My favorite AX8 amps & cabs

wh10

Here are my favorite amps for low- and mid-gain playing with single-coil pickups:

1. CA Tucana Lead with F184: 4x12 Greenback Mix
This boutique amp delivers amazing Marshall rock tones except the controls are responsive and produce usable tones at any setting - usally a weakness of real Marshall amps. For Plexi tones that cover Jimi Hendrix through AC/DC I like to dial the Input Drive to 9 while keeping Overdrive at 2. More modern Marshall tones can be achieved by setting Overdrive higher while keeping Input Drive around 5.

Add Delay and Wah pedals for solos. Phaser, Chorus, or Rotary will color your tone nicely.

2. Double Verb Vib with F123: 2x12 Double Verb Mix
This Fender amp with "Magic Six" settings covers a huge range of tones from vintage clean & surf, through blues & classic rock, 80s chorus clean, and punchy harmonic John Mayer tone. Use the guitar volume and tone knobs to adjust the feel without changing settings on the amp!

The Zen Master drive pedal with a low Drive setting adds enough focus for soloing without too much dirt. Use the classic T808 OD drive pedal for that recognizable driven blues and rock sound. The amp itself has enough dirt when played at the "Magic Six" settings - so the drive pedals are just there to change the flavor.

You have to add Tremolo, Chorus, and Spring Reverb to this rig!

3. 5F1 Tweed EC with F133: 1x8 EC Champlifier I5
Beautiful cleans for Mark Knopfler style playing. A great amp to play expressive solos with fingers instead of a pick. Its drive sound is that of a little amp being pushed rather than a huge 100W beast - a nice variation to have in your arsenal. I keep this amp/cab in Scene 2 as an alternative to the Double Verb Vib so it's easy to change things up whenever I feel like it.

4. Deluxe Tweed with F081: 1x12 Deluxe Tweed Mix
The 5E3 is so simple with just a Volume and Tone control but it's very versatile. Great edge-of-breakup and slightly driven tones. The main adjective that comes to mind is a "sweet" sound. Nice for vintage tones across soul, rock, blues, and more. There's something pure about this amp - I can't bring myself to add any effects besides reverb - it sounds so good just by itself.

5. AC-20 12AX7 T with F119: 1x12 AC-20 Dlx Mix
My favorite Class A Vox-style amp is the AC-20. It's very easy to dial in - almost like the 5E3 equivalent for Vox amps because it only has a Cut tone control instead of Bass/Mid/Treble. I like this amp clean for chimey and crisp tones. Great for playing funk with a Compressor pedal but it can do a lot more!

Try the Full OD or T808 OD drive pedals for lead playing.

That's it! These are the amp models I currently use after lots of experimentation. I could live with just the CA Tucana Lead and Double Verb Vib, but the fun of the AX8 is having 200+ amp models to choose from :).

What are your top amps and cabs?

Dirty Shirley w/F105

I'll try this one again soon, thanks.

Originally I wanted to use the Friedman HBE as the main Marshall-style amp. It has impressive clarity and string separation but the voicing isn't for me (too modern?). Maybe the Dirty Shirley is closer to what I like - at the moment the Tucana is great fun.

I'm currently digging the Supertweed with the F081 1x12 Deluxe tweed cab.

Nice choice. Can't go wrong with a tweed! I think the Deluxe Tweed is pretty close to perfect but Cliff's take on tones is inspiring too. Will play with the Supertweed more.

Great thread...I'm currently using:

Clean: Double Verb Vibe
Bluesy/Mid Gain: Band Commander with the Input Drive on "10" and the "Input Trim" goosed a bit.
Rock Crunch: JCM 800 Mod in "X" (80's tone), "Captain Hook 2A" on "Y" (awesome 70's Marshally tone); great 70's/80's Marshall/classic rock type tones. I use the guitar volume control a lot to tune the distortion required.
High Gain: I'm using the DIZZY V4 BLUE 3 in "X' and am experimenting with the DIZZY V4 SLVR 3 in "Y"
Single Coil Crunch: JCM 800 Mod
Lead: FAS Lead 1 in "X", CA Tucana Lead in "Y"

For clean/mid-gain tones I'm now using a custom mix of the Dumble EV12S M160 and Dumble EV12L M160 IR's from the FAS cab packs.

You can use the factory #106 Rumble 4x12 EV12S M160 cab; it sounds and feels similar.

For crunch/hi-gain/lead tones I'm using a custom mix of IR's from Cab Pack 14 in Cab Lab 3:

4x12 TV 160 B 0dB
4x12 TV 4047A -8.53dB

Am finding the M160 mic blends really well with the 4047; I get a full, balanced IR that has a pretty sweet top end that works well with most amps for rock/gainy tones.

I've made custom IR mixes for each cabinet (and mix variations for a few 4x12 cabs) from the various newer FAS cab packs and have them loaded in the first 20+ slots; they cover pretty much every style and amp I need.

I've also worked this preset into my main bank:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...eel-string-singer-preset.129803/#post-1539451

That preset/post inspired me to revist my Dumble IR mix and experiment with it more....when dialed in that IR/cab is awesome.

If you don't like the voicing, change the Tone Stack. ;)

Void my Friedman warranty and get electrocuted?! No thanks! :p

Seriously...deep tweaks are interesting! We need another thread for people to show off Frankenstein amps they have created. How to turn the Princeton into FAS Brootalz :).

My favourite amp right now is the FAS Hot Rod, along with some stock Bogner IRs in stereo. It just responds really well to my guitar, great Marshall-y tone.

Others I use are the Shiver for cleans, the 5153 50w blue, and the HBE.

The Captain Hook 34 channels 2b and 3b (into factory greenback cabs) are now "in a long-term monogamous relationship with my '61 RI SG (Les Paul)."... whenever I play that preset, I can't put my guitar down. Just killer.

Between the Friedmans and Plexis, I rarely get around to trying anything else...:-(

I always come back to my beloved 5150 blue 50 watt. Now paired with cab 189.
The euro blue is also a great amp for mid gain sounds and pairs well with the great shimmer drive

Others I use are the Shiver for cleans, the 5153 50w blue, and the HBE.
I always come back to my beloved 5150 blue 50 watt. Now paired with cab 189.

I've been flipping between the DIZZY V4 BLUE/SLVR 3 and the 5150 Blue 50W for my high gain preset since I got the AX8 a couple of months ago...the 5150 Blue 50W was my main stay high gain amp for years on the AFX II. Great amp...love it.

The Captain Hook 34 channels 2b and 3b (into factory greenback cabs) are now "in a long-term monogamous relationship with my '61 RI SG (Les Paul)."... whenever I play that preset, I can't put my guitar down. Just killer

My absolute favorite amp/channels for Marshally/70's crunch/rock tones; I've been using the 2B in my main preset bank since it was available...I get certain tones I hear in my head almost instantly with this amp. Very easy and quick to dial in...love this amp/channels big time.

Back
Top Bottom