My ears need re-programming. Help?

H13

Inspired
Hey!

So recently, I've been having trouble with my patches in general. Then I had a closer look and realised that I'm using the same cab for all of them. I blended a Mesa 4x12 with an Orange 4x12 so it's not like it's a bad cab combination, but I don't think those cabs are necessarily appropriate to be running a Fender Twin through right?

So I started experimenting with cabs and to be blunt, every cab that wasn't my blended combination was sounding like balls to me.

Basically, my ears have become too accustomed to that one cab, and if it hears anything different, it instantly rejects it. Not cool! This is why my patches have been a bit shite (Well...one of many reasons!)

Help my re-program my ears to accept cabs that aren't the crappy one I made which has got such an enourmous mid hump that it's a bit painful!

If people could recommend cabs (Factory or otherwise) for these amps:
- Bogner Uberschall
- Marshall JTM45
- Fender Twin
- EVH5153

I'll force myself to use 'em for a day, build patches for em and hopefully my ears will "open up" a bit :)

I got the Uberschall sounding incredible using two ENGL cabs from ML Labs. I think it's Cab Pack 19. The 5153 would sound bad ass thru the ENGL Cab as well. All the high gain amps do.
It's one of my favorite cabs in any cab pack. The Diesel Cab from ML is also another awesome cab.
I never found any stock cab that I liked with the Uber, but it is brutal with that ENGL. tight, heavy, great string definition and harmonics all the way through. Like a Sledgehammer with laser accuracy. :eek::cool:

Hey!

So recently, I've been having trouble with my patches in general. Then I had a closer look and realised that I'm using the same cab for all of them. I blended a Mesa 4x12 with an Orange 4x12 so it's not like it's a bad cab combination, but I don't think those cabs are necessarily appropriate to be running a Fender Twin through right?

So I started experimenting with cabs and to be blunt, every cab that wasn't my blended combination was sounding like balls to me.

Basically, my ears have become too accustomed to that one cab, and if it hears anything different, it instantly rejects it. Not cool! This is why my patches have been a bit shite (Well...one of many reasons!)

Help my re-program my ears to accept cabs that aren't the crappy one I made which has got such an enourmous mid hump that it's a bit painful!

If people could recommend cabs (Factory or otherwise) for these amps:
- Bogner Uberschall
- Marshall JTM45
- Fender Twin
- EVH5153

I'll force myself to use 'em for a day, build patches for em and hopefully my ears will "open up" a bit :)

Might be a good idea to think about the kind of cabs each of those amps are usually played through IRL.

Uber: Uberkab, mesa, orange... closed back 412 with v30's and/or greenbacks or 75's or variants thereof.

Jtm45: open back 212's, pretty much the same thing you'd want for a Bassman (Jensens, etc.)

Twin: same as above, but also really nice with some alnico flavors. Don't be scared to try some vox-ish flavors here... the "boutique" 212 is really great.

5153: same as the uber, closed back 412. Also closed 212's. Try the buzzbomb for something a little different.

Play a bunch of different full range music through your Axe rig. It helps to cleanse the pallet so to speak. If you then play along with the music, any tonal oddities in your preset will stand out better when you have a different point of reference. Our brains are really good at adapting to stimuli over time. Your overly middy tone starts to sound normal the longer you listen to it. It helps to feed your ears and brain something in a contrasting context to sort of reset your perception of it.

Download Yek's presets (link in any of his amp previews). You know they are setup to play and the amp and cabs are matched.

When deciding what cabs go with what amps, I always load up a backing track of the style of music I'm playing and improv with my preset along with the backing track.
I've found it's tough to dial in a sound without hearing it in the mix.
What sounds like total thin fizzy crap sounds great with the rest of the band.

How's your monitoring situation? It could be that your monitors are "complimenting" that cab choice so to speak due to frequency response, and the frequencies they emphasise/deemphasise ends up sounding normal to you, and by extension other cabs will sound bad once you're used to it.

When you use the same cab for a long time your ears definitely get used to that sound. You start trusting that sound.

I don't think it's wrong to use a Fender through a 4x12 IR. That's like a Mesa Lonestar essentially. If you've found "your tone" with that IR combination then be happy with it. :)

You will reach a point where it seems boring to always sound the same. That's when you should start exploring other IR's.

Remember to choose the IR before choosing the amp.

Back
Top Bottom