My AxeFX II XL Still Amazes Me

Sleestak

Power User
Today I spent a few hours building new patches for songs we're adding to our set list. I absolutely love the way the II XL does its magic. I posted elsewhere that "yes, I'll upgrade to the III when the time comes", and it's still true. But if you're in the fence about the sonic quality and versatility of the AxeFX II, you should remember how many professional musicians have made it their platform of choice.

I play in a few live settings, as well as doing work in the studio. One of my live bands is a David Bowie tribute, and I'm the only guitarist. We're adding songs for upcoming shows, and I have a lot of sonic territory to cover; remember, Bowie typically had two guitarists onstage... I have to layer to the tones and signal paths to build a big composite soundscape. Even with 2 amps, 2 cabs, multiple effect blocks in each chain - AND the synth - I'm not maxing out the processing power.

I drive a vehicle that is eight years old. Yes, there is a newer model available, with more power and some cool tech features. My current vehicle is great. It hauls my gear, or can hold a bunch of people, and is very versatile. I would probably make use of the new features in the latest version of my car, but the fact that they exist doesn't invalidate the usefulness of my current car. And I happen to own it outright, and will continue to enjoy using it for years to come.

For me, it's the same with the AxeFX. I'll find ways to leverage the power of the III, but I stand by every recording / performance I've made with the AxeFX II.

Amazed by the Axe Fx II yeah sure !

But I'm still amazed by the standard, which I have not owned for 4 years or so.

I guess you can say the modeling started with the Rockman X-100 (or at least for me) big problem solver sounded pretty good but also limiting. Next step forward the Line 6 Pod (the bean) but after that Line 6 dropped the ball IMO with there next few units.
Then the Axe Fx. Fractal just completely blew it out of the water.

John

Back
Top Bottom