My Experience

Sruli

Inspired
I am still on the fence with regard to whether or not I am going to keep the Ax8. I did my second gig with it last night and it sounded pretty good. As I used to do with my old pedalboard, I ran it straight to the board and used in ears for monitoring. I think the key for me at this point is to find an IR that works for me. The one I am using now (055 — 4x12 PRE-ROLA 75 M160) sounded great at home but at the gigs I am looking for something with a less pronounced high end and for the over all tone to be fatter. If anyone has any recommendations for a similar sounding factory loaded cab that has more fatness to it that would be greatly appreciated.
12512627_10156355666050577_816499734225130863_n.jpg
12439525_10156355666085577_6948413122069220607_n.jpg
12647467_10156355666045577_6344683793816722490_n.jpg

Give us more details. What models are you using? Using any drive pedals? When listening at home are you listen though IEM? What style are you playing?

Anytime I use IEM they always sound a bit brighter than when I use a speaker

Give us more details. What models are you using? Using any drive pedals? When listening at home are you listen though IEM? What style are you playing?

Anytime I use IEM they always sound a bit brighter than when I use a speaker
For cleans I am using a Shiva. The main dirty amps I am using are the Triaxis Red 2 and Dirty Shirley. I have the Shiva gain channel set up as well but I don't think I even touched it. Its hard to put the style into a box, its basically a fusion of everything. I actually have the clean lead set up as the Dumble clean but that's also something I rarely use. At home I did a bunch of different ways, I used my Tannoy 402s, a EV speaker and in ears. My point of reference for saying I would like a fatter core tone is through hearing the front of house, not the in ears. I never trust my in ears to accurately reflect whats coming out of FOH especially since the in ears all have their own eq controls which I do sometimes use to make myself more comfortable.

For cleans I am using a Shiva. The main dirty amps I am using are the Triaxis Red 2 and Dirty Shirley. I have the Shiva gain channel set up as well but I don't think I even touched it.

Is this your first FAS product? If so, the Wiki is your friend. Take a look at the amp models list and it contains the recommended Cabs for the amps which are a good start:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...dels#SHIVER_CLEAN_.28based_on_Bogner_Shiva.29

Recommended Cabs: Bogner, V30, G12M.

Is that rig setup for P&W or a bar gig? If we know more of the tonal variety you're looking for maybe we can guide it to fit your liking. My favorite amp lately is the Brit800 JVM800 with an ambient signal chain for church. It has just enough clean to be punchy and not too heavy gain so it gives me an awesome variety. Can share the preset if you're interested.

For cleans I am using a Shiva. The main dirty amps I am using are the Triaxis Red 2 and Dirty Shirley. I have the Shiva gain channel set up as well but I don't think I even touched it. Its hard to put the style into a box, its basically a fusion of everything. I actually have the clean lead set up as the Dumble clean but that's also something I rarely use. At home I did a bunch of different ways, I used my Tannoy 402s, a EV speaker and in ears. My point of reference for saying I would like a fatter core tone is through hearing the front of house, not the in ears. I never trust my in ears to accurately reflect whats coming out of FOH especially since the in ears all have their own eq controls which I do sometimes use to make myself more comfortable.
My go to cab for almost anything other than AC type amps is the Triptik 1x12. Before that I used a stereo cab where both cabs were the bogner ubercab sime that has the t75/v30 combo panned center but I added either an sm57 or e609 mic sim and a r121 mic sim. That combo sounded killer. I switched to the Trip because after years of the uber cab I wanted to force my self to try something different. Try my uber cab set up, you might dig it. If you don't you can try the uber cab with just the v30 and still use my two mics thing.

If you want to buy a cab pack ML has some killer packs of Bogner's, and boogies.

Is this your first FAS product? If so, the Wiki is your friend. Take a look at the amp models list and it contains the recommended Cabs for the amps which are a good start:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...dels#SHIVER_CLEAN_.28based_on_Bogner_Shiva.29

Recommended Cabs: Bogner, V30, G12M.

Is that rig setup for P&W or a bar gig? If we know more of the tonal variety you're looking for maybe we can guide it to fit your liking. My favorite amp lately is the Brit800 JVM800 with an ambient signal chain for church. It has just enough clean to be punchy and not too heavy gain so it gives me an awesome variety. Can share the preset if you're interested.

Thanks for the reply. I previously owned an Axe Fx II in 2011, I have gone over the wiki and have gone over the recommended amp/combos. I am pretty sure this cab works great for all the amps I have listed. Of course the Triaxis might be better paired with a Mesa style cab but I use the same cab for consistency. As far as venues, I play at weddings so its mostly wedding halls or hotel ball rooms but its not like I play in one place consistently. I also don't do P&W so ambient sounds are not in my wheelhouse. The effects on this thing already blew my mind so that is certainly not the issue I am dealing with. I am specifically looking for help with fattening up what I have dialed in already.I am pretty sure the amp models are not the issue. Perhaps a cab choice that is similar to what I am using but that just comes through with more oomph and less cut or some tips for modifying this one. (I already use the hi and low cut features in the cab blocks).

My go to cab for almost anything other than AC type amps is the Triptik 1x12. Before that I used a stereo cab where both cabs were the bogner ubercab sime that has the t75/v30 combo panned center but I added either an sm57 or e609 mic sim and a r121 mic sim. That combo sounded killer. I switched to the Trip because after years of the uber cab I wanted to force my self to try something different. Try my uber cab set up, you might dig it. If you don't you can try the uber cab with just the v30 and still use my two mics thing.

If you want to buy a cab pack ML has some killer packs of Bogner's, and boogies.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do want to avoid going down the rabbit hole of third party irs for now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do want to avoid going down the rabbit hole of third party irs for now.
def do my mic trick then. If you want do it on your cab first. Just switch cab to stereo, pan it center and put the same cab on both left and right cabs and give each side a different mic

Perhaps a cab choice that is similar to what I am using but that just comes through with more oomph and less cut or some tips for modifying this one. (I already use the hi and low cut features in the cab blocks).

Good to know thanks, can you post your preset for the AX8's you've built already so we can take a look? I might be able to load one up later tonight/this week to tweak it to "my ears" to see if it gets closer to where you want it.

Good to know thanks, can you post your preset for the AX8's you've built already so we can take a look? I might be able to load one up later tonight/this week to tweak it to "my ears" to see if it gets closer to where you want it.
I am at work now and going straight to a gig but will try to get it up here when I can.

Fat switch?
-
Austin
I actually have the fat switch engaged on most of my leads. Seems to just be another way to boost the low mids to me. Again, I don't think I am having an issue with the amp block. I think this is something I need to experiment with the cab block.

Is the EQ flat at FOH? One man's "low end" is "flub" to another...
No doubt about that. I had the engineer put the through the FOH flat before the gig started. Once the gig started they do their usual curbing of the highs and lows and im sure he either boosted the high mids or cut the low mids because thats what they do but I don't hear that because the line is sent to the in ears pre-eq.

Last edited:
There are a couple things to try!
You can try and boost the mids and cut the highs in the graphic eq section of the amp block! That will leave your "feel" pretty close to the same but give you a thicker sound.

You could also try putting a 6,000 Hz hi cut in the cab block.

Another trick is to use a stereo cab block and set the delay parameter on one side to around .6 ms. That fatens up your tone a bit.

There are a couple things to try!
You can try and boost the mids and cut the highs in the graphic eq section of the amp block! That will leave your "feel" pretty close to the same but give you a thicker sound.

You could also try putting a 6,000 Hz hi cut in the cab block.

Another trick is to use a stereo cab block and set the delay parameter on one side to around .6 ms. That fatens up your tone a bit.

Thanks man! Yea, I have the highes cut pretty significantly in the eq section of the amp block, I use the Mesa style 5 band. I am going to try the Cab block suggestion along with Brokvail's earlier suggestion.

Thank all you guys alot! Keep the ideas coming, I appreciate all the help and ideas you guys have given already!

Ask the sound guy to stop cutting the lows and see if that helps. I've had the same problem with direct. The sound guy uses a high pass at 300 Hz and then complains that my guitar is too bright.

Back
Top Bottom