My Favorite Marshall (as of FW 4) What's yours?

I understand ultimately it’s subjective. But I’m just trying to get a better understanding. How about Slash, does he have a bright or dark tone?
To me, bright. And particularly if you compare his sound to say, Friedman guys like Jerry Cantrell or Steve Stevens. If, for example you compare the FAS model of the AFD mod to the Friedman BE, I think its bright.

Taks any pres
I’m just curiou

I’m just curious but when it comes to tone talk what exactly is bright and dark? I’ve been playing a pretty long time and I think I understand what they’re supposed to mean but when I really try to think about it, I lose my thought. Which famous players have bright tone? Which have dark?
Take any preset and run it into a cabinet that has "57" as part of the title. Then try it through the same cabinet with "121". An SM57 is a high-mid-focus dynamic mic, where a R121 is a much more low-focused ribbon mic. You can mess with EQ all day, but certain microphones will keep the tone bright or dark. Same with certain amplifiers.

I have always used the Brit Silver (SIlver Jubilee) on the FM3 and now FM9 but after a year of avoiding the jcm 800 and trying all of the other ones for my "middle gain" somehow I've finally figured out the JCM 800. I did this video a couple of weeks ago and have refined it a bit more since then so I'll probably update the version I have in the AceChange.

Here are the links to the two presets and for my favorite Leon Todd IR that makes it all possible:

Not RAWK preset download: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=10043
Rawk Preset Download: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=10042
Leon Todd LT TV Mix 7 cab IR: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?cab=687

I have always used the Brit Silver (SIlver Jubilee) on the FM3 and now FM9 but after a year of avoiding the jcm 800 and trying all of the other ones for my "middle gain" somehow I've finally figured out the JCM 800. I did this video a couple of weeks ago and have refined it a bit more since then so I'll probably update the version I have in the AceChange.

Here are the links to the two presets and for my favorite Leon Todd IR that makes it all possible:

Not RAWK preset download: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=10043
Rawk Preset Download: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=10042
Leon Todd LT TV Mix 7 cab IR: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?cab=687

Wow, these sound great! Thanks for sharing. I know how to import presets, but how do you import IRs like the Leon Todd one you shared?

Here’s one for ya guys; I’ve got an Edwards LPC I put the Zakk Wylde EMG’s into over the weekend and of course the first thing I wanted to do was go play “No More Tears”. Instead of just using my normal tones, I figured I‘d make a No More Tears-era Zakk preset like I did the EVH Balance and Vai presets that I was pretty stoked with the results of. I can get about 80% of the No More Tears tone, there’s so much fucking hair on this tone it’s the last 80% I’m unable to achieve.

The tone sounds so different isolated than I ever would have expected, far less distortion and sustain, but daaaamn listen to that hair sitting on top of the tone. I’ve been switching between the 800, 800 Mod and #34 but can still really only get the base tone down, that hair has been impossible and I’m assuming I’m going to have to find it in the IR as no amount of tweaking the highs was doing it for me. (And yes, I’m boosting with a Super Overdrive or whatever it’s called in Fractal land)

Here’s one for ya guys; I’ve got an Edwards LPC I put the Zakk Wylde EMG’s into over the weekend and of course the first thing I wanted to do was go play “No More Tears”. Instead of just using my normal tones, I figured I‘d make a No More Tears-era Zakk preset like I did the EVH Balance and Vai presets that I was pretty stoked with the results of. I can get about 80% of the No More Tears tone, there’s so much fucking hair on this tone it’s the last 80% I’m unable to achieve.

The tone sounds so different isolated than I ever would have expected, far less distortion and sustain, but daaaamn listen to that hair sitting on top of the tone. I’ve been switching between the 800, 800 Mod and #34 but can still really only get the base tone down, that hair has been impossible and I’m assuming I’m going to have to find it in the IR as no amount of tweaking the highs was doing it for me. (And yes, I’m boosting with a Super Overdrive or whatever it’s called in Fractal land)

Few thing he is using EVM speakers in his cab try Leon EVM mix or stock rumble cab
His 800 is loaded w 6550s so change that
He has a Boss chorus pedal on that likely
See if adding those elements helps

Ozzy always complained about how loud Zakk ran his amps, so crank up the master vol. For hair, I like the Shimmer Drive.

Good stuff guys, thanks for sharing the pre sets! I'll check them out this week. I have never heard the JCM 800 in FAS land sound like a real one. Stoked to try these! :cool:

I just took a quick stab at at and had a lot more luck with Atomica High than with an 800. Rumble 57A cab and Shimmer Drive. I suspect he was mic'd with a 57 only.

I just took a quick stab at at and had a lot more luck with Atomica High than with an 800. Rumble 57A cab and Shimmer Drive. I suspect he was mic'd with a 57 only.
Try the Aerosmith amp tweaks so you have it biased hot , change to 6550 tubes they should not break up
And Try the VAI light chorus which is the boss ce1
Leon also has a block in his library with the Yamaha SPX90 effects he used that rack
Good luck

Since it ended up helping mine get better last time, I'll post again...this is where I am going into a rehearsal tomorrow. The SLP is @elvis amp/cab in my preset. The SV20 is the same as "Plexi" I had before but with changes after our exchange. I also have a JTM45 and JCM800 that are in the works.

Attachments

• SLP-011123.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 10
  • JCM800-01123.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 11
  • SV20-011123.syx
  • JTM45-011123.syx
Try the Aerosmith amp tweaks so you have it biased hot , change to 6550 tubes they should not break up
And Try the VAI light chorus which is the boss ce1
Leon also has a block in his library with the Yamaha SPX90 effects he used that rack
Good luck
This is one of the things I have experimented with a little but need to get back to.

Wow, these sound great! Thanks for sharing. I know how to import presets, but how do you import IRs like the Leon Todd one you shared?

You can drag and drop IRs in the cab block, or use the Cab Manager tool.

Thank you! - After a couple of high volume gigs I've actually changed them quite a bit. I'll try and get new versions uploaded but I have to do them without some of the paid IR's that I've just gotten. I usually use the Cab Manager tool, but as Elvis mentioned I guess you can also drag and drop. I'm going to try that now...

Back
Top Bottom