AFIII My band has died - last show recording

TravisG406

Power User
Loved being in this group. Our main singer/guitarist got a really good job offer out of the blue and has moved out of state. We were a band for 11 years. Started when we had no kids and ended with a this one goes to 11 situation ;) We were able to practice half the songs in this set so there are some flubs. It happened quick and I was recreating some things in Cygnusland haha.

Figured out a day the gig would work on a Saturday, got the permit and practiced for an hour and maybe a half on Wednesday and played the show that Friday. Rhythm is on FM3, I'm on the III. Our former bass player drove ~500 miles that day with a 4 week old in tow and joined on some Acoustic guitar. Got maybe the best mix I've ever done thanks to Slate VSX headphones. Super helpful to know what I'm hearing will translate.

I had a (I thought) cool rigging where I ran the FM3 stereo out into my Input 2 and had an expression pedal to pan us hard left and right when we were both doing similar guitar things and then pan us both stereo when I'm doing a solo or we're both playing different parts.

Anyways, here's set 1 :)

00:00 Oh Helena 00:56 Kathleen - Josh Ritter 06:23 Some Kind Of Adventure - Original 10:11 Under Heaven's Skies - Collective Soul 15:14 Time - Pink Floyd 20:23 All These Things That I've Done - The Killers 25:56 I Need Never Get Old - Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats 29:54 Last Dance With Mary Jane/Dani California - Petty/RHCP 38:20 American Girl - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 42:19 Some Random Dude? That guy wasn't there before - Crowd Person 43:12 3AM - Matchbox Twenty 47:40 Peaches - Presidents Of The United States Of America 51:11 6th Avenue Heartache - The Wallflowers 56:19 Proud Mary - CCR

Last edited:
Awesome and great... My sightseeing not so good to read a picket on guitar case, which reads;
" TIPS are Hugs without the .... body contact"... what it reads?....Anyway great gig,cheers~!

Sounds great! I feel your pain, my band since 2007 breathed its last during pandemic… a victim of time and nowhere to play. Life goes on! Jamming with some new people now so who knows? I hope you find something new, and am glad you got one last show in!

Awesome and great... My sightseeing not so good to read a picket on guitar case, which reads;
" TIPS are Hugs without the .... body contact"... what it reads?....Anyway great gig,cheers~!
Tips are hugs without the awkward body contact 😁

Sounds great! I feel your pain, my band since 2007 breathed its last during pandemic… a victim of time and nowhere to play. Life goes on! Jamming with some new people now so who knows? I hope you find something new, and am glad you got one last show in!
Yes, sad to have to move on, but it'll give me a push to record the songs I've written. I definitely went through the stages of grief though. Hope you get something good going!

Last edited:
Aw ... just the sheer joy of 4 guys getting together and making music. You'll remember the feeling for the rest of your lives. Live music ..... nothing beats it. Just getting out there and making other people happy, even with the flubs, is a good thing. Music may not make the world go round but it would be a much bleaker and joyless place without it. Good on you guys for "giving it a go". I enjoyed the video and the fact that Fractal enabled you to get the sounds you were after. Cheers from Australia!

Aw ... just the sheer joy of 4 guys getting together and making music. You'll remember the feeling for the rest of your lives. Live music ..... nothing beats it. Just getting out there and making other people happy, even with the flubs, is a good thing. Music may not make the world go round but it would be a much bleaker and joyless place without it. Good on you guys for "giving it a go". I enjoyed the video and the fact that Fractal enabled you to get the sounds you were after. Cheers from Australia!
Thanks!! It's awesome to be able to preserve a memory like this for sure!

Enjoyed that!
Good on you guys.
What did you use to record it? (Mics-Desk-Medium)?
Thanks
Pauly

PS - Last words? "We'll be right back" :-(
Loved being in this group. Our main singer/guitarist got a really good job offer out of the blue and has moved out of state. We were a band for 11 years. Started when we had no kids and ended with a this one goes to 11 situation ;) We were able to practice half the songs in this set so there are some flubs. It happened quick and I was recreating some things in Cygnusland haha.

Figured out a day the gig would work on a Saturday, got the permit and practiced for an hour and maybe a half on Wednesday and played the show that Friday. Rhythm is on FM3, I'm on the III. Our former bass player drove ~500 miles that day with a 4 week old in tow and joined on some Acoustic guitar. Got maybe the best mix I've ever done thanks to Slate VSX headphones. Super helpful to know what I'm hearing will translate.

I had a (I thought) cool rigging where I ran the FM3 stereo out into my Input 2 and had an expression pedal to pan us hard left and right when we were both doing similar guitar things and then pan us both stereo when I'm doing a solo or we're both playing different parts.

Anyways, here's set 1 :)

00:00 Oh Helena 00:56 Kathleen - Josh Ritter 06:23 Some Kind Of Adventure - Original 10:11 Under Heaven's Skies - Collective Soul 15:14 Time - Pink Floyd 20:23 All These Things That I've Done - The Killers 25:56 I Need Never Get Old - Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats 29:54 Last Dance With Mary Jane/Dani California - Petty/RHCP 38:20 American Girl - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 42:19 Some Random Dude? That guy wasn't there before - Crowd Person 43:12 3AM - Matchbox Twenty 47:40 Peaches - Presidents Of The United States Of America 51:11 6th Avenue Heartache - The Wallflowers 56:19 Proud Mary - CCR

Enjoyed that!
Good on you guys.
What did you use to record it? (Mics-Desk-Medium)?
Thanks
Pauly

PS - Last words? "We'll be right back" :-(
I recorded direct to a hard drive from my QSC Touchmix 30 pro. Vocal mics were Sennheiser e945's. Lead Guitar is direct AxeFx III. Rhythm electric is FM3 direct. Bass is Tech 21 DP3-X direct. Drums were my drummer's microphones so I don't exactly remember those. Mixed in Cakewalk with SlateVSX headphones for monitoring :)

Set 2!

00:00 Kayla's request 6 years in the making! 00:21 Classy Girls - The Lumineers 05:34 No Rain - Blind Melon 09:33 The Way - Fastball 16:11 You Wreck Me - Tom Petty 21:09 A Dancing Song - Original 24:01 All For You - Sister Hazel 27:56 Band On The Run - Wings 34:11 Bright Lights - Matchbox Twenty 37:31 The Pit - Mouse Rat (formerly known as Scarecrow Boat) 39:00 Can't Stop - Red Hot Chili Peppers 44:11 Dayman - Charlie Kelly 48:05 Everybody Went Low - John Hiatt 51:26 Everybody Went Low - Ali Jam Time 54:57 I See You Rodney - Original 1:00:44 Shut Up And Dance - Walk The Moon 1:04:49 Jailhouse Rock - Elvis

Back
Top Bottom