My bass player and my extra Axe FxII?

REDD

Fractal Fanatic
I was maybe going to let my bass player try out my backup Axe FxII but I am curious about FRFR speakers. Do bass players use the same stuff as us guitar players for FRFR? I would think so but don't want him blowing one of my Friedmans or CLR'S.

I'm a bassist that uses FR speakers for bass, both active and passive versions of the CLR. I can't speak for the Friedman cabinets. The Active CLR has protection overload limiting circuitry that'll prevent you from damaging anything. If using the passives, then treat them with the same power rating precautions that you would any PA speaker.

A different question has to do with whether your bassist likes the way these sound for bass, and in what context (rehearsal or performance, style of music, stage volume, support via FOH speakers, etc.) the bassist is using these FR cabinets.

jimfist basically hit it on the head. Depends on the "FRFR" speaker, and more importantly, how it sounds with the tone and volume needs your bassist / band needs. Some of the guitar "FRFR" are anything but FRFR ;), and some have built in protections (again, as jimfist pointed out).

Start low and bring things up to volume slowly. If you hear unwanted distortion (aka "farting") you're pushing it too far and will cause permanent damage.

I'd personally recommend getting an AudioKinesis or fEarful type cab (most especially if you have little or poor PA support for shows). But for the sake of seeing if your bassist likes the Axe-Fx II, the guitar FRFR should probably be suitable.

Yeah, don't expect to be overwhelmed with sub frequencies (bass fundamental tones) below 80hz due to the design of the speaker and cabinets. So the operative word is "expectations". As long as you don't try to force the issue and make the speakers do something they aren't designed to do, you'll be ok.

That said, here are some pics of various FR bass rigs I've used...

*Ghetto* Seismic 15" coaxial passives for an outdoor beer bash
20140913_175139.jpg

2 Passive + 1 active Atomic CLR, club date
20160325_211909.jpg

2 x Active Atomic CLR club date (same venue, cabinets in front fill wedge position instead of back line)
IMG_1404190121590.jpg

Nice. I've toyed around with the idea of getting a wedge for monitoring. I'm just super happy with my AK though... and not sure there's a wedge out there that can do much with low B and A, let alone F#.

Back
Top Bottom