My Band - Local Newsapers Online Music Video Series

Fro

Experienced
One of the groups I’m working with is the backing band for local artist Xeno. He’s been around for a long time, a staple of the local music scene, and has played with various groups over the years. He just released his first solo album.

One of the Milwaukee newspapers, The Journal Sentinel, has an online edition with a section that features local music, including in-studio performances. They have a small write-up for the artists, and also record two video performances to put online with the article, recorded and filmed at their in-house studio.

I used the Axe Fx exclusively for the album and for the in-studio performances. For the two videos, I’m running direct to the mixer with Output 1, and I’m using the Atomic CLR with Output 2 as backline. This is the same setup I use when I play live with this band.

Here is a link to the article. Links to the video are on the left-hand side of the article.

Rock band veteran steps up to the mic as solo artist

And here are the direct links to the videos:

Xeno - 'Rock & Roll Baby' - Journal Sentinel Video

Xeno - 'I Still Believe in Rock & Roll' - Journal Sentinel Video

I'm the one on the right with the Graffiti Yellow Strat Plus.

I do have a Spinal Tap moment that goes along with this. The bass players Snark tuner broke. Someone had a tuner lying around and gave it to the bass player to use. We did the first take of Rock N Roll baby, and something was way out of tune. We all checked against our individual tuners, and everyone seemed to be in tune. Someone joked that the borrowed tuner was probably calibrated wrong. We checked it, and it was indeed set to A447 instead of A440. Oops, Crap! So we retuned and did it again. We told The Journal Sentinel to scrap the first take. Of course, they used the first take anyway. Awesome for us. Oh well, Rock N Roll Baby!!

I hope you enjoy!

Hey Fro, I enjoyed listening to both songs. I noticed on the first tune, "Rock & Roll Baby", that your guitar sound was a bit small and thin compared to the rest of the instruments. I read about the tuner calibration problem on that tune, what a pain that had to be man!

On "I still Believe In Rock & Roll" it sounded like you had the basically same tone going on, but you sounded much better with more volume and a fuller tone. Thanks for sharing the links and the tunes. You got a very good band there and I wish you guys much success!:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom