My Axe III does not work

andyp13

Power User
Switched on my Axe III and it’s dead, disconnected all cables tried it again and it’s the same...
i I turn the value I get this screen, no matter what I do it stays on this screen then sometimes when I press the enter key I get a very loud high pitched hiss all 4 levels are off.
none of the inputs are working.

please help someone...

Attachments

• C348C9DB-F65C-4722-9B10-202A94D4C38E.jpeg
    C348C9DB-F65C-4722-9B10-202A94D4C38E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
If a problematic system parameter prevents the Axe-Fx III from booting, hold EDIT on startup to bypass non-default system settings. Then reset the Setup parameters. Press-and-hold both EDIT and HOME at startup to bypass the system settings AND load a clean preset.

You can also revert to a previous firmware version using the emergency bootloader:
  1. Power on holding both PAGE LEFT and PAGE RIGHT buttons until the Emergency Utility page appears
  2. Update using Fractal-Bot.

If a problematic system parameter prevents the Axe-Fx III from booting, hold EDIT on startup to bypass non-default system settings. Then reset the Setup parameters. Press-and-hold both EDIT and HOME at startup to bypass the system settings AND load a clean preset.

You can also revert to a previous firmware version using the emergency bootloader:
  1. Power on holding both PAGE LEFT and PAGE RIGHT buttons until the Emergency Utility page appears
  2. Update using Fractal-Bot.
hi Yek first of all thank you for the quick and lifesaving response)...I held down the EDIT and it booted and I’m now getting sound from it and also able to change presets etc... what does holding the EDIT button do when I boot it? What does it reset?

Please can someone help me out here, none of my pedals are working (wah or volume) everything completely dead - tap display gone also on pedal...volume in off position..

Last edited:
Have you tried re-calibrating the expression pedals? If it's a venue you're new to, try different power source? Lastly, try a Reset System Parameters.

Holding EDIT seems to be a "safe mode" boot procedure.

From manual, page 178

PROBLEMS WITH GLOBAL SETTINGS OR PARAMETERS

In the very unlikely event that a problematic system parameter prevents the Axe-Fx III from booting normally, you may use the following procedure to recover:
1. Power down the unit and wait five seconds.
2. Power on holding EDIT until the boot-up progress bar first appears.
3. Enter SETUP, open the Utilities menu, and page to Reset.
4. Execute Reset System Parameters as indicated on-screen (Push-knob A followed by ENTER).
WARNING! Do NOT accidentally perform CLEAR ALL PRESETS!!!
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to execute. Press HOME when finished.

You can in fact hold both HOME and EDIT at once to reset the current preset and prevent the loading of global settings and parameters.

Have you tried re-calibrating the expression pedals? If it's a venue you're new to, try different power source? Lastly, try a Reset System Parameters.

tried different power source... the only thing I did when it wasn’t switching on properly was hold down the EDIT button and re-booted...after that none of my pedals work anymore... I asked for help but the op just told me to read the manual....ESW kindly sent me the link but it doesn’t seem to mention what gets reset When you reboot with the EDIT and what you need to do after such a reboot.... starting to sweat as the show starts soon...

Do your presets have Send and Return blocks? Double check the level and bypass states of each block as well as the Input and Output blocks.

If you have any spare cables- expression, xlr, instrument, etc... - replace what you can. If not, unplug and reconnect each cable. Double-check levels on front of Axe - OUT 1, OUT 2 etc.. - that you use.

Things that I would check...
  1. Calibrate the expression pedals and verify that they are working correctly
  2. If you are using External Controllers, check that they are set to the proper FC-x Pedal inputs
  3. If your 'FC Layouts' got reset.... you will have to rebuild them?
  4. Check other Global settings to see if they need to be put back to your preferences?
Sorry that you are going through this.. Definitely got me thinking that having some way to restore your unit with you at all times should be on everyone's mind. Or at the very least, some screenshots of all important settings in your phone so that you can find your way back to where you need to be.

Holding EDIT seems to be a "safe mode" boot procedure.

From manual, page 178

PROBLEMS WITH GLOBAL SETTINGS OR PARAMETERS

In the very unlikely event that a problematic system parameter prevents the Axe-Fx III from booting normally, you may use the following procedure to recover:
1. Power down the unit and wait five seconds.
2. Power on holding EDIT until the boot-up progress bar first appears.
3. Enter SETUP, open the Utilities menu, and page to Reset.
4. Execute Reset System Parameters as indicated on-screen (Push-knob A followed by ENTER).
WARNING! Do NOT accidentally perform CLEAR ALL PRESETS!!!
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to execute. Press HOME when finished.

You can in fact hold both HOME and EDIT at once to reset the current preset and prevent the loading of global settings and parameters.

done that but still the same - no pedals working... does the boot up also do something to the communication to the pedal (RJM GT16) as Just noticed that the tuned doesn’t work Also.?

done that but still the same - no pedals working... does the boot up also do something to the communication to the pedal (RJM GT16) as Just noticed that the tuned doesn’t work Also.?
Ahh.. no FC pedal... Maybe the midi assignments are gone? If you use an expression pedal for volume, there will be no level if the pedal is not detected.

Back
Top Bottom