My Back Loves the Axe-FX!

fox5150

Inspired
Despite having used the Axe-FX for the last two years or so, I'm only just getting around to sorting out my previous rig - I know, terrible... It's all still in the pedalboard and rack case that I used. TC Electronic G-System with multiple pedals, split between the rack case and the pedalboard.

I've just had to shift it to break it all down and prep it for a mammoth eBay session that I'll be having next week and I really have no idea how I managed to lug this lot around (plus amp!) week in, week out for the best part of four years. It's all so bloody heavy!

I still move around the same number of components, but each one weighs so much less than its counterpart. I reckon it's somewhere between 30%-50% of the weight of my previous "traditional" setup.

Amongst all the glowing reviews of how the Axe-FX sounds, and quite right too, let's take a moment to recognise how convenient it all is. Whether it's racked up in a studio, or part of a gigging/touring rig, the Axe-FX, and associated "stuff", has completely revolutionised the practicalities of making music and certainly saved my poor back and shoulders from early retirement.

I love it!

I hear ya on that. I had a head, in a road case, a 4x12 cab in a road case, a 2x12 cab in a road case.... I bet my whole rig now doesn't weigh what any one of those did. It sounded awesome, make no mistake, but I'm not missing it a bit. This is the most versatility I have ever had.

yeah it beats throwing around a 120watt full tube head, and dual 4x12's.

Are you going to lighten your guitars now as well? As much As I love the old Les Paul's they not easy on the shoulders.

yeah it beats throwing around a 120watt full tube head, and dual 4x12's.

Are you going to lighten your guitars now as well? As much As I love the old Les Paul's they not easy on the shoulders.

I have indeed. Unfortunately my beloved Les Paul rarely gets to a gig these days, having been replaced with a pair of PRS guitars; one 2013 Custom 24 and a 513. The Les Paul simply puts too much of a strain on my shoulders, whereas the PRS are far more forgiving.

Unlike my "traditional" rig, however, the Les Paul is going nowhere!

I have indeed. Unfortunately my beloved Les Paul rarely gets to a gig these days, having been replaced with a pair of PRS guitars; one 2013 Custom 24 and a 513. The Les Paul simply puts too much of a strain on my shoulders, whereas the PRS are far more forgiving.

Unlike my "traditional" rig, however, the Les Paul is going nowhere!
Yeah, generally I dont sell off stuff, it gets put in the studio and used for recording instead of travel. That goes double for guitars, when you find the ones you like you just dont part with them. Or you regret it down the road.

This is an excellent post. While we tend to focus on the great tones, effects and flexibility, the side benefits of light weight, quick setup and small stage footprint usually take a back seat here on the forum. It's great that we get to enjoy all of these side benefits without having to make any sacrifices tonewise.

My story and what pushed me over the top to get the Axe has more to do with these benefits.... I came into some money, enough to buy an Axe, MFC 101 and CLR, or a great amp like a Friedman HBE or Metroplex. I was gigging in one of our usual places with my rig - a Marshall 425A 412 cab with my Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 head and Roccaforte head on top, (switched by a Radial Headbone). The rig sat sidestage, with it's back to the end of the bar. Two drunk girls get into a barfight behind my rig, one pushes the other into the back of it and it all fell over. Fortunately, everything's built like a tank and other than a few small scratches it's ok and I was able to finish the gig. But it got me thinking how nice an Axe rig would sit in a small anvil case under or near the drum riser, so I went for the Axe. The stage volume control, versatility and quick load in perks are a big deal for me now, and my back doesn't complain much these days.

Back
Top Bottom