My "Comfortably Numb" Preset

Brian Coonan

Power User
Thought I would share this in case anyone is looking for one, or wants to check it out. I might question the high end a little, but, for the most part I kinda dig it. Got a rehearsal tomorrow so I thought I'd give it a go and wanted to hear what it might sound like in a mix. I f'ing love the AX8.

Same preset was used for both - (It's Scene 2 with the Filter block on via FS 4)

First Solo:
Main Solo:

Preset attached as well. :)

Attachments

• BC-Numb.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 356
Sounds very nice, though just as a bit of constructive criticism, I think it’s missing a little bit of grit/sizzle. Obviously Gilmour’s own rig has changed so much and his tones have too, but as far as the classic versions with the Rams Head Muff, there is also a bit of high end graininess that makes a muff sound a bit different than a distortion, though they aren’t worlds apart.

Sounds great as is though

Sounds very nice, though just as a bit of constructive criticism, I think it’s missing a little bit of grit/sizzle. Obviously Gilmour’s own rig has changed so much and his tones have too, but as far as the classic versions with the Rams Head Muff, there is also a bit of high end graininess that makes a muff sound a bit different than a distortion, though they aren’t worlds apart.

Sounds great as is though
Thanks man - I actually was using the PI Fuzz - I think that's the one that is supposed to be closest to the Big Muff (which I had read that he used for a time or still does) but couldn't really get it to not be, to my ears, really muffly sounding. Like I wasn't getting enough bite or clarity out of it. I have a rehearsal tonight and I'll be curious to see how this works in a live situation. Thanks for the feedback - always welcome!

Brian

Last edited:
The Pi is a tough one to dial in, I think it’s based off a NYC v3 Big Muff maybe ? They all sound a bit different in the gain, scoop, low end etc. A violet Rams Head vs a Green Russian are pretty different sounding. Think Animals tour live tones vs Pulse tones. Cool but different for sure, thunder of “Sorrow” vs searing “Fletcher Memorial Home” for example....

I actually kind of like the Rat better than the Pi for Gilmour tones as far as the drive block goes, sounds a bit closer to what I like in the thick yet cutting tone. The Riot works well too

Or a hardware pedal like the Green Russian really sounds good too, and quite cheap. Just sort of plug and play with no “bad” sounds at any knob setting.

The Pi is a tough one to dial in, I think it’s based off a NYC v3 Big Muff maybe ? They all sound a bit different in the gain, scoop, low end etc. A violet Rams Head vs a Green Russian are pretty different sounding. Think Animals tour live tones vs Pulse tones. Cool but different for sure, thunder of “Sorrow” vs searing “Fletcher Memorial Home” for example....

I actually kind of like the Rat better than the Pi for Gilmour tones as far as the drive block goes, sounds a bit closer to what I like in the thick yet cutting tone. The Riot works well too

Or a hardware pedal like the Green Russian really sounds good too, and quite cheap. Just sort of plug and play with no “bad” sounds at any knob setting.
Cool man - thanks for the tips!

Great tone and playing. Thank you for sharing it.

I have loaded the preset to the AX8, but the drive selected on all scenes is Tape Dist. Pi Fuzz is on Drive/Y, but the setting of Drive and Mix are at zero. I've set Drive to 6 and mix to 100%, and it starts to sing

Great tone and playing. Thank you for sharing it.

I have loaded the preset to the AX8, but the drive selected on all scenes is Tape Dist. Pi Fuzz is on Drive/Y, but the setting of Drive and Mix are at zero. I've set Drive to 6 and mix to 100%, and it starts to sing

Thanks a bunch. Yeah - I switched to the Tape Dist - didn’t like the sound of the PI Fuzz but I’ll revisit with your suggestion.

I rehearsed the other night with the band and used this as it is now and it was “ok”. I liked it but didn’t love it so I’m going to do some more tweaking to it. :)

I actually kind of like the Rat better than the Pi for Gilmour tones as far as the drive block goes, sounds a bit closer to what I like in the thick yet cutting tone. The Riot works well too.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Rat - I tried the Fat Rat, but ended up with just the Rat and LOVE it - so thanks again for that little suggestion. Can't wait to try it live! Totally see what you mean about the tone..

Thought I would share this in case anyone is looking for one, or wants to check it out. I might question the high end a little, but, for the most part I kinda dig it. Got a rehearsal tomorrow so I thought I'd give it a go and wanted to hear what it might sound like in a mix. I f'ing love the AX8.

Same preset was used for both - (It's Scene 2 with the Filter block on via FS 4)

First Solo:
Main Solo:

Very nice sounds really good!

First Solo:
Main Solo:

Very Nice...!!!

Back
Top Bottom