My first gig using a Fractal unit

bishop5150

Fractal Fanatic
I played my first gig in 25 years over the weekend without a 100 watt tube amplifier and it was awesome. I play in an Ozzy Osbourne tribute band called OZZ based out of Houston Texas. We had an out of town show in San Antonio, TX a new venue for us. We were opening for a local tribute band to prove ourselves for a future headlining spot. I've been an Axe-Fx user for about 2 years now but up to this point have never gigged with it. I guess I've been to scarred to take that leap to using it live. I also own the FX8. I recently got the AX8 and decided this was the time to take my next step in my Fractal journey. So in the last few weeks I got my Axe-fx XL patches/ blocks transferred over to the the AX8 and been using it at band practice running direct to our PA to get used to it. It was sounding great. For years now I've been using 5153 100 watt halfstack's on the blue channel boosted (standard 100 watts and Stealth model) so I'm using the 5153 blue with a BB Pre drive block on the Axe. So for the gig I ran direct mono to FOH and decided to bring a active XiTone wedge to have upfront by me and my Matrix power amp and a Mesa Recto 2x12 cab to have behind me for that familiar amp feel on stage for my first time gigging it. I didn't need either. The sound man was great and had me pumped through my front monitor and it sounded amazing. The show was awesome and I dug my sound. It sounded just as good if not better than my tube amp rig. Next show is headlining the House of Blues Houston Saturday April 2nd. Our last 2 shows there I've run my 5153 half stacks in stereo. This time I will be using just my AX8 in stereo. I think my tube amp days are done. Here's some videos my wife shot with her phone from Saturdays show. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:
Thank you guys. I'm really happy with the results. In the words of Obi-Wan Kenobi... "I've taken my first step into a larger world."
I was a little nervous leading up to the show but also excited. Guess I was more nervous about not having an amp behind me which is why a brought my Matrix and 2x12 cab but I don't need it. Going forward I'll just bring my XiTione wedge. I've got the Friedman ASM-12 on back order with Sweetwater so looking forward to getting that.

Great to hear. I also recently did my fist Ax8 gig, and I felt it was glorious. It is so easy to set up how you want it, and it sounds fantastic.

Yep. I think my tube amp days are over. Looking forward to our House of Blues show in 2 weeks and giving the AX8 a go on the big stage.

What'd you use for the clean intro to Diary? Still the 5153 Blue? Sounds great!
Thanks! That was the 5153 green channel for the clean. I basically set the AX8 up just like my real 5153 amp and G-System setup.
Sounds great! I even dig how you have the appropriate guitars for the right ozzy eras. Cheers!
Lmao! Thank you for noticing that. Not many people do. Although I'm not using my black SG for the Sabbath stuff. I just don't want to bring another guitar. But since I'm not lugging around halfstacks anymore I guess I can bring more guitars.

Damn, that sounded great! Your entire bands tone was incredible and your guitar tone was just freaking "Randy" baby! (Said in my best Austin Power's voice).

I would pay to see you guys. Outstanding job and you have nothing...NOTHING to be concerned about regarding your tone.

Damn, that sounded great! Your entire bands tone was incredible and your guitar tone was just freaking "Randy" baby! (Said in my best Austin Power's voice).

I would pay to see you guys. Outstanding job and you have nothing...NOTHING to be concerned about regarding your tone.
Thank you man. I have a blast jamming with these guys.

I just don't want to bring another guitar. But since I'm not lugging around halfstacks anymore I guess I can bring more guitars.
Gotta say Bishop, that's the most 'guitarist' thing I've heard all week.

"I'm tired of dragging around tens of kilos for one amp. So I bought a box which can do hundreds of amps in a few kilos.

Now I can bring tens of kilos of guitars..."

Sounds great in the mix where was the volume at front panel of axe ?
Im wondering where that sits live. Also what amp and cab you playing ?

Just updated Q 2.2 so adjusting levels again..

I think your guitar sound is spot on sounds superb in the mix which is king.

Last edited:
Nice job on the sampled cough going into Sweet Leaf, wasn't expecting that. Not your standard album opening, even in '71! Reminded me of my first Sabbath listen as an 11 year old. Took me right back to those raised purple letters on the MoR cover! Tone sounds great. I think your back will be overjoyed with the next load in!

Back
Top Bottom