My first Axe II clip (AC-30 model)

Axeman

Experienced
Ok, here it is. My first direct recording of the Axe II using the USB connection direct into Logic Pro 9. You will notice that I switch between neck and quack position a few times. Streets and Pride is in quack position. BDay is in neck position. This is very rough just to test the recording and see what my preliminary amp model sounds like.

I spent many hours on this AC-30 model and it's going to be my core U2 tone. Guitar is Custom Shop Strat with Kinman Woodstock pups. Wow, the tone is rich and quacky!!!!

I'm having two minor problems:

1) I'm getting some random pops while recording direct over the USB (separate from me changing the pup switch). They are small but you can hear them and they ruin any recording. They sound like the small pops you hear when you turn the level knobs (it says in the manual that this is normal as the small resistors/transistors change when turning the knobs). Could it be that the unit gain system is changing while recording and creating these small pops?

2) The USB is a direct feed into Logic. I have the levels in the AxeII set correctly because if I go any higher I get an output clip indication. HOWEVER, the level in Logic is too low and not even close to yellow. If I increase the Output1/2 pad in the I/O menu it helps, but then the Axe output clip goes off. Along the same lines, I can only adjust the input volume to the Axe with the output slider I think. In other words, there is no mixer in between to push the input levels up that go right into logic. I'm only a beginner/intermediate with Logic, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Any help would be appreciated on these two pts. Thank you!

PS - How do I get soundcloud mini track to show in this post?

Last edited:
I just learned how to embed the mini-player myself, thanks to others. Embed the URL within SOUNDCLOUND begin and end brackets.

Great tone. Even with not hittting red or indicating your cliping you might want to back off a little I know in Sonar I have got clips from recording too hot even though I never hit red might similar in Logic.

When it comes to what levels you should record at, it's a different game with digital versus analog. In the old days you wanted it close to 0 dB. Unity gain with digital gear is different. You might be running into that as you might well have been recording your original signal too hot. The real guidance is that you should record 24 Bit. Aim to get your recording levels on a track averaging about -18dBFS. It doesn't really matter if this average floats down as low as, for example -21dBFS or up to -15dBFS.
Avoid any peaks going higher than -6dBFS.

The sound for me it`s great and pop maybe with new Firmware the problem it`s solve i don´t know.....

Thanx

Ok, here it is. My first direct recording of the Axe II using the USB connection direct into Logic Pro 9. You will notice that I switch between neck and quack position a few times. Streets and Pride is in quack position. BDay is in neck position. This is very rough just to test the recording and see what my preliminary amp model sounds like.

I spent many hours on this AC-30 model and it's going to be my core U2 tone. Guitar is Custom Shop Strat with Kinman Woodstock pups. Wow, the tone is rich and quacky!!!!

I'm having two minor problems:

1) I'm getting some random pops while recording direct over the USB (separate from me changing the pup switch). They are small but you can hear them and they ruin any recording. They sound like the small pops you hear when you turn the level knobs (it says in the manual that this is normal as the small resistors/transistors change when turning the knobs). Could it be that the unit gain system is changing while recording and creating these small pops?

2) The USB is a direct feed into Logic. I have the levels in the AxeII set correctly because if I go any higher I get an output clip indication. HOWEVER, the level in Logic is too low and not even close to yellow. If I increase the Output1/2 pad in the I/O menu it helps, but then the Axe output clip goes off. Along the same lines, I can only adjust the input volume to the Axe with the output slider I think. In other words, there is no mixer in between to push the input levels up that go right into logic. I'm only a beginner/intermediate with Logic, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Any help would be appreciated on these two pts. Thank you!

PS - How do I get soundcloud mini track to show in this post?

If it is not clipping then you most likely need to increase your buffer size a bit to get rid of the clicks.

Last edited:
Grt tip, thank you!!! Will try it. Never had this problem with the Duet2. Would I need more buffer because of the USB? This Board is awesome!

Oh, and BTW, I was listening from the headphone out of the Axe II, not the computer. AND software monitoring was off. So am I listening to the orig signal leaving the Axe? That's why I didnt think it was Logic or the computer. Red clip light not going off.

Wow- when you hit Streets with the delay, it was perfect... beautiful tone! Man, I love U2... my wife is taking me to see them July 5th, but I'm not supposed to know about it! Shhh... it's a surprise! ;)

Oh, and BTW, I was listening from the headphone out of the Axe II, not the computer. AND software monitoring was off. So am I listening to the orig signal leaving the Axe? That's why I didnt think it was Logic or the computer. Red clip light not going off.

The usb signal might still be at play. If you were to have another track in logic playing pack you would hear it through the Axe-fx (unprocessed by the axe-fx).

Thx. Well, it's all I focus on, so if you are a nut like me and spend all your time on one style it pays off. I'm going to make a few changes to the preset and I'll be happy to upload it.

Btw, the U2 patch sounds great.

Thx Java. Means a lot coming from a Fractal expert. I'm actually only an intermediate skilled guitarist, but don't have kids so extra time goes into tone building. More to come. If anyone ever needs something regarding U2 on the Axe, just let me know. I offered Cliff some Axe2 U2 presets. Streets is the first. I'm also doing Vertigo, Bad and Pride. I have to rebuild all of them anyway from my Ultra.

I would love that Streets patch. My Mash-up Cover band mixes Streets with lose somebody from Kings of Leon and having that patch would sound awesome!!

Yeah, when you hit the Streets part with the delay, it is awesome ! What is the sample rate of your session, 44.1 or 48k ? In the Transport bar, it will either say 44.1k or 48k... if it is set to 44.1, switch it to 48k.... most likely that will get rid of the pops...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom