amp by the way!) will make the Axe-Fx III sound and feel just like a real tube amp with real cabinets. Solid state and FRFR is where I feel people have the most difficulties adjusting even when it might be more convenient.

Do you have any experience with the 2:50 vs the 2:90 and the Axe FX III? I'm still undecided as to what I want to do but if I went tube I'm curious if the 2:50 would be sufficient.

Volume-wise I'm sure a 20/20 would be enough for most use cases but sound-wise I'd definitely pick a 2:90 or 2:100. Not sure about the 2:50. I've had one the older vintage 2:50s but I can't remember exactly why I didn't like it. Hmm... about the FRFR stuff. I think it's a big leap for a traditional tube guy, probably the biggest transition coming from a tube rig to modelers.

Volume-wise I'm sure a 20/20 would be enough for most use cases but sound-wise I'd definitely pick a 2:90 or 2:100. Not sure about the 2:50. I've had one the older vintage 2:50s but I can't remember exactly why I didn't like it. Hmm... about the FRFR stuff. I think it's a big leap for a traditional tube guy, probably the biggest transition coming from a tube rig to modelers.

I don't need the extra power but from what I'm reading the 2:90 allows for blended power tubes as well... EL34 on one side, 6L6 on the other. Brilliant. As I'm currently using the power amps of my Mark V and TC100 with the Axe-FX III and enjoy the tone (one has EL34, the other 6L6) this sounds perfect.

I find it interesting though, I currently leave power amp modelling ON in the Axe-FX III and really prefer it this way even though I'm using the power amps of my tube amps. Does this make any sense?

In any case, what I'm thinking I'll do is set up two separate stackable racks, and that way I can transition to FRFR as I feel ready. Or I can alternate between the two whenever I'm in the mood for one or the other and also depending on the environment I'm playing in.

I'll put the Axe FX III in a SKB shallow 6U rack with a power conditioner (leaving 2U for future gear - a SS power amp, wireless or whatever else comes up) and pick up a Mesa 2:90 and keep it in it's own separate 2U rack.

This way I can bring along the Mesa 2:90 when I want, and if I want to use FRFR I just leave the rack with the Mesa 2:90 behind.

Thanks again for everyone's input - it's much appreciated.

Cheers.

Also a Boogie guy here so that's why I highly recommend the 2:90. :) Probably the best thing would be to at least try FRFR vs real cab to see how you like it. After all these will all be subjective opinions.

With leaving the power amp modelling on you're essentially getting more lows and highs and less middles. There's not necessarily anything wrong with doing it but you'll be closer to a real tube amp if you turn it off. Once again it'll be subjective. :)

Look around in this section I've moved this to. Plenty of experiences to read about.

There are very many options you have here. The easiest are the CLR and other powered cabs. A bit more complex is a Matrix (or like) and your cabs.

Everyone is different, so try a few and see what fits your ear. As you've found, not all PA/FRFR speakers are alike.

Just out of curiosity, why would a Matrix SS amp with my cabs be more complex?

CLR it's straight in. Axe does all the lifting. The other way you simply have more connections (Axe to Matrix...Matrix to Cabs) in the other direction. And decisions on whether to use Power Amp modeling, cab sims, etc.

-R

CLR it's straight in. Axe does all the lifting. The other way you simply have more connections (Axe to Matrix...Matrix to Cabs) in the other direction. And decisions on whether to use Power Amp modeling, cab sims, etc.

-R

Thanks. I'm currently watching Cooper Carter's Axe FX III Master Class and he mentions a few things as well. Setting the output mode on the amp block to SS Power Amp + Cab. Also how to find the resonating frequency when using a SS amp with guitar cab. Neat stuff, and lots to think about...

Cheers.

One more quick question. I use feedback a lot with the songs I'm writing. Will a FRFR wedge solution (such as the Atomic CLR) provide feedback like a traditional cab?

Tube amps have this resonance thing with guitar cabs. Axe models that, so you get that resonance with FRFR, but it’s trickier with guitar cabs because your model doesn’t necessarily match the cab’s resonant frequency. So you have to dial that in specifically for your cabs for each amp model you use. I think you can read about it in the Tech Notes section of this forum, Cliff wrote about it.

I personally did that, going first through an amp’s power section, then to using an ENGL power amp (liked it WAY better than the 2:90, actually), then to Mattix with guitar cabs and finally to just IEMs. :)

But that was a path and some adjustment. I don’t think I would have been happy with just IEMs at first. Now I wouldn’t go back to stage cabs if you paid me. No matter FRFR or not.

But that was a path and some adjustment. I don’t think I would have been happy with just IEMs at first. Now I wouldn’t go back to stage cabs if you paid me. No matter FRFR or not.

I actually use headphones a lot during band practice. Drums are mic'ed up into my audio interface and the Axe FX III is connected direct with SPDIF. But I love a good room sound as well for inspiration.

I'm curious, if you are using IEM without a speaker on stage how can you get any feedback? Or is that something you don't play with? I have a few songs that depend on that feedback... :p

I'm curious, if you are using IEM without a speaker on stage how can you get any feedback? Or is that something you don't play with? I have a few songs that depend on that feedback... :p

Somehow there’s always enough volume to get feedback. At rehearsals, since everybody is using IEMs, we can always turn overall volume as much as we want without risk of getting deaf. At gigs - well, there just seems to be enough volume. :)

Actually, it’s easier to get feedback with the III than it was with the II because the inputs are much less noisy, and I use very little gate.

Then there are a couple tricks. In one song we used to play I absolutely needed feedback no matter what, so I had a preset with a pitch shifter and expression pedal (someone on this forum made one, I did something similar). Also, as long as there’s some volume at all, you can always summon some extra gain.

But mostly I don’t have to do anything special.

So you're now using the Axe FXIII with a Mesa 2:50 and Mesa cabs? I read a discussion on another forum that implied the 2:50 was more neutral than the 2:90. Did you have that experience? Also, do you leave power amp simulation on? I leave it on with my tube amps currently and find it sounds good without having to disable it.
Yes I feel it is more neutral sounding but sounds similar to my 2:90 in normal mode. I compared my Mesa 2:50 to a couple different solid state amps suggested and the 2:50 has a fuller warmer tone. So if one wanted to call that colorization, I guess you could argue it is. But changing brands of tubes in a tube amp can change the character and tone as well. I always have power amp and cab blocks on and adjust my amp, drive, cab, etc. and EQ blocks accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom