My first acceptable Axe-FX gain tone

And in thinking about/through my last to you, it came to me: gain is like a brash kazoo. My attempts above have reduced that to a pretty small zzzzz. I want it to be smooth, like a siren. (I did not say nubile. Not that kind of siren.)

If you could have a clean tone that didn't fade away quickly, would that be close to your sound? It seems you want sustain without the buzz? So wouldn't a clean sound that doesn't decay be what you are looking for?

If you could have a clean tone that didn't fade away quickly, would that be close to your sound? It seems you want sustain without the buzz? So wouldn't a clean sound that doesn't decay be what you are looking for?

No. If you took away the frill, there wouldn't just be a clean tone. And, even with a compressor, it wouldn't bounce when palm-muting. But I notice, tubes are hard to get to bounce that way, like solid state does real easy. My Taboo tone easily gets up to enough gain far below maxing it, and I get more transparent tone. It's less raw as well. The Taboo isn't as 'live' sounding, though, maybe partly because it's kind of dull. But not as dull as I have to make a tube sound to make it desirable.

I have this vision of an overdrive that has a huge range between none and singing, that just isn't in my experience possible with an amp....except maybe if it was up super loud and all. And that is an auto-disqual.

Thinking back, I realize I liked synth tones more than guitar tones. (Not dirty and seriously fucked with synth tones, like Andy Blacksugar does - nice if you like those, but I hate 'em.) One of the reasons I liked albums like Puppets, Cowboys, Arise, versus Ride the Lightning, Reign in Blood, many others......the guitars had more low end, less high end, and were a little more reserved in the mix. (Coma of Souls was in-between: the guitars don't chug, but they have a fair amount of mids to make them round-ish - yet not clinky like Justice....) And my perception of sound and knowledge of instruments and timbre weren't developed. Now the recordings are better than ever, and the lack of sophistication, elegance, of gain timbre is more apparent than ever. So I've been trying to learn more synth stuff....the added benefit being real volume dynamics.....but there's some articulation inherently amiss, so I haven't given up on an amp tone.........

MFW "brash kazoo"

:?

What can ya do??

Last edited:
Loquenau,

I only speak for myself here when I say (as politely as I can) that you don't have the best ear for guitar tone (hey, neither do I). Cutting at 6kHz is like cutting the tits off of Kate Upton: She's still OK and would keep you warm on a frosty night, but she's still acking a little sparkle (in this case, tits).

I would be inclined to look at the factory presets and try playing along to a recording or with a band. Your tone as it currently stands, lack clarity and upper midrange detail. Sounds like you're playing through a labrador, wrapped in a towel. This might sound great on its own, but in a mix, you're competing with the bass and not filling the part of the frequency spectrum that you should be.

There are people that are far wiser than you or I when it comes to guitar tone. Why don't you post a video of a band/guitar player that you like the sound of and we can work from there?

Loquenau,

I would be inclined to look at the factory presets and try playing along to a recording or with a band. Your tone as it currently stands, lack clarity and upper midrange detail. Sounds like you're playing through a labrador, wrapped in a towel. This might sound great on its own, but in a mix, you're competing with the bass and not filling the part of the frequency spectrum that you should be.

I agree. I'm not sure what to do about it. I have tried some of the presets. I think it's time I again give someone a holler about tone design. I've gone a bit past the time I allotted to hear back from Stel. (( edited for specificity ))

That gives new meaning to "graphic" eq!!!!!

Yeah, it's kinda funny. I like metaphor and all, so I'm hip.....not hip enough to know who he's talking about, but........

Last edited:
Yeah, it's kinda funny. I like metaphor and all, so I'm hip.....not hip enough to know who he's talking about, but........

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Kate Upton....

7196ea7c_Kate-upton-03.jpeg

And very beautiful above the neck.. :)

Ehhhhhh. Frankly, brown-eyed brunettes...of either sex.....are most attractive to me. Facially she's okay, but a little too rounded....her head is a little too round. Notice the left side of her face is more indented than her right. That's not the lighting. Eye distance is good. Nice lips, but she's got a little of that 'Chaukka' from The Land of the Lost going on in her upper palette, which her upper lip cannot easily contain. And, a common thing with that, she has a noticeable over-bite.

This post is fun to watch. I can't even.

There must be entertainment value. (My components have different paces, so it was a while later this response occurred to me.)

@Fabio: a few years ago I had a hearing test that said both ears were great bur for a notch around 4k, which the guy said was common with age. I think it's more from loud music in my car (volume, but also sonic distortion), and perhaps the few concerts I went to in my 20s. So, possibly a lacking in high definition of my hearing makes the treble of things seem scratchy, or just less than they are.

But I don't think so - because I hear the picking and the fingering of strings when people play guitar, and having heard a Classical guitarist - admittedly, back in my 20s, but still - who glided across the guitar so that his fingers didn't make a sound, and possibly also his instrument was so nice that the frets rang more like bell chimes, my buddy who studied under him said the guy's guitar was mondo sweet, and I'm still trying to get more like that.....I think may hear too well. I don't even like to hear the action on a piano, and most any piano's upper range has always been plinky to me.......

In any case. I'm used to listening to very sophisticated timbres, or very smooth electronic ones. That's what I want.

Last edited:
Ehhhhhh. Frankly, brown-eyed brunettes...of either sex.....are most attractive to me. Facially she's okay, but a little too rounded....her head is a little too round. Notice the left side of her face is more indented than her right. That's not the lighting. Eye distance is good. Nice lips, but she's got a little of that 'Chaukka' from The Land of the Lost going on in her upper palette, which her upper lip cannot easily contain. And, a common thing with that, she has a noticeable over-bite.

Dude...

There's something wrong with you. :lol

Ehhhhhh. Frankly, brown-eyed brunettes...of either sex.....are most attractive to me....

Well if that's the case, I submit the following for your approval:

avatars-000072194075-noqj5g-t500x500.jpg

Meet "CK" (not his real name) - He likes long walks on the beach, romantic dinners by candlelight, and mic'ing 4x12 cabs. Just between you & me, I hear he's quite the "super" man (if you catch my meaning). He'll brighten even your darkest tones.

Now sure, he doesn't quite have the brown eyes you desire, but after you check out the gams on this hunka hunka, I don't see how that could possibly matter:

ck_Snapseed.jpg

Something tells me you two won't have any trouble fitting into each others "mix". :)

Last edited:
It's just goin, man!

I'm an aesthete. I reckon the world in aesthetic terms, and I have very specific preferences.

I'm not sexually attracted to males. I just find brown-eyed brunettes, or just brown eyes, more appealing. And symmetry is very appealing. Notice the symmetry of that guy's face.

However, a distinct sort of counter point is that one's outer beauty doesn't equate to their emotional, and hence energistic, capability. Guys typically go all fantasy over hot chicks. Regardless of 'attractive' level, I've just stopped when they weren't enough there. Dick knows and says, 'no, you're not here, I'm going home'.

Back
Top Bottom