My first FAS product - FM9T - coming from Helix.

Oh yea, forgot to say.. really glad you’re happy with the new unit, makes me hopeful there will be justification for the $1850 and wait time!
I just came from Helix, as well...had it for over 4 years and used a POD before that. I really had no complaints about Helix. I had heard so much about Fractal and then the FM9 that I decided to give it a try. I've had it for nearly a month now and it's amazing. The sounds I get out of the FM9 compared to the Helix are SO much better. I feel like the different amps in Helix are mislabeled, or something. When using FM9, if I am building a preset and decide to use a Marshall JCM800, it sounds like a freakin Marshall JCM800. I don't feel Helix was accurate. Although I could certainly get a decent sound from Helix, it was just hit-or-miss.

I just came from Helix, as well...had it for over 4 years and used a POD before that. I really had no complaints about Helix. I had heard so much about Fractal and then the FM9 that I decided to give it a try. I've had it for nearly a month now and it's amazing. The sounds I get out of the FM9 compared to the Helix are SO much better. I feel like the different amps in Helix are mislabeled, or something. When using FM9, if I am building a preset and decide to use a Marshall JCM800, it sounds like a freakin Marshall JCM800. I don't feel Helix was accurate. Although I could certainly get a decent sound from Helix, it was just hit-or-miss.
I have to agree, there were many HX amps I didn’t care for BUT there are a lot of real amps I don’t care for either. I tend to get all of my tones from clean fat sounding amps with good reverbs, delays, and ODs, and for that, Helix had more than enough excellent options. My FM9 shipped today and I am looking fwd to plugging it in, after all is said and done, I’m sure I’ll love it. But I have nothing bad to say about Helix tones for my preferred styles of music and the user interface is amazingingly easy to use - akin to falling off a log. I’ve watched enough videos now to know that isn’t the case with FAS in general.. a steeper learning curve required.

I have to agree, there were many HX amps I didn’t care for BUT there are a lot of real amps I don’t care for either. I tend to get all of my tones from clean fat sounding amps with good reverbs, delays, and ODs, and for that, Helix had more than enough excellent options. My FM9 shipped today and I am looking fwd to plugging it in, after all is said and done, I’m sure I’ll love it. But I have nothing bad to say about Helix tones for my preferred styles of music and the user interface is amazingingly easy to use - akin to falling off a log. I’ve watched enough videos now to know that isn’t the case with FAS in general.. a steeper learning curve required.
Not really, the deep parameters are optional, the reason im going Fractal over the Helix is that for any desired tone I may want it just takes more work and EQ'ing and Compression etc etc on the Helix, so it seems like a lot more work to get the tones I want, it also seems a lot easier to do Dual amps in Parallel as opposed to how Helix handles dual amps
Wont be the case with Fractal im sure of that

Not really, the deep parameters are optional, the reason im going Fractal over the Helix is that for any desired tone I may want it just takes more work and EQ'ing and Compression etc etc on the Helix, so it seems like a lot more work to get the tones I want, it also seems a lot easier to do Dual amps in Parallel as opposed to how Helix handles dual amps
Wont be the case with Fractal im sure of that
Agree.. HX amps take a little work, very few sound ready at the factory settings. If the FAS amps do, I’ll be floored.

You definitely can copy channels and scenes on the front panel of the Axe III, I do it all the time.
I don't have any other FAS modelers to try, but I'd be surprised if that functionality doesn't exist in them all.

Far as I know, you can't copy whole blocks from the front panel like you can in AxeEdit, presumably because there's no clipboard.
I'm late to the party but yes, my mistake - I didn't explore the Tools page of the layout view enough on the hardware itself. Since I posted I've done more on the unit without FM9-Edit,

I'm finding the only thing I wish I had was a quick way to select blocks on the grid for editing. Out of old habits I've tried touching the footswitches when in the Effects layout and expecting the block parameters to appear on screen :sweatsmile:

Still happy I made the transition to FM9 from Helix! Now if I can just dial in some hilarious synth sounds as easily I could die happy

And @surfsup1955 ^ prepare to be floored

And @surfsup1955 ^ prepare to be floored
UPS came late Thursday, only had time to do the basic setup (inputs, OFM9G, etc) on the FM9 late yesterday (Friday). But today I have been running through the presets with various guitars… yea, almost all of the presets that interested me were ready to go right out of the box. I spent a lot of time within the Bassman and AC variants, I am “floored.”

Also, I updated to 4.01 yesterday via Bot - very easy.

But the overall user interface - hmmmm? - I still have a long way to go.

I'm finding the only thing I wish I had was a quick way to select blocks on the grid for editing. Out of old habits I've tried touching the footswitches when in the Effects layout and expecting the block parameters to appear on screen :sweatsmile:
There are a few shortcuts for a few select blocks. Try double pressing the A-E knobs.

Back
Top Bottom