My Axe FX II and MOTU 8Pre USB don't play nicely together

Orvillain

Power User
So I run a Hackintosh machine here at home, running OSX Mavericks 10.9.2, with a MOTU 8Pre, Logic X, Pro Tools 11, Studio One 2.0, Cubase 7.5 and a wide variety of plugins and what not. I've generally been plugging my Axe into the combi inputs on the MOTU and recording the audio.

Last week I installed the Axe's OSX USB driver, and my MOTU 8Pre started losing its connection with the machine and would default to 'converter' mode. Trying to change the system preferences audio device would result in a hang, as would launching my hosts, and the only way I could get anything to work was to turn off the MOTU altogether. Now I suppose this would be fine, except it started doing it even when the Axe FX was not plugged in via USB - ie.. installing the OSX driver seemed to have corrupted my MOTU driver, or somehow screwed up my Coreaudio performance.

I ended up re-installing my Hackintosh from the ground up, and it's all working well. I took a disk image, again installed Axe Edit, the USB driver, and Fractal Bot... and again, sluggishness ensued and my MOTU would lose its connection.

So I reverted back to my image, and have not installed the Axe's USB driver or Axe Edit. Switching over to the Axe for my audio interface entirely is not an option, and the MOTU just needs to work. Suffice to say... I'm a bit puzzled.

The OSX console would report lines like this:

10/05/2014 11:53:00.000 kernel[0] USBF: 132.359 Endpoint 0x85 of the USB device "8Pre " at location 0x1a120000: converting Bulk MPS from 4 to 512 (USB 2.0 Spec section 5.8.3)

And this:
deny iokit-open com_motu_driver_FWA_User

I know a bit about the inner workings of OSX and kext's and all that jazz, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why this was happening. At the moment - I cannot use Axe Edit or my Axe FX II with my production PC. I do have the option of using it with my laptop, but I'd prefer to use it with my beast-rig rather than the little web-browser laptop I've got ;)

Anyone got any thoughts on what is causing this??

Back
Top Bottom