My first experience with 6.0 tone matching tonight = no joy.

Radley

Experienced
Edit: This thread no longer has any meaning except to thank some VERY thoughtful people on this board that helped me get my head around Tone Match (for a somewhat unusual usage). What was 'no joy' is now 'Mega Joy' because the final result was as great as I had hoped! I'm already thinking about making my own 'fizzbuster' Tone Matches, that will then be converted to IRs for the Cab block so I can have access to all the Cab parameters with a minimum of the dreaded FIZ-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z :)

Last edited:
I did a few cool things with it for fun but if you don't find an amp model that is real close to begin with it isn't going to do much for you. The AXEFX is way more of an all around rig all in one unit but if profiling is what you want I'd stick with the actual profiling lunchbox.

I didn't even succeed in getting an acceptable signal into the reference module - it is substantially more complex than explained so far, imho. If it is to be a successful feature, I believe it must be thoroughly documented and demonstrated, in an all-inclusive way...

Actually, what I was hoping to do was make a profile of a KPA profile (my own) I have tweaked to perfection - it was a novel idea, but various technicalities prevented me from achieving the end result....

It's pretty easy and is explained pretty simply in the manual. Hit X and let it listen, hit X again to stop. Hit Y to play your guitar, Y again to stop. Enter to tone match. Not sure how much easier they could have made it.

i'm not sure what isn't clear from the tone matching instructions included with the 6.0 download.

usb from what? from my computer.
guitar plugged into? the axe fx like normal.

you need to capture 2 things: the reference input (which is the tone you want to match) and the local signal (your guitar).

yes, there are 4 options to capture the reference input, but 2 of them are rare according to the manual... which leaves 2... which isn't that numerous.

USB is the easiest. If you make the axe ii your Audio Interface for your computer, when you play any sound from your computer, that sound can be the reference signal and you can capture it.

If you don't use USB, use Input 2 with the right cables to input an ipod or your computer output for capture.

What exactly did you try so far? What part don't you understand?

My AXEFX is going USB and is the sound card when I tone match. My monitors are plugged into my AXEFX. On my Mac the preferences are just set to the AXEFX as the input and output. When I did the pantera tone match I just set up an OD-AMP-TM BLOCK. Used the fas modern because i knowmit had that high end and gain. Turned to the tine block on the AXEFX turned the reference signal to USB. Opened iTunes and pulled up WALK push play then push the X button to match it for a few seconds then X again the stop. Then go back to the refeerence signal and turn it to input 1. Have you guitar plugged into the front of the AXEFX push Y and start playing the walk intro on your guitar or something close and then push Y again to stop. Push ENTER and it squashes them together and you are done. I have really good luck with that one because the FAS modern was close to the tone to start. I have had not so good luck on other matches though.

i'm not sure what isn't clear from the tone matching instructions included with the 6.0 download.

*I was using USB from my KPA*

you need to capture 2 things: the reference input (which is the tone you want to match) and the local signal (your guitar).

yes, there are 4 options to capture the reference input, but 2 of them are rare according to the manual... which leaves 2... which isn't that numerous.

USB is the easiest. If you make the axe ii your Audio Interface for your computer, when you play any sound from your computer, that sound can be the reference signal and you can capture it.

*I have no desire to use a computer for this process*

If you don't use USB, use Input 2 with the right cables to input an ipod or your computer output for capture.

*How does this relate?*

USB from what? What was your guitar plugged into? Settings on the USB device? Settings on the AFX II? Could you hear what you needed while you played the reference part? What changes did you make to then clearly hear as you played the second part? Could you see both finished responses clearly before you tone matched? (there are more questions remaining)

We need convincing clarity and thorough information to make AFX users feel in charge of these new features...

Have you gone to the tone match forum and viewed the two videos in the two stickied threads? ccroyalsenders video is pretty straight forward and simple to understand. His is using a recorded file as input so he set the reference source for USB. You could record your toaster and do that or set it for Input 2 and play into it. Per cliff you should change the reference channel from sum L+R to left or right to avoid phase issues.

Check out the video if you haven't already.

As far as the KPA vs. Axe II comparisons, I kind of don't get it. They are completely different tools and no doubt will have different instructions. I personally have found the II's tone matching quite simple to use the few times I have tried it but I didn't do anything real complicated. Sure is fun to toy around with though.

Last edited:
Did you check out the Tone Matching section of the forum? There is a clearly explained, step by step video of the process from beginning to end.

Edit: Cobbler beat me to it.

Last edited:
My goal is to understand the total potential backwards and forwards, so I can use maximum creativity with this new technology...

really not trying to be offensive here, but i'm not sure why you think a USB connection from your KPA would work. just because the cable fits doesn't mean the right data is sent. :) nowhere has any axe ii documentation stated any use for the USB connection other than as a computer interface.

you having no desire to use a computer for the capture process is fine, and that's exactly how Input 2 relates...

you do understand that you have to input some sort of reference signal into the axe fx for it to tone match right? i mean, i know you get that if you use a KPA. so... if you don't use a computer and USB connection to input that reference, it would make sense to use some other axe input to get the reference signal in there right?

let's start from the beginning.

what tone are you trying to match? do you have an audio recording of it? or is it a "live" signal?

*I was using USB from my KPA*

*I have no desire to use a computer for this process*

*How does this relate?*

I don't think USB on the KPA outputs audio, i could be wrong but it's not designed for that from what I understand, you'll need to use one of the audio outputs into the Axe.

The KPA seems very straight ahead for profiling - the AFX seems to get more complicated because of all the inputs and connectivity. This is all positive as long as the user is provided with a thorough explanation/description of the options - I believe this is lacking at present.

Not tried tone matching y et, but it "seems" simple enough. If you want to "play" to tonematch rather than using a recording - mic up the KPA and plug the mic cable into IP2 and play. Next connect your guitar direct to IP1 and play. Isnt it that simple?

Profiling on the KPA needs a mic doesnt it? although I believe you can use a direct out of an amp as well. does the KPA have a direct out of its own? if so you could use that and not have to mic up.

I find the tone matching just as easy as the profiling on the KPA, after you do it once..it's really easy with either one.

i think we really need to start from the beginning before this gets more confusing than it's becoming (because it is a very simple thing).

Radley, what are you trying to tone match?

Back
Top Bottom