My feature wishlist: top-5

Zorzella

I love the Fractal products. I think of it as a better-than-real amp (well, hundreds of them). But I think there’s some usability issues that could easily be dealt with. Here’s my wishlist, in rough priority order:

1. Custom channel names. I would like to be able to look at my FC6, and, instead of seeing “Drive 1A”, see “Hot TS9” or “Mild Fuzz”. I.e. I would like to be able to give each channel a name: a short, custom string, and tell the FM3 to display when that channel is active. Wouldn’t it be better to show “Univibe” or “Mistress” instead of “Phaser 1A”? Or “HBE” instead of “Amp A”?
  2. Block Library match (an FM3-Edit-only feature). Let’s say I’m looking at a Delay block that matches exactly a saved block in my library. I would love for FM3-Edit to tell me that, so I know which blocks are set according to my “favorites” in the block library, and (consequently) which ones are not.
  3. “Channel Library” (again an FM3-Edit-only feature). When I download block definitions from the internet, it’s never clear to me if the blocks have more than one channel actually tweaked (and which one(s)). Just like I can save/load/share blocks, it’d be great to be able to load/save/share individual channels.
  4. “Authentic” elsewhere. Like the Amp block has an “authentic” section with the controls present in the particular amp being modelled, this would be useful for other blocks: particularly things like Drive, Flanger, Phaser, Chorus and Compressor. An “Authentic” section on Drive would save me from looking into Yek’s guide every time I need to remember which control is the fourth knob for the “Tube Drive 4-Knob”. And wouldn’t it be great to have an “Authentic” Mistress or Univibe? I love being able to tweak with parameters not present in the original devices, but many of these pedals were carefully crafted such that the knobs work well together. Having this “Authentic” page would make using the FM3 that much easier, particularly for beginners.
  5. A better transient detector. I know I can configure an ADSR controller to create, say, a touch-wah effect. But the trigger for the ADSR is a volume threshold. It can’t really be configured such that it works across a variety of input dynamics. I would really love it if I could set it to behave like a “transient analyzer” -- largely independent of the absolute input volume.

So, there. That’s my top-5 wishes. What do y’all think?

4. Already there for the Drive block. Just named basic instead of authentic.
5. Use the Envelope Follower.

Hey, Leon (love your channel, btw), biskitboy:

The "envelope follower" is not 5. In broad strokes, the "envelope follower" basically establishes a function to map a volume in the input with a "position" for that controller. The louder, the "greater" the controller position... What I would like is to be able to trigger an ADSR every time the FM3 detects a transient. No matter what the input volume/sustain, it would just run the ADSR I configured there...

I'll admit that Drive has been moving towards something like an "Authentic" section (and that I missed the fact that the 4-knob Tube Driver had a correct Basic section, now). But while the Basic approximates Authentic, but it's not it, really... E.g. a Face Fuzz does not have a tone control. And, pedantically, an MXR does not have a volume. The volume situation, I realize, is somewhat complicated by the fact that Volume knob is a bit of a "special" thing in the Drive block, to the side in the mixer section.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not quite following you on #5.

A transient is a change in amplitude (aka, volume).

Set the ADSR to "Retrigger" and optionally lower Threshold.

Back
Top Bottom