My expressions acts nonlinear on the AX8

Roadrunner

Power User
Hi.

I recently got a new AX8 and copied my XL presets into it.
New setup is same layout as with the XL, includes 2 EP-1 Mission Engineering expression pedals in input #1 and #4, one dedicated to Wah and the other mostly for volume control and some gain control.
No matter what I tried, both act the same, giving over 70% of the Wah / volume etc. FX in the first 25% pedal travel. It's like they both become nonlinear pot or something.
I tried to calibrate them through the AX8 menu, also tried some compensation through the Slope but it still sounds bad, very bad, no control over the Wah or the volume / gain etc.
Does anyone had the same problem?

Thanks.

TRS cables correct? Going to assume yes. Also, when calibrating I recall that you have to press Enter at the end of the procedure. Just making sure you did that last part.

The pedals + wiring is not new, it was used on my XL setup and worked perfect.
Calibrating was done corectly, I did click Enter at the end.

I've never had a volume pedal, either using a 'normal' volume pedal or using an expression pedal to control volume, behave in a nice linear manner. I just assumed it was the way of things, like how buttered toast always lands butter side down when dropped. Maybe one day, when free energy is available, and the meaning of life is understood, someone will reach for the Gods and come up with a decent, linear, volume pedal.

I set up and calibrated 2 EV-1's for my AX8 yesterday using TRS cables.
The calibrations both went perfect.
I find I have very linear response with both EV-1's.

Not really a value-add post because you said the same setup works fine with your XL, but I have the same issue with a Zoom expression pedal I have. While the Zoom could very well be non-linear, I've worked around it somewhat by playing with the slope and start/end values. I'm just planning to replace it with a new FAS mini when avail....

RR

You've probably done this already, but I'd create a new block on a fresh preset. Then assign a modifier to some parameter and see if the sweep is linear for each pedal. I would also try this without AX8-Edit.

Also, are these pedals w/10K pots? If things still look messed up I'd start testing things with an OHM meter just to validate.

You've probably done this already, but I'd create a new block on a fresh preset.
Yap...
I actualy started a fresh block but than it sounded bad so i tried to copy my XL settings which didnt help either.

I got this problem with my 2 pedals, exactly the same on both and the pedals were on my XL setup up to now, worked 100%.

Both the Wah and Volume blocks have a Taper parameter. How do you have them set?

That's an unusual problem. Forgive me, but I gotta ask:

Have you verified that you're plugged into the correct jacks on the pedals...and that they're plugged in all the way?

I just got on my AX8 and went to the calibration screen and moved the pedal through the full range of motion. With the EV-1's it's a very smooth and linear movement. Do you see a nice linear movement throughout the whole range or does it also have the problem of going to 100% at when you move the pedal just a short range? It doesn't need to hit 100% on the meters (it will in a block after calibration), however, I would expect a nice linear movement on the calibration screen.

Back
Top Bottom