My favourite new power amp! Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170

Hi everyone, I have the AxeFx III and have a Powerstage 170 on the way. Do you use Output 1 set to -10 dBV or +4 dBu when connecting to this poweramp?

I'm also thinking of using Output 2 to send to the Powerstage and keep Output 1 with cab sims to FOH/headphones/studio monitors, etc. To do this should I get an XLR to TS or XLR to TRS cable for the Powerstage 170?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I have the AxeFx III and have a Powerstage 170 on the way. Do you use Output 1 set to -10 dBV or +4 dBu when connecting to this poweramp?
I don't have the Powerstage so take it with a grain of salt, but since it's made to work with pedals your output probably should be set to -10 dBV.
I'm also thinking of using Output 2 to send to the Powerstage and keep Output 1 with cab sims to FOH/headphones/studio monitors, etc. To do this should I get an XLR to TS or XLR to TRS cable for the Powerstage 170?
Either should probably work. But to be safe, go with XLR to TS.

EV-12L and Austin Speaker Works KTS-70.

Noob Axe3 owner here... thinking about potential live setup. Liking the PS170.

Looking for a good PS170 combo with a passive cab for live application. Music style varies: from old school rock to U2 to da funky stuff... no metal. Mostly playing with PA (like you, I would like one preset setting for both PS and FOH)- so main use is for monitoring, with an ‘amp feel’ ;-), so probably 12 inch, FRFR or close to it...

Redsound cabs look interesting, QsC? If I look for EVL12 at Bax shop I just see the original speaker, no cab? did I miss something?

So I picked one of these up recently and I must say I'm pretty surprised by this little thing.
first off , it's freaking loud. I'm running it into a very early JCM 800 2X12 and the Jcm800 and BritPre
amp models sound killer through this setup. I'm playing in a cover band right now that is playing bands that are /were
predominantly Marshall based and so far I think this thing just may work. I have rehearsal next Monday.so I get to try it out
with the full band then, so.....fingers crossed.
I am sick of lugging my Marshall JVM210H head around, it's pretty modded and sounds killer but
I like having all of my effects and multiple amps to choose from. Plus it's heavy as hell and I still lug my AxeFx
with me for the effects.

2 rehearsals later and this thing has been performing above expectations.
I have my low res set to my cabs and I've got to say, I was going to try to find a fryette Powerstation
but this thing may just be enough.

I have both the PowerStation (v1) and the SD Powerstage 170 as well. I am loving the 170 - for how it feels, and the BMT knobs are a huge bonus. I find I can build my patches on CLR's , send that to FOH, and then send a pre-cab out to the PS170 to a variety of real cabs with the ability to tweak the Powerstage BMT controls and get the stage cab matching my FOH, or adjust for the room. It just sounds killer on stage and FOH. Currently I am using a DV Mark Neoclassic 2x12 for a real cab and love it this way, not to mention it weights like 20lbs total, but sounds big. Sometimes the 170 feeds 1x12 mini rectos as well. Either way the 170 kills and feels great IMO. I barely touch the powerstation anymore -in fact I need to sell it. Thanks YEK for a heads up on the 170.

I have both the PowerStation (v1) and the SD Powerstage 170 as well. I am loving the 170 - for how it feels, and the BMT knobs are a huge bonus. I find I can build my patches on CLR's , send that to FOH, and then send a pre-cab out to the PS170 to a variety of real cabs with the ability to tweak the Powerstage BMT controls and get the stage cab matching my FOH, or adjust for the room. It just sounds killer on stage and FOH. Currently I am using a DV Mark Neoclassic 2x12 for a real cab and love it this way, not to mention it weights like 20lbs total, but sounds big. Sometimes the 170 feeds 1x12 mini rectos as well. Either way the 170 kills and feels great IMO. I barely touch the powerstation anymore -in fact I need to sell it. Thanks YEK for a heads up on the 170.
HI, not sure of you have ever tried the Matrix GT1000FX, but just wondering how it might compare to the Matrix? I too have a Fryette power station 2 which I really like but am very interested in the Powerstage 170.

Thanks,
D

The Matrix is an excellent device, used by many pros. Used it for years.

I switched to the Powerstage because of its size (wanted a smaller 19" case). And because I like its sound a little better than that of the Matrix. The (mid) lows of the Powerstage just sound better to me.

The Fryette Power Station (PS-1 or PS-2) is a different animal. Frankly, it sounds the best to me of every neutral amp I tried, especially again in the low-mids. Very natural and organic. It's also a great tool to have around for other purposes (as a load, etc.). And it provides my Fryette GP/DI with plenty output power.

But, there's a but. Using the PS-2 requires the Low Frequency and High Frequency parameters in the Amp block to be set at neutral (otherwise the lows and highs get too much emphasis). That's okay when using it for backline purposes, but it creates problems when using a hybrid output design: using a single Amp block for with the PS-2 as well as with FRFR. Those neutral LF/HF settings won't work well with the direct tone going to FOH or to an FRFR monitor.

The Matrix is an excellent device, used by many pros. Used it for years.

I switched to the Powerstage because of its size (wanted a smaller 19" case). And because I like its sound a little better than that of the Matrix. The (mid) lows sound better to me on the Powerstage.

The Fryette Power Station (PS-1 or PS-2) is a different animal. Frankly, it sounds the best to me of every neutral amp I tried, especially again in the low-mids. Very natural and organic. It's also a great tool to have around for other purposes (as a load, etc.).

But, there's a but. For best results, the Low Frequency and High Frequency parameters in the Amp block have to be set at neutral, when using the PS-2. That's okay when using the PS-2 and Axe-Fx for backline purposes, but it creates problems when using a hybrid output design combining the PS-2 and FRFR. Because those neutral LF/HF settings won't work well with the direct tone.
That's excellent information...thanks SO much Yek! :)

Also, are you using the PS 170 or the power station 700? Thx

The 170. Because the 700 is a stereo unit which I don't need on stage, and it's a 19" unit which I don't want either. I don't always play with a traditional cab, so I can leave the PS 170 at home when I don't need it. Less is more.

The 170. Because the 700 is a stereo unit which I don't need on stage, and it's a 19" unit which I don't want either. I don't always play with a traditional cab, so I can leave the PS 170 at home when I don't need it. Less is more.
Perfect, thanks!

HI, not sure of you have ever tried the Matrix GT1000FX, but just wondering how it might compare to the Matrix? I too have a Fryette power station 2 which I really like but am very interested in the Powerstage 170.

Thanks,
D

Sorry, can’t comment on the Matrix. I haven’t had the opportunity to try one out yet. Also, I was looking for a rack free version, as I have a AX8, II, and III and the PS is a nice light small component to use with either along with my ultra lite open back cab I mentioned. In fact I may velcro the PS170 inside the cab.

Do you guys think this will pair well with a Matrix FR212 cab? The reason I ask is I've really only heard from people using it with traditional guitar cabs and not so much with FRFR type cabs. I'm looking for a small flat power amp that I can throw on a board. I liked the ISP stealth but since the cab is 4 ohms I can only use one side of the stereo outputs at half the wattage, which is not enough for live use.

PS 170 on order so hopefully I'll be able to give some insight as to how it sounds with a passive FRFR cab.

I'm very curious to see how that works out for you! I run a 170 into a 2x12 Laney with V30s and like it, but I want a FRFR cab as well so I can play with the speaker models. Would also be nice to not have to worry about lf resonance etc

That's one of the reasons I decided to try this instead of getting another power station. To get it to sound right with the PS, I had to take the speaker resonances to 0 in the amp block; I wanted to preserve the amp/cab interaction in the preset in hopes of keeping authentic tone. To ME, the FR212 is kinda like the best of both worlds when it comes to faithfully recreating the sound while still sounding more like a cab and not a monitor.

Back
Top Bottom