My first day

So my goal of getting the FM3 was more to have a portable unit which would be easy as a grab and go to jam with my band...so what are my thoughts after a day

It is AWESOME...i held back for a long time and realize that I should have jumped on it earlier..

1) Stock amp and cab models are stupendous relative to the Helix. I found the FM3 to be way easier to dial in a very good tone for my needs as compared to the helix. The dials seemed to be way more responsive and dynamic.

2) I would definitely say the amp models within the FM3 rivals really well made profiles on the kemper. The problem I have with the kemper is once you start tweaking it does generate some artificial sonic content. It is probably an inherent limitation of the technology that the profiling process is based on. But to my ears a really good profile does sound great. The thing though is I think it is easy to get the FM3 to sound close if not better than your favorite kemper profile but the reverse may not necessarily be true.

3) The effects just sound awesome. For instance the idea of using synth pads with some some of the 80’s ballads is just enticing. I guess the helix can also do this but i found it way more difficult to get convincing sounds compared to the fm3.

overall, a very happy first day with the unit and I think it just pushed the Kemper into my backup unit. I have given up on the helix for modeling for sure. Note that i’m playing through a single headrush FRFR108. I have not yet experienced the stereo goodness if this unit and also can’t imagine how much better the unit will sound with higher end monitoring solutions.

what i need to explore now is to see if i can use my hx fx with the fm3. The hx fx primarily substituting for the FC6. If I can get the midi implementation done to replicate the OMG9 layout it would be really good.

the OMG9 specifically depends on the FM3 changing what the FC6 displays. i'm not sure you can do that with the HX Effects, but you can at least have midi commands (if it has command center?) and effects from the HX ready to press in addition to the FM3 switches. i think that's a great pairing!

the OMG9 specifically depends on the FM3 changing what the FC6 displays. i'm not sure you can do that with the HX Effects, but you can at least have midi commands (if it has command center?) and effects from the HX ready to press in addition to the FM3 switches. i think that's a great pairing!

yes i guess the two way communication was what I wanted to look into..would that be implementable via MIDI?

yes i guess the two way communication was what I wanted to look into..would that be implementable via MIDI?
they might communicate 2 ways, but i don't know if the necessary messages are available. you'd probably have to use 2 midi cables. i don't know the capabilities of the HX Effects, so i can't say.

Coming from Kemper too, and after a month or so I think there is no comparison. At least for me, the Fm3 is better at everything. Amp tones, pedals, effects, feel... everything. I believe you'll get the same experience more and more as you dig in the Fractal unit.

totally agree with the effects and pedals...man it was fun playing around with the LFO’s as modifiers...also i found the synth functions to be very usable..

Back
Top Bottom