My Axe Fx II doesn't like my picks.

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
I've got a problem here. I use cooper picks. It's a long story, but that's what I use and have done so for about 15 years. I really can't find anything else that works for me. Fractal doesn't like them. Particularly with the bright switch on. It pops and clicks like static. Just touching the pick to the string causes static pops. It's unbearable. I can make it more manageable by reducing the high end. Other picks seem OK. I don't get it.

Perhaps you have a noisy preset (too much gain for example) and when you touch the pick to the strings it releases the noise gate letting some crackle/noise through? I am going to try my unused crappy picks and see if I can replicate this. Can you send a sample patch?

Thanks! What do you mean unused CRAPPY picks?? LOL. These aren't crappy BTW. :) The patch is a clean, no hi gain. No gate. I found that the cabs were bypassed. When I made them active the popping was reduced, but not zero.

hahaha i meant MY crappy picks. I don't have any cooper picks! Gotta love the internet misunderstandings. Seriously, send the patch when you can because then someone can test it and maybe help you.

hahaha i meant MY crappy picks. I don't have any cooper picks! Gotta love the internet misunderstandings. Seriously, send the patch when you can because then someone can test it and maybe help you.
It's not preset dependent. I've noticed it before and tried to ignore it. Other times it's not there. My power conditioners are at the studio. That sounds right.

No patchy no helpy hahaha. I do not experience that issue as I just tried different picks on my patches and stock patches.

My AxeFx II is really picky about guitar wiring and the front input (haven't checked the rear input).

My custom shop Les Paul as zero problems with my other rigs but I can get ground hum from it when I'm tracking with the AxeFx II.

I asked about this before and the consensus was to open the guitar and see if the bridge ground was faulty and/or beef up the bridge ground.

I haven't done that yet though.

The symptom for me is my LP with bucks acts like my Strat... turn in the room until the hum stops :) If you get what I mean.

Richard

My Red Bear pick doesn't work well with the Axe either. I read another thread talking about pick noise. Thought it was strange. I get it now. Back to Fenders-no issue.

The copper is conductive. You are having a ground issue. Try taking your fretting hand and touch a known grounded item such as a screw on your light switch. (you may need to scrape the paint off of the screw head as the paint could kill the ground quality) With the other hand lightly tap your copper pick to the strings, like tap tap tap tap. The static pop should now stop if it is a ground issue. Once you verify that this is a ground issue, come back and we can discuss ways to ground yourself. Or, use a pick that follows the logical ground path. IMHO you are being overly stubborn and should find another pick. Although there re ways to ground yourself if you insist (which is your right and prerogative).
So do this test please in check back in with result.
PEACE

Last edited:
Didn't the user Nikki find some issues in the pick attack of the Axe? I know there is a thread around here somewhere, I wonder if it's the same issue, just showing it self more clearly when using certain picks?

Didn't the user Nikki find some issues in the pick attack of the Axe? I know there is a thread around here somewhere, I wonder if it's the same issue, just showing it self more clearly when using certain picks?
Has nothing to do with this. This is an electrical issue.

I dont think he's being stubborn at all but I am surprised he hasn't run into this issue before.

Last edited:
I have noticed that the ax is so hi def compared to my other rigs that pick attack is more pronounced.
you could try a wireless to see if its an electical issue somewhat?

I used to use copper picks... loved the feel of them...
but eventually gave them up cos the noise they make and ended up switching to 3.0mm stubbies..

I'm wondering if the 'poppiness' of the sound could be related to noise gate settings..
purely in the interests of science... maybe try turning off the gate [on the input of the grid]..
if that works, then you'll know it's gate related rather than anything else....
from there on you could play with gate settings and try to dial out these 'pops'

Back
Top Bottom