My favourite new power amp! Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170

Matrix was working on this:
amplipod-ax8-jpg.38073

It's been about a year since there has been any more details regarding the unit. Class A/B, 140 watts @ 8 ohms, 60-70 watts @ 16 ohms and they were going back and forth on whether is should have flat response or more of a "tube like" feel.

My understanding is that the GM50 is not discontinued, they just have not put in an order and built some stock in a while. That conversation was last year so things may have and probably did change.
That's the one i'm waiting for! I think FAS should release their own power amp line!

And how'd it go?
Did you happen to check to see if it got hot?

Performed fine. Didn’t check the temperature but there’s a warning on the device, so it does get hot.

Just ordered the 170!

Hopefully this will make my onstage experience feel more normal. Now the search begins for a great sounding lightweight 212!!!

Thanks for the great info!

With the PS (tube-based) it's best to neutralize them.
With solid-state amps (Matrix etc.) it's the other way around: non-neutral Low and High Resonance settings are required for best results.
Yek, do you still feel that the Fryette Power Station with neutralised resonance settings outperforms the solid state amps with resonance settings engaged? I have a PS, used to have a Matrix and am tempted by the convenience of the SD PS 170, but not if the Power Station blows it out of the water.

Yes, I do. It’s why I bring the Power Station when I play a place without a PA. For other occasions the SD is a fine alternative and easier too.
But it is personal preference.

HI Yek, I also have an SD Powerstage 170, which parameters do you recommend me to change in the AX8 if a play with the PS 170 and a traditional guitar cab with a FX block thru the output 2 and also sending the main output to the PA.?

HI Yek, I also have an SD Powerstage 170, which parameters do you recommend me to change in the AX8 if a play with the PS 170 and a traditional guitar cab with a FX block thru the output 2 and also sending the main output to the PA.?
  1. Split the signal chain before the Cab block.
  2. Put FX Loop in the parallel row, on its own.
  3. Do not connect FX Loop to the output.
  4. Turn up OUT 2 on the top panel.
  5. In the Amp block disable Speaker Drive and Speaker Compression.

Or If you don't want to sacrifice your Fx loop and are happy playing mono you can split the signal before the Cab Block, (Cab block must be last in chain for this). In the parallel branch put a volume block. Set the Pan on the Cab block to L and the Pan on the Volume block to R. Send the Cab sim out to the PA via the Left XLR output 1 and send the "no cab sim" signal from the R unbalanced output 1 to the SD powerstage 170. Works a treat and you get to keep your FX loop.

Thanks for your recommendations Yek and Ant Music. I have another question which may not be the subject in this thread but which solution do you think is the best for monitoring in a live/gig setup with the AX8, an FRFR like the Friedman ASM12 or an SD PS 170 with a Cab? Do you think is better to get a "feel" of what you are playing with the power amp and cab or to get a "true" representation of the sound you are modeling with the FRFR?

Thanks for your recommendations Yek and Ant Music. I have another question which may not be the subject in this thread but which solution do you think is the best for monitoring in a live/gig setup with the AX8, an FRFR like the Friedman ASM12 or an SD PS 170 with a Cab? Do you think is better to get a "feel" of what you are playing with the power amp and cab or to get a "true" representation of the sound you are modeling with the FRFR?

Well you can have your cab sims come through your Foldback wedges if you want and that way you can hear what is coming out of your FRFR set up whilst playing live with a real cab. I'm not sure what is best for you but experimentation will help you to see what works for you. I think it's one of those things where there are no right or wrong answers. It depends on what you like.

I often don't bother to mic up the cab even if I'm using one. I only use it for stage ooomph really. But sometimes the engineer has mic'd up the cab abd blended the Real cab with the FRFR cab sim through the FOH. Too many vairables to make hard and fast rules about but if you have time before a show I advise you to encourage the engineer to try a few things out and see what sounds best out the front.

Matrix was working on this:
amplipod-ax8-jpg.38073

It's been about a year since there has been any more details regarding the unit. Class A/B, 140 watts @ 8 ohms, 60-70 watts @ 16 ohms and they were going back and forth on whether is should have flat response or more of a "tube like" feel.

My understanding is that the GM50 is not discontinued, they just have not put in an order and built some stock in a while. That conversation was last year so things may have and probably did change.
Any news from Matrix? I wish to know more about this befora getting something else... maybe de Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170?

Well, i thought i would wait for that Matrix pedalboard amp solution, in the meantime, use my EHX Magnum 44.

The Magnum 44 lasted a year and ten months! It didn't die in the middle of a gig at least! I don't blame the gear, i might have done something stupid but i fried it! LOL it smelled bad! It served me well for a gig or two monthly during that period.

Today i received my new SD Powerstage 170. It's an upgrade!! I feel like when i lost a car in a crash (i wasn't hurt!) and then bought a better more expensive one, but still thought i would be driving my old car if i still had it!

I'm in the market for a power amp to run my Axe II XL+ into a 2x12 / 4x12 cab.
If I understand the overall impressions:

Fryette Power Station: Best sounding but editing the amp block's to neutralize Low and High Resonance setting compromises FOH tone. Q: How do you "neutralize" this in the Speaker page of Amp block? Does it depend on the real cab being used? Also, how usable would it be if I did not neutralize the resonance?
SD Powerstage 170: Slightly better sounding than the Matrix.
Matrix GT1000FX: Popular choice.

Any more feedback on the three would be appreciated, thanks!

Edit: I watched a few more reviews on youtube. The smaller footprint, weight, pricetag, quieter fan, and apparent transparency of the Power Stage sealed the deal. Ordered.

Last edited:
Edit: I watched a few more reviews on youtube. The smaller footprint, weight, pricetag, quieter fan, and apparent transparency of the Power Stage sealed the deal. Ordered.
I'm quite certain you'll be happy with your choice, it's a great little amp.

Yeha it looks to be the best choice now... I'm waiting to see when Matrix unveals their similar model that they have been working on for quite some time now.

I actually had second thoughts and pony'd up to the PowerStage 700. Since I have several cabs, I figure I could run a stereo rig and sacrifice the small footprint. Stoked.

Has anyone tried the Mooer Tube Engine ?
It looks like a mix between the Fryette Power Station and the SD Powerstage 170.
Sound? I suppose good.

Back
Top Bottom