My First Home Recording In Years!! PLEASE LISTEN AND COMMENT

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I know this still needs a lot of work but Im just getting back into recording after about a 5 year break. I was never a pro by any means. I still have a ton to learn in regards to recording and mixing. Please comment and offer any feedback you can. The acoustic and electric guitar tracks need to be redone still. I did the wrong rhythm for the electric and the acoustic track should have continued all the way through the end which i didn't do. Vocal tracks are a little rough too but i only pieced together a few takes. This was more of a recording for me to practice mixing.

Let me know what you think

All done with Pro tools 11, axefx II, Steven Slate Drums and Native Instruments Komplete 9

Thanks,
Anthony

https://soundcloud.com/boltrecords/the-scientist-rough-mix_2-cover

Thanks everyone!
Anything from a mixing standpoint that can be fixed or tweaked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you said the vocals were "scratch", but I like the feeling ! I just would put a little space around the vocal to give it some depth, especially during the falsetto parts ....

Really nice !

The only suggestion I have, unless you want it that way, is to bring out the lead a little...or a bit more.

The vocal I'm having the hardest time with. The piano seems to be more out front than the lead vocal. The vocals are just scratch takes but the mix of them should still be better even if there are a few wrong notes here and there.

Any tips on creating more space for the vocals and adding depth?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty cool!

To carve some space for the voice, EQ out some of the piano frequencies that stomp on the vocals. Also boost a little high on the vocals and add a touch ambiance. Otherwise I think the mix is cool. The lead should definitely be louder.
I'd carve the piano by reducing e/g under 6-800 by a few dBs. To taste.

Thanks. All I really did with the vocal eq is cut lows and boost around 8k a few db.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty cool!

To carve some space for the voice, EQ out some of the piano frequencies that stomp on the vocals. Also boost a little high on the vocals and add a touch ambiance. Otherwise I think the mix is cool. The lead should definitely be louder.
I'd carve the piano by reducing e/g under 6-800 by a few dBs. To taste.

What he said!

Not that the song in particular needs this but there are 2 things I do a lot to make one thing stand out over another or give more space. Could be good experiments but might not be the end product you are looking for, you'll have to decide that.
1. Side Chain piano to vocals to drop the piano down when vocals are in
2. Pan Piano and Vocals moderately (one say 30-50% L, the other the same right).

You can always play with the automation of those things as additional instruments come in.

Just meant as good exercises for additional concepts you might find useful as you are mixing more. Song sounds good, keep it up!

HTH

Kevin

Sounds very Coldplay. Nice feel and really like the vocals.
As for mix, I'm just listening to it on my iMac speakers - piano sounds loud compared to vocal.
My only real criticism is the piano sound. Sounds very "sampled".
Since it's the main instrument you need a better quality virtual piano.

Back
Top Bottom