My axe fx just blew up.

j_m_s

Inspired
424805_10151341157120336_2092233477_n.jpg

I just plugged it in a played my first note and then heard a pop from my speakers..

It started buzzing and then I realised the screen on my Axe Fx II was flickering.. I cut the power and started to smell smoke from the unit..

I bought this directly from Fractal and used a forwarding service to ship it over (this was before we had a dealer here in Singapore) and am completely at a loss as to what to do here. Haven't even used the unit that much because I was having a major exam this year.

Completely freaking out now because shipping it there and back from Singapore(if need be..) is going to cost a bomb. Starved myself in school and saved my allowance for two years just so I could pick one of these units up and it couldn't have happened at a worse time! Right before a conference and a lineup of gigs/sessions..

Already used the new support center to send in a ticket, anyone has any idea what's going on?

Attachments

• 424805_10151341157120336_2092233477_n.jpg
    424805_10151341157120336_2092233477_n.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
If there was a smell of smoke I would advise not to power it on again in case it makes it worse. Await support to help you.

Maybe open the box to see if something looks burnt or if you can localize the smell.
That might speed up support a bit.
Just 12 screws on the topplate.

@ Ole, thanks for the suggestion. I was contemplating doing that but there is a warning on the unit casing that says do not open haha. I think its best I wait for support's reply before I do anything else.

UGH!! I feel ya!

I bought my AXE the same way, through a friend in US that shipped it off to me in Hong Kong. I pray every time I turn it on.

Hope it works out and it turns out to be something simple to fix

Support turned my unit around really quick. They got it last thursday and yesterday I had an email saying it was good to go. My pain was self inflicted-I don't recommend reaching around to stick the USB connector in-and putting it in the RJ45 hole. Yeah, it fits.

Already used the new support center to send in a ticket, anyone has any idea what's going on?

I am almost 100% sure that your PSU (Power Supply Unit) has blown. You have faced exactly the same as I have a couple of months ago (as a few other Axe-Fx owners). You can change the PSU in probably less than 5 minutes and you're good to go (well hopefully). Nevertheless it has done something to my confidence regarding the device.

Sounds like you experienced the exact same thing I did.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...well-my-axe-ii-just-internally-combusted.html

Looks like you already visited that thread. Lots of great info on there, including a link to the supplier of the power supply.

I am only a few hours away from you in Singapore, and yes, the freight of the unit back to FA might end up costing more than a new PSU, so if I was you, I would just buy the new PSU from Mouser and swap it out. It is VERY easy to do, and it was an instant fix.

Best of luck!

At the risk of stirring anything up, does this re-enforce the use of a power conditioner for the AXE-FX or is this simply a case of a defective power supply in this unit?

"That reminds me Marty. There might be a slight chance of an electrical overload. So you might not want to plug the guitar in."

"That reminds me Marty. There might be a slight chance of an electrical overload. So you might not want to plug the guitar in."

Incidentally, there IS a preset I ran across that could be called the "McFly". Can't recall the actual name (not in front of my AXE). It has a buttload of edgy distortion that cuts straight off at the end (using an envelope?). Good for clearing a practice space I guess. ;)

Thanks for all the well wishes guys. I really do home I can get this resolved asap.

@sundance_kiddsg, haha never expected this to happen to me man!

@Cyberferret, thanks! yep, i was searching for similar issues and found that thread.

Support has replied and I'm told they can't diagnose the issue (well I didn't really give anything in depth so..). They've suggested that I either send it back (which financially isn't very viable..) or bring it to my local dealer (who only started carrying Fractal products recently. Should've been more patient, had I waited I would've saved over $1000 getting it from them as opposed to direct haha..)

*EDIT*

Got a reply suggesting that I can pick up a power supply from mouser.

I replied asking if there was anything I could do to help them to more accurately determine what could be wrong with my unit and noted that most similiar instances I've read on here seem to be the power supply.

Support turned my unit around really quick. They got it last thursday and yesterday I had an email saying it was good to go. My pain was self inflicted-I don't recommend reaching around to stick the USB connector in-and putting it in the RJ45 hole. Yeah, it fits.

...I might have done this accidentally...I remember trying to plug in USB and the screen tweaked out a little bit. Should I be worried? :?

Since the Axe-II's release, 99% of these kinds of problems seem to come from units shipped outside the US. Makes you wonder what the hell's happening to them in transit.

Back
Top Bottom