My favourite new power amp! Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170

How many ohms is your cab? I have a 16ohm and wondering if it will power it with enough volume? - Axe Fx II XL+

It will do 16 ohms no worries. I don't usually even look at the ohms for any cab I plug into. I only really use 4X12 or 2X12 and I've never had a problem.

I've been really curious about SS poweramps lately as well. @yek Thanks for giving feedback about the Matrix GT100FX vs the SD 170/700. I think you've sold me! Also, the 3 band EQ really addresses one of the Axe-Fx's biggest weak points for live playing, which is that there are no instantly exposed and available controls for tweaking while playing.

The only thing I don't like about the PowerStage 700 is that it feels like it was designed half for standalone use and half for rack installation, and as a result it's ideal for neither. The fact that the inputs are on the front is simply poor design for every situation because you're forced to muck up your rig with cables being routed to the front of it to dangle around everywhere (whether it's sitting by itself or in a rack), and the thing has a weird non-standard height of 1.5 U. Move the inputs to the back and make the thing fit a clean 2U profile and it would be perfect.

I do have one question about it though. How's the volume sweep feel? Does the volume turn up easily and gradually so you can play at home volumes with minimal issue, or does it go from 0 to rip your head off if you barely touch the volume control?

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like about the PowerStage 700 is that it feels like it was designed half for standalone use and half for rack installation, and as a result it's ideal for neither. The fact that the inputs are on the front is simply poor design for every situation because you're forced to muck up your rig with cables being routed to the front of it to dangle around everywhere (whether it's sitting by itself or in a rack), and the thing has a weird non-standard height of 1.5 U. Move the inputs to the back and make the thing fit a clean 2U profile and it would be perfect.

+1

I posted almost the SAME thing (adding that the power switch should be in the front instead of the inputs) in the Seymour Duncan's FB page and the CM just told me "Well... if it works for Mark Holcomb, it should work for you too". :rolleyes:

+1

I posted almost the SAME thing (adding that the power switch should be in the front instead of the inputs) in the Seymour Duncan's FB page and the CM just told me "Well... if it works for Mark Holcomb, it should work for you too". :rolleyes:

That's... incredibly lame. And spoken like somebody on the defensive who knows their product isn't all that it could be.

"A dude who happens to be a celebrity puts up with our bad design because there's basically no market competition for exactly what this product is so it's fine."

Last edited:
  1. Split the signal chain before the Cab block.
  2. Put FX Loop in the parallel row, on its own.
  3. Do not connect FX Loop to the output.
  4. Turn up OUT 2 on the top panel.
  5. In the Amp block disable Speaker Drive and Speaker Compression.
New AxeIII owner. I use the matrix GT1000FX as an amp with two 1x12"speaker cabinets. Most of the time I play in small clubs where I use output 2 to the Matrix. In the setup I have the poweramp modeling on and cabinet modeling bypassed and output mode in Speaker drive set to SS Pwr Amp + Cab.
Now when I also want to sent the signal to the FOH (Out 1), how should I set the output mode in the speaker drive: to FRFR (like in the screenshot) or to SS Pwr Amp + Cab setting?
And for recording through USB in my DAW: does this affects the sound?
EditIII.jpg

I heard it can sometimes distort when pushing a 4x12 so to hear the power stage can do that is confusing to a noob like me
I use it into 2 112s - generally at low vol but can't run it too high as it will likely blow the speakers rated lower. Never noted any distortion.

Apologies for hijacking this thread guys. I'm looking to set up my FM9 with PS170 and cab. Totally new to this.
Could any of you kindly advise if the types of cable that I should be using to connect FM9 output 1 to PS170 and from PS170 to the cable?
For FM9 output 1 to PS170, would that be a XLR to TS cable? Like this one https://www.thomann.de/intl/sg/cordial_em_5_fp_elements.htm
For PS170 to cab, I gather that would be a speaker cable.
Many thanks.

Last edited:
Apologies for hijacking this thread guys. I'm looking to set up my FM9 with PS170 and cab. Totally new to this.
Could any of you kindly advise if the types of cable that I should be using to connect FM9 output 1 to PS170 and from PS170 to the cable?
For FM9 output 1 to PS170, would that be a XLR to TS cable? Like this one https://www.thomann.de/intl/sg/cordial_em_10_fp_elements.htm
For PS170 to cab, I gather that would be a speaker cable.
Many thanks.

A TS cable works best from the FM9 to the PS170. I have found that a TRS causes a hum. You have to use a speaker cable from the PS170 to the cab.

Back
Top Bottom