My 4x12 NF IR's for AXF-II and Std/Ultra

Stratoblaster

Fractal Fanatic
I've been playing with the IR side of things lately and thought I'd use the II's IR utility to take some IR's of my 1982 Marshall 4x12 with Celestion G12-65's, get familiar with the process and play around a bit. The cabinet has a measured resonance of 115Hz.

Using the only mic I had on hand (a Sennheiser e935 vocal mic) and a 1987x sim, I dialed up a tone with the II and the 4x12 (no cab sim) and moved the cab into another room. My goal was to just get four satisfactory tones using the e935; a bassy, punchy one, a middy one, a bright one, and a balanced one. I wanted to cover a wide range since IR's react differently depending on the amp sim, etc.

I just played thru the cab and moved the mic around till I found something I liked then took an IR. These are the ones I liked best after exploring positions and some trial and error.

I included ones for the Axe-FX Standard and Ultra, but cannot test them since I don't have either of those, just a II. They were straight convertions from the II with LMO's AxeOMatic utility so I think they'll work fine.

Also, I evaluated the IR's at gig levels, so they'll sound very different at lower/recording levels...

I'd be interested in anybody's thoughts on them...

Attachments

• g12-65-e935-balanced-II.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 37
  • g12-65-e935-balanced-std-ultra.syx
    8 KB · Views: 35
  • g12-65-e935-bassy-II.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 30
  • g12-65-e935-bassy-std-ultra.syx
    8 KB · Views: 36
  • g12-65-e935-bright-II.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 29
  • g12-65-e935-bright-std-ultra.syx
    8 KB · Views: 32
  • g12-65-e935-middy-II.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 29
  • g12-65-e935-middy-std-ultra.syx
    8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Thank you Stratoblaster! I tried bright and middy IR's with Buttery and 800 sims and they sound great.

Hey Strat, just downloaded and will try them later. I love the G12-65 so this is very interesting to me! I'll be sure to let you know my views on this.

I haven't had a chance to listen to them, but it is interesting just comparing the magnitude plots. They are very similar; the main difference going from bassy to to bright is about a 2 dB boost between about 2 and 5 kHz.

Hey Strat, just downloaded and will try them later. I love the G12-65 so this is very interesting to me! I'll be sure to let you know my views on this.

Yea I love the sound of my cabinet so that's why I was interested in seeing what I could get from it. The bassy one has a nice punch to it if you take out some 63Hz and 125Hz.

I haven't had a chance to listen to them, but it is interesting just comparing the magnitude plots. They are very similar; the main difference going from bassy to to bright is about a 2 dB boost between about 2 and 5 kHz.

The differences in mic position was very small between the ranges; pretty much the same distance from the grille and up/down about an inch.

NF stuff is cool, but I'd like to get some great far field IR's of a 4x12...

Thanks man. I am still on the low end of the learning curve with all this stuff, and I appreciate your help here in my growing understanding. Feels kind of like putting my mouth up to the fire-hose now.

Got a chance to try them. They sound great. I miss a bit of bottom end, but that's easy to fix with proximity! Nice job!

Thanks man. I am still on the low end of the learning curve with all this stuff, and I appreciate your help here in my growing understanding. Feels kind of like putting my mouth up to the fire-hose now.

Heh I know what you mean by feeling like you're drinking from a firehose but it'll all come together, and happy to have helped keep your head intact ;-)

Got a chance to try them. They sound great. I miss a bit of bottom end, but that's easy to fix with proximity! Nice job!

Right on! I think I've captured enough 'flavours' so that a particular IR could be a broad fit and then fine-tuned as you've done. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom