My favourite new power amp! Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170

The Matrix is an excellent device, used by many pros. Used it for years.

I switched to the Powerstage because of its size (wanted a smaller 19" case). And because I like its sound a little better than that of the Matrix. The (mid) lows of the Powerstage just sound better to me.

The Fryette Power Station (PS-1 or PS-2) is a different animal. Frankly, it sounds the best to me of every neutral amp I tried, especially again in the low-mids. Very natural and organic. It's also a great tool to have around for other purposes (as a load, etc.). And it provides my Fryette GP/DI with plenty output power.

But, there's a but. Using the PS-2 requires the Low Frequency and High Frequency parameters in the Amp block to be set at neutral (otherwise the lows and highs get too much emphasis). That's okay when using it for backline purposes, but it creates problems when using a hybrid output design: using a single Amp block for with the PS-2 as well as with FRFR. Those neutral LF/HF settings won't work well with the direct tone going to FOH or to an FRFR monitor.
Well, I think I'm confused... you said you need to set at neutral the Low and High Freq Resonance parameters in the Amp block when you use the Fryette PS, but don't need to do that when using SD PS170, right?
I'm considering to buy a PS170 to use with a 2x12 V30 guitar speaker, and one output to FOH.
Thanks again.

The 170. Because the 700 is a stereo unit which I don't need on stage, and it's a 19" unit which I don't want either. I don't always play with a traditional cab, so I can leave the PS 170 at home when I don't need it. Less is more.
Yek do you think the 170 could work for bass players as well?

Thank you very much for all your contributions to the Fractal Universe!

I am having a Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170 being delivered today. Any setting changes do I need to do besides turning off Cab sims. Using a AXFX 3 and 1 x 12" Celestion G12M Creamback Cab. Thanks for the help.

In the Amp block make sure that Speaker Drive is zero. Set Output Mode to SS PA+Cab, unless you are using another Output for a direct signal or FRFR.

Check the wiki for the procedure to find and set the optimal Low Frequency Resonance setting for your cab.

Ok. Got mine today. Love it! I set up 2 cabs and running in stereo. Sounds glorious especially on the clean presets.

Question for those who use a pwr amp to guitar cab set up: Is the tone usable at lower levels or does it need to be cranked to get the speakers pushing and contributing to the distortion or break up?

Question for those who use a pwr amp to guitar cab set up: Is the tone usable at lower levels or does it need to be cranked to get the speakers pushing and contributing to the distortion or break up?

Sounds fine at low volumes but as with most stuff, it sounds better when you can feel it.

I’m playing modern stuff and my cab has one vintage 30 and one g12k100, so I don’t think they break up much unless they’re really loud.

Maybe someone using more vintage speakers and after a more vintage sound would have a different experience.

Contrary to popular opinion, speaker breakup is an ugly thing. When you hear it, you know right away that something is wrong.

A pushed speaker does contribute some compression, but that can be stimulated in the Axe.

Last edited:
I'd always advise to dial in separate presets for quiet (bedroom) playing and separate presets for loud (stage level) playing. Audition/tweak each at their respective volume levels.

It's no different from the same exercise done with a conventional head/cab or combo set up. If your amp BMTP settings were at their bedroom settings then when you go to play live and loud you usually have to tweak them.

I'd always advise to dial in separate presets for quiet (bedroom) playing and separate presets for loud (stage level) playing. Audition/tweak each at their respective volume levels.

It's no different from the same exercise done with a conventional head/cab or combo set up. If your amp BMTP settings were at their bedroom settings then when you go to play live and loud you usually have to tweak them.

So true. Even with a FRFR monitor, I've got LOUD presets and 'normal'. Obviously, my gigging days a far and few between and maybe long gone. The price point on the SD 170 is low enough that I'd like to scratch that itch and see how it sounds thru my 4x12 cab.

For a couple of years I have been powering a live cab using the EHX 44 magnum power amp whilst going direct with the stock IRs to FOH. After getting fed up with the lack of head room for my cab feed I finally bought the new Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170 power amp.

HOLY FU CK this thing sounds amazing!! So much better it's hard to describe. So much more power than before (duh, it's 170W) and the clean headroom is to die for. No trouble competing with the other guitarist and his Mesa for a change. Yay!

I definitely recommend you try it out if you are looking for an external poweramp. I have avoided the Matrix rack mounted style because I wanted to keep my rack 2U (rack bag). This thing kicks absolute arse! I'm so glad I got it and it still fits in my guitar case. Winning!

How many ohms is your cab? I have a 16ohm and wondering if it will power it with enough volume? - Axe Fx II XL+

How many ohms is your cab? I have a 16ohm and wondering if it will power it with enough volume? - Axe Fx II XL+
I recently bought the 170 and plugged it into a 16 ohm Egnater Tweeker 112x 30 watt cab. Did an outdoor gig with a 4 piece blues band and had plenty of room on the volume dial to spare with the bmt dials at noon. I was using an AX8.

Back
Top Bottom