My Ax8 froze mid-gig

cataclysm

Inspired
Second show on tour with the Ax8 and the unit froze just after a preset change MID SONG. It showed up the preset name on the screen and all IA displayed and LEDs were lit correctly but all buttons froze. The sound coming out also was just a complete bypass signal. I had to restart the unit which wasn't ideal mid song.

Anyone else had this happen???

Second show on tour with the Ax8 and the unit froze just after a preset change MID SONG. It showed up the preset name on the screen and all IA displayed and LEDs were lit correctly but all buttons froze. The sound coming out also was just a complete bypass signal. I had to restart the unit which wasn't ideal mid song.

That's not cool... I've not had a freeze. But I have had chirpy, farty sounds during preset changes which is very not cool either... one last night was REALLY loud in my in ear monitors. Ow.

Could have been a power issue at venue perhaps.

I have had my AX-8 freeze during startup. It's happened a few times so far. Hopefully it doesn't happen at a gig.

I have had my AX-8 freeze during startup. It's happened a few times so far. Hopefully it doesn't happen at a gig.
You know - I have had the same thing happen several times. I was talking with service and I'm considering sending mine to them to get checked out. According to them, this is not a behavior that should be happening.

I have been using mine nearly every day since I received it back in December. I have never had a lock up.

How much CPU is your preset using? Is it possible that the preset is too close to the usable limit and switching to it caused the unit to lock up on it?

I have had an issue twice at our church with mine not starting properly. Restarting solved the problem.

Makes me more serious about bringing proper power conditioning to each and every gig. The portability trade-off is worth it for the added security.

Bad things occur. Never had a freeze on either the Fx II or the Ax8. Haven't had weird noise issues either except one gig with the Fx II where i had some strange pitchy noise. Guess i was on same power group as the dishwasher or something.
Often I do think that I need a spare setup if something breaks down on a gig many miles from home, what should it be then? A Pod or some kind of cheap Boss board?

That sucks but if I played professionally I'd have a backup running on a switch just in case - I don't care what the unit is. Maybe I'm just paranoid but the idea of something going out that I couldn't replace mid gig would scare the heck out of me.

What if you had powered it off and then back on and it didn't come back on? What then?

Course, if you lose power even a backup won't help. Guess you just cover yourself as best you can.

I've had lock up once or twice on startup and one whilst using the tuner. I tuned my guitar but was unable to exit tuning mode. Power cycle fixed the issue. If that had been at a gig, I would have been not happy Jan! Mostly it has been fine.

Edit : My device is 1 week old and latest firmware

Last edited:
That sucks but if I played professionally I'd have a backup running on a switch just in case - I don't care what the unit is. Maybe I'm just paranoid but the idea of something going out that I couldn't replace mid gig would scare the heck out of me.

What if you had powered it off and then back on and it didn't come back on? What then?

Course, if you lose power even a backup won't help. Guess you just cover yourself as best you can.
Having a backup has nothing to do with the problem of a unit locking up.

Having a backup has nothing to do with the problem of a unit locking up.
I believe his point was that any gear can fail and that a backup is never a bad idea. He didn't claim the backup has anything to do with the unit locking up. In fact it has nothing to do with that at all! The same way a spare tire has nothing to do with a flat tire, expect for the fact that it solves the immediate issue.

I'd be a little surprised if power was the culprit. One time I was setting up my AxeII at an outdoor gig where we were playing on generator power. I booted my AxeFx fine. Then I tried my FCB1010, which locked up. I brought out my spare FCB1010, and it locked up too. Freaking out a bit, I went to my last ditch spare, a PODxt, and that wouldn't boot either, it froze. Sound guy checks the generator and finds the output voltage is set WAY low (can't remember what, maybe 100V or so). Couldn't believe the Axe booted fine, when even my floorboards couldn't handle it. Not sure if the AX8 would have handled it, but the AxeII sure did.

To those who have experienced a lock up, are you using an external midi device?

Back
Top Bottom