My contribution - High Gain Metal Rhythm video test (6 amps)

kengtin

Here I'm showcasing the amazing Axe-Fx II in a metal rhythm context. I'm demoing the best 6 amp model presets I've dialed in after my first 3 weeks with the unit. I'm playing the same simple riffs for each amp focusing mostly on chords and single notes (open/muted).

Download the patches and enjoy. Please reply back if you've improved them.

Amp models:
- Bogner Ubershall (0:00)
- Peavey 5150 (0:45)
- Engl Powerball (1:31)
- Marshall JMP-1 (2:19)
- Mesa Rectifier (3:04)
- Mesa Mark IV (3:49)

Signal: Schecter Blackjack ATX-7 (EMG-81-7) to Axe-Fx II to Workstation (directly through USB). No audio post processing.

NOTES:
- I tweaked these sounds through a pair of Yamaha HS-50 monitors
- Firmware version 5.04b
- I used stereo cabs in these patches, 2 mono will be the next immediate tweak

UPDATE: Credit where it goes, my Rectifier patch is based on Ola Englund's "5 second squirt" patch

View attachment JMP-1.syx
View attachment MarkIV.syx
View attachment 5150.syx
View attachment Powerball.syx
View attachment Rectifier.syx
View attachment Uberschall.syx

Last edited:
so glad someone did this comparison with gear similar to mine (same pups and i use the hs80ms) and even shared the presets... damn man sounds really good, the rectifier sounded best to me

I tried them and like them a lot, but they are quite soft, a bit muffled and compressed compared to my other patches, do you set your patches to a overal low level gain and then turn up the axe to compensate?

I tried them and like them a lot, but they are quite soft, a bit muffled and compressed compared to my other patches, do you set your patches to a overal low level gain and then turn up the axe to compensate?

I'm not sure what do you mean by turning up the axe to compensate, you mean volume level? I usually start messing around with the gain and the master levels of the amp block along with either a parametric EQ or a drive block before it. I try to keep it as punchy as possible without sacrificing definition.

What equipment (pickups/monitors) did you use to try these presets? I created these presets with EMG's, but I also tried them with my Blackouts and those have even more saturation, so the gain or presence go down even more. I tweaked these sounds through my monitors at room level, but also made sure they sound acceptable a bit louder.

I'm not getting any playback through my axe II, not really sure why.... =/

You're not getting any sound out of any of the 6 presets? When that has happened to me it's usually because I'm missing the CAB definition. I relied only (or mostly) on the RW bundled ones. Anyway, hope that's the case.

Can't wait to try these. I've got a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser with the EMG 81-7's and I've been having a hard time finding tones that sound good for this guitar. I'm assuming it's the difference between active vs. passive since my older Ibanez RG7620 with a Tone Zone 7 sounded a lot better with most of the patches floating around.

Last edited:
Just tried these out for a few minutes. Sound really great with my Schecter C-7. There's a little bit of squealing happening between notes of I'm playing heavy but I just need to tweak for that.

They all sound pretty good to me. Nice playing too.

Looking forward to trying them out later. Thanks for sharing!

killer sounding patches man - are you planning on doing anything with the VH4/Das Metal?? for some reason I keep going back to it for my main tone and would like to see what you do with it

Back
Top Bottom