My Ax8 froze mid-gig

I believe his point was that any gear can fail and that a backup is never a bad idea. He didn't claim the backup has anything to do with the unit locking up. In fact it has nothing to do with that at all! The same way a spare tire has nothing to do with a flat tire, expect for the fact that it solves the immediate issue.
That was not even my point. Someone is trying to troubleshoot a problem and then someone wades in talking about backups. It has nothing to do with trying to work out what the problem is. Now do you comprehend?

To those who have experienced a lock up, are you using an external midi device?

I can get my AX8 to freeze consistently (reproducibly) by quickly sending random values on CC #34 (while it is assigned to the default of Scene Select). I discovered this when drawing CC envelopes in Ableton Live. I did not try other CCs. Not good though, please fix.

I have witnessed the following behavior: the AX8 is rendered unresponsive upon receiving MIDI clock when utilizing either an H9 (set to transmit MIDI clock at its output) or a MIDI Solutions footswitch controller (in tap tempo mode) as transmitting devices.

My AX8 initially froze during start up again last night (blank screen). I was connected to AX8-Edit. Restarted, and it was fine.

This is like reading a forum thread where somebody says "my car steering locked up, and I drove into a tree" ... then somebody offers "I have the same car, and that never happened to me!"

Well THANKS for the info, that really helps.

That made my day!

This is like reading a forum thread where somebody says "my car steering locked up, and I drove into a tree" ... then somebody offers "I have the same car, and that never happened to me!"

Threads like this make having to wait for my turn to Purchase a little bit easier. It's going to be a better product when I get it then when it first came out.

That was not even my point. Someone is trying to troubleshoot a problem and then someone wades in talking about backups. It has nothing to do with trying to work out what the problem is. Now do you comprehend?

LOLOL. I had the same thing with Nimbus in another thread. :)

Gotta love the interwebs. At least it's not just me who has that reaction...

It does help, because it shows that it isn't the expected behavior.

Most people who post an issue like this also include "does your unit do this to?" So the answer of "no my unit does not ______" answers that question.

When there is a problem, many people assume that everyone also had that same problem and solved it. Having people say they didn't experience the issue is just another set of data that can be used for troubleshooting.

Well I started AX8-Edit and turned my AX8 on a second later. The unit hung in boot up. It did not even get to POST - no testing of leds etc. I power cycled the unit 5 times with no effect - waiting for up to 20 seconds on some of them. Same thing each time. It would hang before going through POST. I tried with the USB cable disconnected and reconnected but not joy. I also noticed that Ax8-Edit had also after getting timeout errors (due to the unit not booting). I was able to quit Ax8-Edit after removing the usb cable.

After the unit was powered off and Ax8-Edit was shut down, I started the AX8 and let it fully start. Next I started Ax8-Edit. now that connection was possible, both the software and the hardware played ball nicely.

Whilst this is a bit of a pain, I think it is really due to something not playing well when powering on whilst connected to usb /ax8-edit. I haven't seen any issues when the unit is not connected via USB.

Last edited:
Most software that relates directly to hardware expects the hardware to be there when started. Some programs react well to that and some don't. Maybe AX8 is one of those that don't.
In any case powering up the hardware before the software is usually the way to go in this and other cases.

Back
Top Bottom