My AFD Slash Preset

A to the T

Experienced
Well, I generally wouldn't play any GnR these days but I thought, hey, with all the hype over the AFD Marshall I should really try it out.

So I made an Ultrares Cab preset created using the new AFD Marshall that was added in v15.03.
Cab1 is OH_412_MAR-CB_V30-CH_Studio-Modern
Cab2 is OH_412_MAR-CB_M-SB-75_Studio Modern

The Reverb setting is the Medium Hall setting that I believe Mike Clink may have used on Sweet Child. I took the parameters from the manual of the Roland SRV-2000 which was used on the original GnR recording.
Kick in Delay 1 for the intro to jungle. I'm not 100% sure on the settings but I think its fairly close. The original effect was created using a built-in hidden preset in the SRV-2000 apparently. I interpreted it as dual mono delays. Also to note, I tone matched the Sweet Child main riff so you should only really enable it when playing that piece. The T-Match block really kills the Ultrares Cab. Sounds so much better playing without it.

Preset is here : Ultrares Slash 15.03

Last edited:
The Ultrares Marshall ones that come with firmware 15. check inside the preset I posted. Replying from my phone.

Hey, A to the T, your preset just shows the user cab preset numbers you used, but doesn't include the cabs. Since I didnt upload cabs to those user slots, on my Axe Edit it just shows them both as Empty.

The WTTJ lick (when the real lick/tempo begins) doesn't have much delay. It's all 16th notes actually played on guitar.

Your tabbed rendition definitely works fine.

But like I said, I generally don't play GnR these days but I felt compelled to the challenge and dissect it now.

When I listen, I hear triplets... (maybe that's just me but if you include the picked and delayed notes I hear eighth note triplets.)
You can hear the picking plain as day, especially when you slow it right down and you can tell its a delay when you hear it trail off.

Here you can listen to it slowed down

How I break down the beginning:

The very first B he picks almost sound like he's sliding up a little from the A# (3rd fret) down stroke then open b string upstroke and back to the A# down stroke (3 notes picked in bar one and bar 2. The rest are delays/echos).
Then for the rest of the intro lick the picking for it is an eight note, then a 16th. You can also here him slide up to that A# when at the beginning of the 3rd bar

I just tabbed out my version as if you were to play it using delay and you can play it back in Guitar Pro for reference: Guitar Pro File View attachment Welcome to the jungle intro proper.zip The second stave below the guitar identifies the echo'd notes (best I could do)

WTTJ Intro tab.jpg

Last edited:
There is more delay at the start where he plays those B notes and pauses. I think if you consider how even in volume the notes on the original are when the actual descending lick starts, you'll see the problem with trying to make the second fretted B, A, F# etc. happen with delay. There would be a loud open B delay repeat after those, e.g. B repeat with your first played A note, A with your F#, etc. and it just doesn't sound that messy on the album. Also see this or any other live vid:

Welcome To The Jungle - Live In Chicago - YouTube

I'm not talking live. I'm talking album version. You can clearly hear the delayed notes bleed into the picking as soon has he hits bar 4 around the 11 or 12 second mark of the slowed down clip above. I will rework my preset tomorrow just to get this delay thing sorted. I'm thinking I'll change it to a mono delay with triplets and 104bpm tempo and see what happens.... Not sure why I care so much or am even wasting my time on this but i guess I'm just in to deep now... lol.

I'm not talking live. I'm talking album version. You can clearly hear the delayed notes bleed into the picking as soon has he hits bar 4 around the 11 or 12 second mark of the slowed down clip above. I will rework my preset tomorrow just to get this delay thing sorted. I'm thinking I'll change it to a mono delay with triplets and 104bpm tempo and see what happens.... Not sure why I care so much or am even wasting my time on this but i guess I'm just in to deep now... lol.

If a live version sounds closer to the album than having delay create some of the notes, isn't that worth considering as a clue of how it was done? I think what you're referring to around 0:12 of that clip is a slight error/ad-lib moment where he played a B again instead of moving to A.

junglelick.png

in that video, slash says they used outboard gear for the delay. they probably added it after the guitar track was recorded. so he probably played all the 16th notes on the guitar, then they added delay as desired.

they turned the delay up for the first part (hitting the B note 2x), then when the actual riff starts, they probably turned it off or reduced it a lot.

there's no way a delay makes all those notes happen; why else would slash play all the notes live if he could make a delay play some of the notes?

Its nice that even in the year 2014, and with all the advances of modern science, there are still some mysteries left in life lol

I imagine in 50 years WTTJ will still be a classic track and people will still be discussing how to cop it

Its nice that even in the year 2014, and with all the advances of modern science, there are still some mysteries left in life lol
I imagine in 50 years WTTJ will still be a classic track and people will still be discussing how to cop it

well said :)

Sorry old thread but I found an old video of him playing live at the Ritz and he definitely pics it all as per Bakerman's previous comments. I even tabbed out the exact finger he used FWIW. lol
wttj.JPG

Back
Top Bottom