My Experience

Ask the sound guy to stop cutting the lows and see if that helps. I've had the same problem with direct. The sound guy uses a high pass at 300 Hz and then complains that my guitar is too bright.
That's not my issue. 90% of the engineers I work with are great and no their job and I could care less what the tone is after they are done messing with it for the room. I was listening pre-eq.

You mention using the Mesa Style GEQ but don't mention the amp type. For an EQ control that is less "strident", try placing the amp block's GEQ "PRE POWER AMP". This should be a very natural way to create the beefier tone you are after.

You mention using the Mesa Style GEQ but don't mention the amp type. For an EQ control that is less "strident", try placing the amp block's GEQ "PRE POWER AMP". This should be a very natural way to create the beefier tone you are after.
I am going off memory here but in the EQ section of the amp block there is an option for a Mark style or something to that effect. That is the one I was using.

This is the only clip I have. Its from the floor and its behind the speakers so hard to tell much of anything but its all I got for now.

Pete Thorn posted a cab IR of his Divided/13 1x12 that used a lot with my AXE2. It's very versatile and ended up being a good go-to cab for me.

Cut your cab lows at 100hz, hi cut at 6-8k (sweep through for taste).

As for "fatness". Use the GEQ in the amp
Block 8 band and just sweep up and down each band until you find the "fat" frequency you're looking for and boost that.

I've had a ton of clients say "I want beefier mids" and I sweep through a PEQ and their idea of 'mids' covers anything from 500hz to 3k. Everyone's idea will be different.

Cut your cab lows at 100hz, hi cut at 6-8k (sweep through for taste).

As for "fatness". Use the GEQ in the amp
Block 8 band and just sweep up and down each band until you find the "fat" frequency you're looking for and boost that.

I've had a ton of clients say "I want beefier mids" and I sweep through a PEQ and their idea of 'mids' covers anything from 500hz to 3k. Everyone's idea will be different.
Thanks Rosh. I appreciate that. I will try that. You are right though, it is so hard to define what everyone thinks they are hearing and putting it to words.

locking at the In Ear controller on your pics i suspect that you are using a Behringer desk. we have the same for rehearsal and i have the same problems make my AXE FX II sound fat. The channel-preamps of this desk are more on the HI-FI - treble site with lack of warmth.
my same presets sounds in ear on a HI-End desk, as example an Avid Venue that we use for live gigs, phenomenal, (also with a low-cut)

hope this helps

locking at the In Ear controller on your pics i suspect that you are using a Behringer desk. we have the same for rehearsal and i have the same problems make my AXE FX II sound fat. The channel-preamps of this desk are more on the HI-FI - treble site with lack of warmth.
my same presets sounds in ear on a HI-End desk, as example an Avid Venue that we use for live gigs, phenomenal, (also with a low-cut)

hope this helps
Yea, they are very bright compared to the FOH but I wasn't judging by those, I use the eq on the Behringer to work with that. Using the Mid and the q filter is very helpful with warming those up. I am judging by front of house pre-eq in any case.

Just an update after three more gigs using this thing. I now have it sounding fantastic. Sound guy was blown away last night so much so that he didn't feel the need to do much to the tone in terms of eq and loved the way everything sat in the mix. I many of the suggestions given in this thread and now have a tone that is fat without being muddy at all. So thank you all again for our help. This forum is a great resource for new guys like myself!

I'm glad to hear you're liking your AX8 again. While reading the good advice from everyone , I was thinking , you should go thru the presets of different amps again , and audition some more.
What has surprised me most with this unit is , there are SO many amps that sound good (in the mix) , that didn't strike me as being my favorite , while auditioning them without accompaniment. I'm talking about stock presets with cabs that were chosen already , as a great starting point.

Among the Dirty Shirley , BE , Plexi Treble - type amp sounds , that most of my music is centered around , my current favorites that are kicking ASS (IN THE MIX) are , Triptik Classic ( with the Bender Fuzz - Drive ) , Brownface (with a Ratt Drive) , and the 65 Bassguy (with the T808 OD).

I've never in my life , had so many favorite sounds in a pedal. Each amp's 8 band EQ is something that everyone should consider , as it's an important option for tone shaping.

AND , great advice from M@ above. Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom