My First Annivarsary with the Gizmo

MKeditor

Experienced
A year ago I bit down on the hook and bought the black box. Shortly thereafter I sold off my eleven space rack with state of the art amps and processors. Much like Cortez, I had arrived in the new world and was burning my ships. The whole ordeal can be read here on this forum.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1176

One year and many firmware updates later, I am reflecting on my current state of tone and gear. For the most part, it has exceeded my expectations of what I wanted to accomplish. Amps, cabs and effects are far better in my current 7.04 than my original 5.23 that it shipped with. Cliff has graciously continued to polish his creation, but I stopped upgrading firmware until there is an editor to go with it. I just downloaded the new Fractal Editor and it looks good. I am sure I will pull the trigger as soon as I can verify it will work on my old laptop. But I digress....

The gizmo is far better today that when I first took the plunge. It continues to provide me with any sound I wish to bring forth from my twin QSCs. Anything can be done.....if one is willing to spend the time to coax the genie from the black lamp with the green glow. Sometimes I am more willing than others. But it waits patiently for me to ask for more.

The one area that has fallen short is that I still have no Fractal controller to be the traffic cop for the system. If memory serves me, I was first told September '08. A few deadlines later, I decided to not chase after it but let it come on it's own accord. Unfortunately my GCX is a bit limited in the number of IA buttons compared to the potential of the Ultra. I have had to be clever and assign the buttons double duty. For example the compressor button is doubling as the pitch harmony button. None of my patches have both. I am looking forward to more control. Also I just want to finalize my pedal board. I have been holding off for the Fractal controller.

At any rate, I am still thrilled with the gizmo and am glad I sailed to the new world. I would make the same decision again in a heart beat.

Long live the Axe-FX!

Michael,

Nice anniversary report. I love your metaphors. I am coming up on my first anniversary too, I will have to report in June. Also, as you know, I loved your QSCs with the Ultra, but was unwilling to go with the size and weight. So I just ordered a pair of FBT Verve 8ma's this week (got tired of waiting for the Fractal Atomics - plus I may not need that much ommph anyway). When they arrive and it is convenient, I would love to come down and A/B them with you and your other Mike.

I too am loving this black box after a year, no regrets.

blessings,
-richard

MKeditor,
Nice post, you made me reflect on how much time I spend actually thinking about how to create tones with the Axe-Fx and then tweaking to coax the "genie out of the lamp" as you so eloquently said. Here is to another great year for you and everyone else! :D

Back
Top Bottom