My custom rack I/O panel...

shotgunn

Fractal Fanatic
All I have to do is wire the two XLR males. I forget them from my initial order and had them send me two XLR females. I got my genders all mixed up. Let me know what you think. I am willing to build these to spec for anyone interested. PM me for more details.

In case anyone asks... I use guitars with piezo outputs. So I have a stereo cable coming from my guitars and into the Input 1 Right input. Which is wired TRS. The tip, which carries the magnetic signal is wired to the Input 1 Left jack and it feeds the front panel Input 1 Left jack. I wasn't thinking of this when I ordered the labels. Hindsight 20/20 I would have had the stereo input simply say Guitar, and the magnetic feedthru perhaps could've said magnetic or Mags.

d86ec87c.jpg

155e972e.jpg

3ccfb883.jpg

a23cd67b.jpg

e342291b.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers! That's a road stable rack no doubt. (Sorry Jon, I just couldn't say it)
Curious, I see you are running both a powered MIDI IN 7 pin and the CAT-5?? What is the set up where both get used like this?

Cheers! That's a road stable rack no doubt. (Sorry Jon, I just couldn't say it)
Curious, I see you are running both a powered MIDI IN 7 pin and the CAT-5?? What is the set up where both get used like this?

Future proofing. As of right now I use the LFP as my MIDI controller. I wired the MFC just in case. I use the 7 pin MIDI for bidirectional comm between the II and the LFP and phantom power.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

This is a nice build. Im planning to do the same though I'll probably skip most of the 1/4" jacks at the outset.

I've been wondering whether it would be feasible to use a piece of plexiglass or some other semi-opaque material for the panel. I used to have lots of LEDs on my old amp and I have a cool schematic to switch them via MIDI.

I guess you could make one out of some 1/4" plexiglass. I don't see the point. This panel was only $13. Pre punched. To me it is not worth the time & effort to make my own since it is so cheap.

This is a nice build. Im planning to do the same though I'll probably skip most of the 1/4" jacks at the outset.

I've been wondering whether it would be feasible to use a piece of plexiglass or some other semi-opaque material for the panel. I used to have lots of LEDs on my old amp and I have a cool schematic to switch them via MIDI.

I'm planning to put an AC outlet on the rear panel and two XLR jacks to output to my Atomics as well. My plan is to never remove the rear door.

Nicely done shtogunn. I appreciate all the photos!

I like your approach with the front mount.

Terry.

I'm planning to put an AC outlet and two XLR jacks for power and signal to my Atomics on the rear door. This way I'll never have to remove the rear door.

Nicely done shtogunn. I appreciate all the photos!

I like your approach with the front mount.

Terry.

This looks fantastic! Great work. I was far too insecure in my soldering abilities and ordered custom for my front panel. I envy you and the money you saved!

Out of curiosity, what's the case make?

The case is made by EWI. I bought it used with my Ultra about a year ago. It is surprisingly light considering it is a shock rack. If you get yourself a decent soldering iron and the right type of solder it is a breeze. Just don't keep the iron on for too long. PLus it helps to have one of these...

376ed95e.jpg

And one of these...

3d6bd6d4.jpg

Aaaaaannnnd one of these... Digitally controllable thermostat with fume extractor, desoldering gun, and SMD rework hot air gun. The soldering iron goes from 0 to 440 celcius in 8 seconds!!!

5938c1f7.jpg

This looks fantastic! Great work. I was far too insecure in my soldering abilities and ordered custom for my front panel. I envy you and the money you saved!

Out of curiosity, what's the case make?

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
ccroyalsenders said:
I was far too insecure in my soldering abilities and ordered custom for my front panel.
The only connector that I can't find a feed thru jack for is 7 pin MIDI. I listed the bill of materials in my front panel thread.

According to Redco they do not have a 7 pin feedthru. I opted to hard wire everything. Largely because the feed thru's were twice the cost of the hard wire panel jacks.

The only connector that I can't find a feed thru jack for is 7 pin MIDI. I listed the bill of materials in my front panel thread.

I see your following my footsteps with the 7-pin midi connector from REDCO! Nice work on the panel...if I may offer a suggestion? If you're going to offer these for sale, you might want to think about using snake cable...I used the Mogami 16-channel snake cable for mine, it was better quality and much more cost effective than using standard cable for each connection. Also, it is much smaller in overall size than using individual cables! My build is shown here:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/42540-new-info-about-axe-2-front-panel-jacks.html

THere's pictures of the panel and connections, but I didn't think to shoot any of the cabling. The Mogami 16channel snake cable is only about 3/4" in diameter, so it's really compact.

If your OK with an iron, 7 Pin midi is no issue. I couldnt find a "d type" 7 Pin socket, but did find some "d-type" blanks that accept any standard 7 pin socked (either the ones mounted with a nut OR the ones with an oval flange monted with screws).

i just need a USB Pass through (which is easy to get) and a short suitable USB cable (which isnt !!) - and possible a power outlet. Currently my power cable just feeds through a gap in two rack blanks - but Ice put my bay on the back not the front. i have space on the front, but Im happy enough with rear mounted.

P1020566.jpg

P1020569.jpg

Good idea with the snake cable!!!

I see your following my footsteps with the 7-pin midi connector from REDCO! Nice work on the panel...if I may offer a suggestion? If you're going to offer these for sale, you might want to think about using snake cable...I used the Mogami 16-channel snake cable for mine, it was better quality and much more cost effective than using standard cable for each connection. Also, it is much smaller in overall size than using individual cables! My build is shown here:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/42540-new-info-about-axe-2-front-panel-jacks.html

THere's pictures of the panel and connections, but I didn't think to shoot any of the cabling. The Mogami 16channel snake cable is only about 3/4" in diameter, so it's really compact.

Redco has a 3' USB cable. I bought one. I normally buy USB cables here... USB Cables

I have two 18" USB's and they were too short. So 3' is as short as we can get away with.

i just need a USB Pass through (which is easy to get) and a short suitable USB cable (which isnt !!) - and possible a power outlet.

According to Redco they do not have a 7 pin feedthru. I opted to hard wire everything. Largely because the feed thru's were twice the cost of the hard wire panel jacks.

Pretty cool panel and nice work indeed. I'm in the process of doing the same thing and was wondering if you had the part numbers for the USB, MFC/Ethernet RJ45, and the 7-pin MIDI? I'm sure I've found the right ones, but since you've got those working for sure I thought I'd ask.

Back
Top Bottom