My first live gig with Version 10.05 firmware

larryseyer

Inspired
I've been using my AXE FX II for about a year now on live gigs. It's been a rock solid unit and except for a couple of times when it wouldn't boot up, I've had no problems with it at all. (the boot up problem apparently happens when I have my liquid-foot plugged in during the boot process - the fix was to plug in the liquid foot AFTER the AXE finished booting... but I digress)

Ever since version 9 came out, I've been very happy with my guitar sounds and reluctant to switch from it since I had all of my patches dialed in and sounding so nice. Everything I could ever hope for in a guitar system I had - the AXE FX II, a great wireless system, and 3 RCF NX-12 SMA monitors.

Super!

But the peer pressure to make the switch from firmware version 9 to version 10 finally got to me a couple of months ago.

So I backed up all of my version 9 presets and loaded version 10 into the machine - come hell or high water I was going to make the switch (or so I thought).

After I first loaded in the version 10 firmware, I tried loading my old version 9 patches into the AXE FX II.

I was severely disappointed. They all sounded distorted and horrible to my ears.

"Oh no!", I thought to myself, "Cliff has lost it and finally gone too far!"

I had thought that maybe in Cliff's efforts to make the 'perfect box', he somehow lost sight of the goal of making a great sounding unit in favor of a 'more realistic' sounding emulator.

So, two months ago, I panicked and re-loaded version 9 firmware into my machine and (thankfully) all of my old version 9 presets came back to life and I felt a breath of fresh air. I did the gig and was very happy with my sounds - and so was the rest of the band and the audience.

About a month ago, I decided I would give version 10 another try - but this time, I was going to start from scratch - even though I TOTALLY HATE DOING THAT!!!!!

I clean booted my AXE, wiped it fresh resetting everything back to factory defaults.

Then I uploaded the version 10 firmware.

Slowly, I painstakingly sifted through as many of the amp presets as my patience would tolerate. There were so many I had never tried!!!! Too many choices!

But eventually, I found some (new to me) interesting amps and re-created all of my patches and even chose some amps from a group that I had previously poo poo'd on when using version 9.

It took a while - and I have to admit, it is not something I really want to ever do again. But, I am VERY glad I took the time to re-create my patches using version 10 firmware.

I did my first gig with version 10 last night.

HOLY SMOKES BATMAN!!!! I WAS COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY WITH HOW GREAT MY RIG SOUNDED!!!!

It was BY FAR the best guitar tone I've ever had - everyone agreed, both band and people in the audience.

Unbelievable crunch, sustain, responsiveness, realism, and FUN!!!

My reason for posting this is simple - if you're on the fence about switching to version 10 firmware from some other version because you're afraid of how much time it will take to dial your sounds back in - GET OVER IT!

Just do it.

Make the switch and spend the time.

You will be very glad that you did. I am.

Enjoy!

L

The good news is that with MIMIC we theoretically should not have vast differences with amp sounds in firmware upgrades going forward so starting from scratch shouldn't be needed.

I agree with MRGuitarabuse. Impressive website and resume Larry!!! While not trying to offend I thought I would point out that you spelled Dolly Parton's name incorrectly on the first page. You have it as Pardon. :)

Good catch!

I had corrected her spelling a while back, but when my site crashed a few months ago, I reloaded from a backup that must have been made before I fixed it.

I (re) fixed it... it's spelled correctly now (Parton)

Thanks!

L

You are welcome.

Listening to your clips the last hour. Tasteful stuff Larry. Like it a lot!

Last edited:
Do you have any good tip on how to make a good crunchy tone on FW10. I am still in the work of getting "used to" FW10. I am pretty ok with clean, rock gain and high gain... still struggling with crunch though...

Tx for this info.. very interesting. I have to admit that the move to FW 10 for me was the most impressive one for the AxeII. everything sounds punchier , more realistic.
It is all about taking the time to tweak the presets one uses. It takes some energy but the end result is always rewarding.

Do you have any good tip on how to make a good crunchy tone on FW10. I am still in the work of getting "used to" FW10. I am pretty ok with clean, rock gain and high gain... still struggling with crunch though...

Try "Buttery" and back off the gain a bit. Then back off the gain on the volume knob of your guitar to about 7 (of 10)

Choose a speaker IR that sounds 'right' to your ears.

Drive the speaker a tad.

Add FX to taste.

That's what I did.

L

Try "Buttery" and back off the gain a bit. Then back off the gain on the volume knob of your guitar to about 7 (of 10)

Drive the speaker a tad.

Add FX to taste.

That's what I did.

L

Thanks, will look into that. never tried Buttery... So many amps, so little time...

I know what you mean I played yesterday morning my Axe II, CLR Cab and Strat, sounded so sweet. Super reverb/Bassman patch with an overdrive in front is heavenly. I have been extremely happy as of late. Its been a very happy existence since 10.05. As a matter of fact now I'm actually concentrating on my learning. I'm going through a Shred course and Country Chicken Picken course. I figured you might as well go for polar opposites.

This is great to hear. Anxiously awaiting my II after great success with my Ultra. Tinkering is not an issue when you get fellow musicians coming up to you after a gig asking "what is that? I heard a flute for the beginning of Can't You See and then you ripped the solo" - ....all that from an Ultra. I can only be inspired by this and what is yet to come. Thanks for taking the time to write up.

I have no qualms about stripping everything down and starting from scratch; but I can completely understand the reluctance to do so.

Glad it worked out for you - in my own opinion and experience the change to v.10.x is/was dramatic and very satisfying.

Drive the speaker a tad.

Add FX to taste.

That's what I did.

L

The Buttery is a great amp model for those broken cleans / crunchy tones. Also in fw 10 (even though it's not Mimic'd after a real amp). I found I can get comparable tones using my main rhythm tone (BE with moderate Drive) and turning down the guitar's volume halfway.

Good to hear from you Larry!

Your input is always well appreciated. You have great ears my friend.
Love the feel and air on Round and Round we go..

Could you define what you meant by "I clean booted my AXE, wiped it fresh resetting everything back to factory defaults."?

Good to hear from you Larry!

Your input is always well appreciated. You have great ears my friend.
Love the feel and air on Round and Round we go..

Thank you!

That particular song was done with version 9 presents if I remember correctly. And I believe it was a fender patch for the rhythm and the HBE for the distorted stuff. But if you search this forum you'll find where I describe everything about how that recorded was made along with some links to the patches that I used and custom IR's that I made.

Could you define what you meant by "I clean booted my AXE, wiped it fresh resetting everything back to factory defaults."?

There is a setting somewhere in the global settings (I don't remember exactly where it is at the moment) that will let you reset the unit back to factory default settings. It won't re-upload the factory patches, but it resets everything else to 'like new' status.

The reason I did this was because I had mucked around with some of the settings and I couldn't remember which ones I changed and I wanted to get back to a baseline for starting over.

I also uploaded the factory 10 patches - which is what I meant by 'wiped it fresh'. In other words, I got rid of all of my patches.

All the best to you!

L

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom