My Axe-Fx experiences so far.

Clockwork Creep

Power User
Hi there.

I am not a very rich man, so I've never had experience with high quality tube amps. before buying an Axe FX, during band rehearsals and gigs, I was playing through a solid state laney 60w combo amp that belonged to the drummer. We played a bunch of gigs in tiny bars full of drunk metalheads. Fun stuff. Was not happy with the tone, but it was loud enough to compete with drums.

At home, I was fairly happy with the tones I've gotten out of my cheap audio interface and VST amp sims. I also had a 15w practice amp, but it's garbage. The only downside- the ~15ms latency. However, I was so used to the latency so that didn't really bother me.

Anyway, I was always drooling over expensive tube amps. And later, when I found out about it - The axe fx. I think I found out about it from Ola Eglund videos, but I don't quite remember.

My logic went as follows: It has many advantages over real tube amps: Lighter, less maintenance, no mic'ing, more consistent, extremely versatile, all in one solution, and I get to enjoy it at low volumes at home. I did use a VST amp sim once live in a high end pub with a good sound guy and that went great. So, the axe fx just seemed like a no brainer.

I was completely fan boying over it for a long time. I thought it's a magical device that's gonna instantly make me sound huge. But the price of one of those seemed unreachable.

In one lucky summer, for a brief time (~4 months) I had a very well paying job.

The large burst of income was a very temporary thing and I've spent most of it on audio and computer gear. The biggest purchase - The Axe FX 2 XL. Firmware 15, i think it was.

I was searching for the cheapest way to obtain the unit and I've got it at Ebay for the best price I could. Getting one in Europe was not easy.

TRYING THE AXE AT HOME:

I didn't have studio monitors at the time. When I first hooked the Axe up, and listened to it through my monitor headphones (I was using those forever for all my audio mixing stuff), I noticed right away, that the Axe sounded more open and clear and without latency, but also - a bit weird, because it was so unlike anything I was used to and still... it sounded like me, not that "huge and pro" thing I was expecting. At that point I understood that there is no such thing as a "Magic device that is going to instantly make me sound huge" and it's just a tool and everything depends on how I use it. I will not sound like Mark Morton mixed in an expensive studio, just because I bought an expensive tool...

I remember I've spent hours trying to get a metal tone I liked, but I was simply never happy for the first few months. I couldn't get my high gain tones work in the mix... My first attempts were actually worse than what I've got from my previously used VST amp sims. I simply knew everything about them, including all their quirks, unlike the axe fx...
Also, I really didn't (and still don't) like that recording the axe Is far harder than recording with VST amp sims, as I can't just tweak the amp tone while the full track is playing. Huge disadvantage.

Since I never had experience with real tube amps, I had no idea how real tube amps are supposed to be dialed in. For example - I was under the impression that the master volume had to be, like, 8-9, because I've heard that real amps only start to sound good cranked up. I had no idea how much "Cranked up" is, and I thought "The more - the better".

There were so many buttons and tweaks for the amp block and the Cab block and I had no idea how everything relates to each other and I was tweaking EVERYTHING... Often, I thought I was improving something, but I was simply just moving away from the natural tone of an amp into something alien...

So, to put it shortly: I was really struggling with it at first.

Another huge mistake: I just don't mind playing with old strings, unless i am recording something important or gigging. I'm cheap, I know.
With previous amp sims, the high gain tone differences werent as clear, whether it's old strings or new. The first time I said "Holy smokes, Axe sounds kind of awesome now" is when I changed my strings.

So, at first I was confused and kind of disappointed with the Axe FX, to say the least, but since I've paid a hell lot for it and I've heard plenty of demos that sounded awesome, and people were constantly praising the axe, I knew that it was user error and I kept trying. I've watched many "How to record guitar" tutorials on youtube and they helped a lot.

MY FIRST REHEARSALS:

Having the Axe FX, and no money left for quality gear to amplify it is a PAIN.

At first, when rehearsing, everyone was wearing headphones. And it was very not satisfying. Especially, since we did not have decent in-ears at the time.
Later, I was amplifying it through the Laney solid state amp. The sound was garbage.

The drummer pretty much thought I was an idiot for spending so much for something that sounded so bad and was unusable for rehearsing normally or gigging on the small stages we've gigged on so far.

"You should have bought an amp and a cab for that money, dummy". I had these thoughts reach me too, but I still had faith in my gear.

The drummer left, because he didn't agree with the vision I had for the band (Digital gear, backing tracks, in-ear monitors with metronomes). It's just not "tr00". The bassist was and still is on my side.

We found a new drummer who shares that vision and we work great together.

FIRST GIGS:

The first time gigging with the Axe FX didn't go too well. The new composition of the band didn't practice much (we found that drummer way too late!) before it, and we didn't yet have time to prepare any backing tracks and clicktracks at that time. We've rushed into that stage just to see what happens, because we had an opportunity. We had a few songs, but we played terribly.

While the guitar tone I've set up sounded ok at home, on stage - that's another thing. You change the way you monitor - you change the sound, obviously.

I was only hearing the guitar through the monitors and I knew already that something is wrong. There were no lows. I asked the sound-guy why is that, and he said that my lows are overpowering and it sounds ok from the audience perspective. I trusted him... I had no idea how it sounded from the audience perspective. Apparently, he high passed the audio for the audience and the monitors simultaniously. It was very underwhelming and uninstpiring to listen to myself play though these monitors and the thought "I should have bought an amp and a cab" has reached me again... the sound was so tiny.

Later, some friends from the audience told me that my guitar tone was kind of crap in comparison to those laneys on that stage, used by other bands.

I'd say it was mostly the sound-guys fault. This is the first time he saw a device like Axe FX and it seems he couldn't handle it, maybe?...

Another time I brought the Axe on stage was for a random musician improvisation jam thing.

This was also the first time for the sound guy do deal with an axe fx.

However, while the sound from the PA was nice, the monitors were freakin garbage and the sound guy couldn't make the guitar audible for everyone on stage. It simply couldn't compete with the real amps on the stage at all.

A month later, the musician jam event happened again. I brought the axe again. This time I prepared it to work with my midi pedalboard. Just effects. I was going to connect the axe to an input of a guitar amp. Because of a faulty MIDI cable, the pedalboard didn't communicate with the axe.... So the axe remained unused....

To put it shortly - at first, having an axe FX for live gigs was a terrible experience, merely because of luck and a lack of a proper way to amplify it.

AFTER SOME TIME:

After a lot of practice with setting up the axe and firmware updates, I am now very satisfied with the tones axe let's me achieve and I think it sounds leagues ahead of anything else I ever used.
Especially now with Ares firmware.

It's been years, and my band is nailing it now. All of our tracks are set up with clicktracks and I really love how my backing track device can change my FX automatically and I need no pedalboard. Not something that can be easily done with real amps and stompboxes.

I now have a GT1000FX and a Zilla cab.
So, for those smaller pubs, this works great.
And If it's a bigger stage, I just bring my axe and that's it. I haven't had a problem in live gigs ever since.

This is the only thing left that bothers me about the axe fx - The cost of getting a minimal stage ready setup for smaller pubs. While it's true that buying An Axe FX is cheaper than buying a hundred amps the Axe Simulates***, a small Laney combo amp is infinitely better than an Axe FX with no way to amplify it. And that amp and cab already cost as much as a GOOD combo amp.

The advantages I've listed before - Lighter, less maintenance, no mic'ing, more consistent, extremely versatile, all in one solution, and I get to enjoy it at low volumes at home. Some of them turned out not to be true. It's definitely not lighter, as it is in a rack case with a power amp. And it's not an all in one solution, as I still need my amp and cab, and sometimes - my pedalboard. And it's not easy at all. Setting it up for a live gig with my band (Headphone monitors, real cab, backing tracks, explaining everything to the sound guy, etc) is way more complicated than just plugging in a combo amp and playing...

*** It's not like I NEED hundreds of amp sims for the band, I only need one. Though, I like how I can just change my mind of which one it is, without buying anything.

I really like my Axe FX setup right now.
However, I might do some changes in the future to further simplify everything.
For example, building the GT1000FX right into the Cab, and maybe getting an AX8 (if it gets ares) or the Axe FX 3 equivalent, and build a pedalboard, just to avoid various connections and weighty stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post man.

There is no 1 great for everything solution. I think the axe fx is a great price of gear , that said I kept my dual recto and cab when I bought it. At the moment I have gone back to the tube amp set up for live stuff. Why ? I love the options with switching and scenes with fractal , I honestly think with matrix amp and my cab the axe fx is 90% there sound wise compared like for like tones.

at the moment with the axe fx vs tube rig the thing I am actually enjoying the limitations of the amp. There is a certain freedom from having to say "this is my tone " and working in that and just playing better rather than tweaking. I know in 2 weeks I'll probably change my mind and be back to the axe fx live. Luckily I can afford to own and bounce between both.

When your just doing average , amateur muso , gigs trusting the sound guy with your tone Straight to mixer is a pretty big gamble. I personally wouldn't do it Cause I know many sound guys I have worked with arnt up to it.

Last edited:
Interesting post! I have to admit that I couldn't get some of your problems and it made me think about it.
I think the key point here is the experience with tube amps or amps in general. I owned two tube amps and some solid state ones before them. So I knew how it worked. I switched from the mesa mark V to the axe because I could go beyond of what the mark could offer me. All the hassle with switching tones and making my rig midi compatible...you can be happy that you never had to deal with that and all the things you had to carry :D I had some situations where the rig did't work 20 minutes before the gig. I am so happy that I never have to deal with searching for the broken cable from the 20-30 I had in my previous rig and to handle all the noise and stuff...
Now my sounds are better with less maintenance, I can play at home and even record with awesome sound quality :) By the way, I am sure that you can tweak while playing the mix when you record the di and reamp the stuff. It is quite easy if I remember right.
When you tweak your sound try to find something like a pair of other headphones or even better another pair of monitors. I have some cheap monitors and my presets sounded awesome on many different PA's :) Only got some positive feedback. A good Idea would be to ask the community about your presets and I think you'll get some nice feedback you can work with.
Are you going direct to the pa when you play live? I go direct to FOH and have the matrix for a cab I have on stage to hear/feel myself better.

When your just doing average , amateur muso , gigs trusting the sound guy with your tone Straight to mixer is a pretty big gamble. I personally wouldn't do it Cause I know many sound guys I have worked with arnt up to it.
I kind of starting to agree with Glenn Flicker on the issues and the price the Axe has.
You know, that spectresoundstudio guy...
It takes a high class stage, with a good sound guy, to get the benefits of going just direct with the axe fx. In small underground pub stages, where the sound guy is just some random dude that knows nothing about anything, won't do... :D
If you have your own monitor (cab or FRFR or whatever you like), then it's ok... I hope.
I think it would be cool if Fractal released a powered Axe FX version, which is cheaper than buying an Axe FX and a power amp separately.
Maybe the power amp could also somehow interpret the connected cab to adjust the "Speaker page" as far as it can... But I don't know how that works...

never have to deal with searching for the broken cable from the 20-30 I had in my previous rig
I am glad that the Axe is an All-in-one unit. I am not even considering getting a pedalboard or any extra guitar rack units...
No wire galore. Less trouble with that.

A good Idea would be to ask the community about your presets and I think you'll get some nice feedback you can work with.
Here's my last recording:

Are you going direct to the pa when you play live?
So far, I had no other choice, but to go direct to PA and monitor through whatever the stage has as monitors.
I am savin up for a Matrix and a Guitar Cab for the best on-stage experience.. Though, I can still connect direct to PA simultaniously.

I laughed at your comment about cranking the master on everything, because that was similar to my situation, and I still cant get over the irony that I had a nice JCM800 for like 12 years that I didn't know how to use (kept the master on 2 and adjusted channel volumes because I thought all the volume knobs did the same thing). And then once I got the axe-fx I began to learn ridiculously detailed things about amps which to this day, many of them I don't even know what they look like!

bad setting bad sound
garbage in garbage out
no fanboysm here (I'm not a boy)... simply statistics: with so many live users and so many stellar artists using the Axe... you have some setting prob for sure!!

You can record a reamp track, and the fully affected Axe FX outputs simultaneously via USB connection.

If you are using a Mac, you can set up an "Aggregate Device". Read about it on Google. When you properly set up an Aggregate Device, you can listen to your whole mix, but send your reamp track through the Axe FX, so you can tweak the Axe FX with Axe Edit, and listen to how it sounds with the entire mix happening.

If you do not set up an aggregate device, and you stipulate the Axe FX as your sound card, your entire mix - will go through the axe fx - drums, vocals, everything. Which is not what you want.

Set up an Aggregate Device.

I agree with every comment here. And my final analysis is a positive one. So I wanted to share my first hands on experience.
I've owned 50 plus tube amps in my lifetime. I just retired a Mesa Triaxis, 2:90, Gmajor 2 rig, that I've used for years, and got my Axe FX II XL Plus about a week ago. I read if you were coming from using tube rigs for a long time, it was better to keep some similar gear. So I hooked my AXE up to my 2:90 and 4-12 Mesa oversized A/B cab with Celestion G12M-65 Creambacks in it. I wasn't too intimidated, because of my computer/electronics background. And let's face it, it is just a computer.

The first thing I did was sample all the presets. I wasn't too impressed, but I expected that from what I read on the Fractal forums. So I decided to take some good advice from many longtime AXE users and keep it simple and start from scratch. I had 10 Triaxis presets that I used on a regular basis, mainly because of pitch harmony settings, WAH, and pickup settings. My presets consist of clean, Piezo, crunch, distortion, some with delay, WAH, some with humbucker bridge and some with single coil neck, octave for 12 string sound and harmony settings.

I started with the first clean basic preset and nailed it in about 15 minutes. From reading advice I picked a familiar amp and started to build from there. Then I added my effects, WAH, midi settings, gate, etc., constantly going to the forums to answer all my questions. After about 5 to 6 hours, of learning and building, I completed all 10 presets, and added and tweaked effects, etc.. I just balance the volume on all of them (something that is not easy on a Triaxis). I created a perfect WAH, better than my Cry Baby and any other WAH I have ever owned. I have a Piezo 12 string preset that sounds like I'm playing a Byrds song with a Ricky 360/12. I was able to re-create my 10 favorite presets and make them sound better. I was worried about the whole tube solid state argument. I'm a tube man forever. You were not going to convince me this thing was going to replace my tubes. My cleans were full and warm but my distortions were lacking. then I discovered the tube pre amp. So I put it in front of the amp, turned the gain down a little on the pre section of the amp and up on the tube pre amp. I realized brittle and piercing sounds, on all my presets, were coming from the bright setting. So I immediately lowered it to -4 or 5. Brittle was gone and everything sounded more fluid. I also discovered (right or wrong), the noise gate worked best, for me, after the power amp and before all the effects. My final result was (for my setup), a tube saturated, flowing, incredible sustain tone.

So I am now convinced it is possible to really match tube tone. I also feel the AXE is way more forgiving than my Triaxis. It is way easier to EQ, because the Triaxis tone knobs work together. What I did was leave the amp's bass, mid and treble settings alone and used the EQ setting for the amp to clean up the tone, remove highs and boom. Each preset only has what I need. If I'm not using a flanger, there isn't one installed. IMHO If it is anything like a computer, the less processor used, the better.

I feel the best advice that was given to me, don't over-think and stick to basics, works best. There's plenty of time to experiment and get more creative. Granted I am going through a Mesa 2:90 amp and a 4 12 cab. So my settings are a lot different. But I've heard many users here achieve great results with many different setups. I just decided to stick with what I was used to. And for me it works.

I already have a matrix amp, btw.
I was very impressed when I tried it out, but, Funnily enough, I burned it in two rehearsals by using a bad connection between the amp and a cab. I should have researched this better!
It's already fixed, and should be home in a day or so. I also have a quality speaker cable now...
I do not yet have a quality cab for the axe, but if a pub has a cab I can use, I'm set!
My next gig is April 16th, and we'll see how that goes. So far, my gigs with the axe didn't go well because of no good amplification for the axe, but I am confident that this gig is going to work out great. If anyone films us at that show, I'll share it here.

I already have a matrix amp, btw.
I was very impressed when I tried it out, but, Funnily enough, I burned it in two rehearsals by using a bad connection between the amp and a cab. I should have researched this better!
It's already fixed, and should be home in a day or so. I also have a quality speaker cable now...
I do not yet have a quality cab for the axe, but if a pub has a cab I can use, I'm set!
My next gig is April 16th, and we'll see how that goes. So far, my gigs with the axe didn't go well because of no good amplification for the axe, but I am confident that this gig is going to work out great. If anyone films us at that show, I'll share it here.
One step closer :)

It takes a high class stage, with a good sound guy, to get the benefits of going just direct with the axe fx. In small underground pub stages, where the sound guy is just some random dude that knows nothing about anything, won't do... :D

I must say I've found the opposite. I get awesome sound wherever I play, mostly small pubs! But I am a sound engineer myself and have to tell them how to do it! Basically, the axe seems more suited for those with sound engineering experience, its an incredibly in-depth piece of equipment.

Rough start there. I started with studio monitors at home, and an open back tweed 2x12" guitar cab + Behringer power amp for band use. At first, the clean and Voxy tones were absolutely brilliant thru the 2x12" (surprise?), but high gain tones were reeeeally awful. I quickly got a CLR to enjoy the Axe better. It's a "hifi" setup on stage, it's not going to give you crazy wall of sound experience, but you do know what you're playing and how the tones are. Thru PA, I get super awesome tone every time, but we have a decent PA and our own sound guy. The first time playing loud in a sound check thru a big PA with the Axe was like "OMG I'M A ROCK GOD!", with instant urge for AC/DC riffs.

Recently I got a Marshall power amp and a 4x12" with greenbacks, and now I have the best of all worlds. That whole setup is way too big to take to gigs though. :D In theory, I could add 1x12" and use the guitar cabs through the stereo power amp, and choose which cab to use for each preset... ;)

Meanwhile, at home the Axe has boosted my playing time by 2000%. Studio monitors of headphones (get good ones), perfect with any volume.

Recently I got a Marshall power amp and a 4x12" with greenbacks, and now I have the best of all worlds. That whole setup is way too big to take to gigs though. :D In theory, I could add 1x12" and use the guitar cabs through the stereo power amp, and choose which cab to use for each preset... ;)
For live situations, I feel we are only as good as our weakest link. It can be a person, effect, amp, cab, pa, etc. And I am a nut about tone and sound quality. (years of studio and live sound applications)
With that said, why are so many musicians always trying to downsize and bring less to their gigs. I'm always hearing "they don't pay me enough" or "I'm not lugging that" or "I want something that just fits in my car". A drummer brings a little trap set, guitar player through a 1 12 cab with crap power, bass player gets a little bass rig, etc. If the PA is not concert quality, you're all the weakest link and you just shot yourself in the foot. Sound fatigue is a real phenomenon. Patrons go to a club or concert. They sit there for a while and decide to leave. Even if the music selection is good, something makes them leave. This is why so much effort goes into a rock concert. This same quality should go into our rigs, so we become the weakest link. After all we bought an AXE!
Last week I went to see a local band. Great musicians, but the guitar sounded like a buzz saw with no tone, the bass had so much treble and no bottom, he may as well have stayed home. The drummer had dead cymbals and totally untuned drums. The PA was a couple of 12" speakers on sticks with a powered mixer. We lasted 4 songs and left. A good band will not sound good using poor quality gear. And if the whole band is mic'd through a 500 watt PA system, it will really get interesting.
So if we took the plunge and purchased the very expensive AXE FX, shouldn't we compliment it with equal quality. I know each application is different. So for headphones, buy quality. For studio, use quality monitors, for live, unless you have a killer sound engineer every time, use your own amp and a quality cab that will push some air and mic it with a quality mic, (I always use a Sennheiser E609). There is a reason why a 4 12 cab will sound better than a 1 12 cab. Closed back sounds different than open back and is a matter of taste, (I prefer closed).
For live, going direct to the board is fine, as long as you are taking part in your mix and/or you have the same sound engineer every time. Otherwise bring a good power amp and cab and mic it up. You'll enjoy your own sound more, you'll play better because of it, and the crowd will hear a better sounding guitar player. The AXE is great, the rest should be too.
Just my 2 cents. End of rant...

Im struggling with a good sounds on my Axe Fx... The cleans are good but the distortion it’s not good... Any tip? Ive got an Axe Fx 2 xl plus and a matrix gt1000fx 1u... and a real cab Orange PPC410. Anyone have opinion?
Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom