My Favorite Marshall (as of FW 4) What's yours?

macfly

Inspired
Older folks may get the title--if not no big deal.

I've been a JCM800 player since I got my first one in 1980. In the analog world, I used to clip the bright cap, and later tried some mods (increasing gain, switching to 6550s, etc.). At the end of the day, the stock, original circuit still blows my skirt up. I used it almost exclusively in my AX8, but had never bonded with it until Cygnus 2. With very minimal tweaking, it sounds like my first JCM800...my favorite Marshall. My second favorite was a 1970 metalface 50 watt. That amp had gone through hell and the previous owner had lost the impedance selector, so it had a hair pin stuck in it to select 16 ohms...but it was a killer amp...really sorry I sold that and the 810 cab it sat on.

I upgraded to FW4b1 on saturday and immediately spent hours in the 50 watt 6CA7. For some reason, I avoided the the Brit 800 (I think I was afraid to be disappointed) and for some reason, the Studio 20, and instead dialed in the 6CA7 to match my other presets...mainly a BE100 and relatively new Orange RV50. Over the last few days, I've gotten into the 800 and Studio 20....and holy shit...I am loving them.

I have seen quite a few people report getting lost in Marshalls since this update in the Axe3 and FM9 (and I'd assume it's also in the FM3), so the point of this is to collect folks "new" favorite Marshalls...and favorite IRs with these Marshalls...

I've just dialed in the Brit 800 and Brit Studio 20 with legacy cab 148 (4x12 MAR PR-M20B). So good.

Last edited:
@macfly I’ve been trying to get my 800 preset to sound useable live for a while now. Could be the IR I’m using (OH GNR RAW). Any chance you can share the preset please?

The 1987X Jumped. It's like an 800, but with more control over the high end with the treble volume. Turn down the input trim to about half and you get those sweet 2204 low input clean tones, too.
Cool…I’ll check it out!

I know, I know I keep posting this everywhere but I’m excited to try to be able to do something like this with the SV20 model. Maybe an expression pedal to control something to get the wide array of tones he does in this video? I’m going to wait for the firmware but if anyone wants to give this a try it’d be cool to see how you do!

I've been digging on the SV20 lately and am now really considering buying the actual head. I'm mostly using my FM9 with my Strats, so I've been focused more on classic Strat tones than anything else with that rig and often using pedals along with it. The JTM45 gets a lot of use as well, I'm usually hanging around those kinds of tones. Now that I think about it, the JCM800 is the most modern Marshall model I've actually tried, should probably dig into those a bit more.

I've been digging on the SV20 lately and am now really considering buying the actual head.

Something to consider with the actual head is that, unlike the AxeFx, there's no master volume. It will need to get quite loud for higher gain sounds, so you might want to also purchase an attenuater.

@etwinn try this 800 patch. Scenes 2,3,4 are the 800 (1 and 5 are JTM45). I think I'm really getting there now. This sound really good in my IEM...can't wait to try it in speakers, and figure it will need some refinement. Can't do that until the wife goes to work tomorrow night.

Attachments

• FM9-JCM800 JTM45(2).syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Something to consider with the actual head is that, unlike the AxeFx, there's no master volume. It will need to get quite loud for higher gain sounds, so you might want to also purchase an attenuater.

Part of the plan! I'm in an apartment! Thanks, sir!

Back
Top Bottom