My Axe Fx II doesn't like my picks.

I don't get it with metal picks (sixpence as well, big Brian May fan here). But what I do get in the winter time when its dry in the house is insane amounts of pickguard static. Its horrible. But it does it with whatever I'm plugged into so it's not an AxeFXII thing for me.

Not to sound stupid, but I wonder what kind of shirts you are wearing when this happens. You'd be amazed by how much static electricity can build up from different materials.
Interesting. I wear T-shirts almost exclusively. But that's a thought. I wonder if wearing something straight out of the dryer makes a difference?

Interesting. I wear T-shirts almost exclusively. But that's a thought. I wonder if wearing something straight out of the dryer makes a difference?
I don't know, but I remember doing a science project with my kid a few years ago where we made a Leyden jar. I was amazed at how much static can be created from just rubbing some fabric over an acrylic sheet.

I'm just thinking that the static has to be coming from somewhere and I figured you would be wearing clothes most of the time. :)

Is it due to the magnetism? Copper is magnetic... maybe the string is jumping to the pick causing the pop. It may have nothing to do with ground. Can you try with wireless? It should still happen that way unless wireless dulls the high frequency making it less pronounced. Also, what happens if you touch the string away from the pickups? Does the sound lessen?

PS what type of strings do you have?

copper is indeed SLIGHTLY magnetic...AND a conductor......and I suppose that movement of it thru another magnetic field would produce small levels of current (moving a conductor thru a magnetic field = current) thru the conductor, and when contact is made with the strings. But then it would happen all the time, not just with the axe. Does it happen with any tube amps too?

Very strange. Is your guitar bridge perhaps not grounded?
This. Touch your pick to the string while you're touching the strings with your fretting hand, and see if you still get the "pop."

(Note to Matt: your handle makes it hard to quote you; the forum tries to turn it into an email address, and mungs it all up. :)

Last edited:
Not to sound stupid, but I wonder what kind of shirts you are wearing when this happens. You'd be amazed by how much static electricity can build up from different materials.
Yet another reason to always play naked. I think Flea said this was one reason he plays fully or partially nude. Maybe not.

I don't know if what you're experiencing has to do with magnetism or electrical grounding, but I just want to throw in that picks make a huge difference in sound for me in using FRFR. That's why I change picks for different sounds - Before the Axe I had just use stubbys or fender teardrop picks. I used to sharpen picks on the carpet because it helped me play but also helped bring up the clarity. Currently with the Axe FX, for both tone and control I like using V picks (the mediums for everything, and the screamers for stuff where I need more pinch harmonics). But I also use "treated" V picks using various things like fingernail hardener, epoxy, kitchen counter chip repair materials (changes the sound and makes 'em last and last). I find the treated picks can be adjusted for different sounds. Some of the picks by V-picks don't do as well for sweeping as for alternate picking, causing too much of a "chirp" sound (can't remember which one right now - maybe the one they call the "Dimension"), but when they've been given a coat of "hard as nails" this solves the issue and they feel and sound great. Some coats are applied with a brush like the fingernail products and counter chip repair, and others need to be applied using a dropper and then filed or sanded off. There are coating materials that have more bounce, and others that have more edge, including maybe what you describe if its just a kind of static-like high end. It could just be the molecules in the metal going through the molecules on the guitar string being super-isolated by the clarity of the Axe in your listening setting - whereas some cabs and noisy rooms "hide" those sorts of details. I also have a great deal of trouble if forced to use a pick I don't think is best. As for favorite picks, I like the feel of Jazz IIIs but the sound is not particularly good with my 09 strings, and they're not really thick enough in my mind for fast string shifting so I just use the V-pick mediums which sound bright and very full - there can be a noticeable chirp that might or might not be acceptable depending on your focus and needs. The interesting thing is using a pick with a full mid range and chime can make thin strings sound not so thin. But metal picks sounded dull to me and weren't very helpful for my picking technique. I would like to try copper now that I've heard of it if it doesn't sound dull. Anyway, if you have never tried treating your picks, and the problem persists, you could try it - I completely understand about not wanting to change them as right hand technique is so dependent on keeping the same kind of pick. Treating picks with coatings has helped me slightly change the EQ when a pick that is very playable doesn't sound the way I want.

Last edited:
Yeah Jesus great point, Since switching to the Axe, I much prefer my Obbligato Custom picks over any, I do own V picks and many other brands, but for the Axe the Obbligato Come out sounding really nice and since the tips are setup to spec, the accuracy and speed I can get out of them is just crazy cool.

Interesting conversation folks. Treating the picks. Hm. My history with picks is long and sordid.I might write a book about it before someone steals it and turns it into a movie. But I'm not changing picks unless I just find that magic pick or until the triangular tortoise shell comes back and is no longer illegal.

I also have a long history with picks, and learned very early on how much a difference in tone they can make. They also make a big difference in the STYLE you play, and how you play - for eg, I play pretty aggressive at times, and I normally use a stiff pick to get that across well. If I'm strumming some cowboy chords, a softer pick would be my choice.
I also used to play with some coin, but a lot of them were beveled or serrated and caused some....issues....LOL

I like the jazz III's as well....I use the stubbies tho.....for bass I use the planet waves duralin ones

What if you take two thins, cut the pick end off and glue a copper sandwiched between which would isolate the actual copper pick. This might actually work if it is ground issue.

Back
Top Bottom