My 2 Cents: Why Some People think Axe-Fx Doesn't Sound Great

Every person who's ever been through a college engineering degree knows at least two of this guy and we all got tired of his shit by junior year.
his schtiick shit is tiring for sure - equally annoying to many is that he proves his points very well on some hotly debated guitar nerdy topics

Last edited:
I am definitely in this camp. Most amp in the room sounds I've heard are to me sonically garbage. Yeah they are fun to play with because of all the power and volume, but the speakers are highly directional so there's a small sweet spot where it might sound decent. Most live acts I see tend to use mic'd cabs on stage through the PA anyway, apart from maybe some small clubs or bars. In those cases modellers through a PA or FRFR tend to sound better to me as well. I don't really see what the obsession some people have with getting an amp in the room tone is. If you like that sound, get an amp, put it in a room, and there you go :)
I personally have never owned a tube amp and have never experienced something pushing a lot of air in a room, so I guess I never got it in my head that it was what a guitar is "supposed" to sound like. I always wanted it to sound like the albums I liked, which at the time I had zero understanding of how a produced guitar tone might be different from what it sounds like in person.

Of concerts I've been to over the years, the ones where I liked the sound of the guitar the best were the ones that sounded as much like the album as possible. So I've always been extremely happy with modelers and have never felt that anything was missing from the sound.

I personally have never owned a tube amp and have never experienced something pushing a lot of air in a room, so I guess I never got it in my head that it was what a guitar is "supposed" to sound like. I always wanted it to sound like the albums I liked, which at the time I had zero understanding of how a produced guitar tone might be different from what it sounds like in person.

Of concerts I've been to over the years, the ones where I liked the sound of the guitar the best were the ones that sounded as much like the album as possible. So I've always been extremely happy with modelers and have never felt that anything was missing from the sound.
+1 - went to live shows and listened to studio recordings for years before taking up guitar so was never exposed to aitr, only knew mic'd cab. I thought the first guitar amp I owned was broken it sounded so bad to my ear - not like the mic'd cab sound I understood to be how an electric guitar sounds. Modellers / plugins on the other hand sounded great / recognizable to me when I started guitar, but I plodded on buying amp after amp, cab after cab, and attempting to config modelling to aitr, looking for that glorious tone the aitr crowd tells me awaits and that I would never get with modelling - still haven't found it - closer than I ever was to "getting it" but not there yet - maybe never will as my tinnitus now prevents me from cranking the volume too much to provide the one aitr element I do understand / appreciate well which is the coupling volume provides to enable greater sustain.

Last edited:

I'm with you dude. Except I DID play through tube stuff. I remember absolutely cranking the tone on my TS pedals and the presence on my Bugera 6260, I would wonder why the SM57 recorded sounds came across so much punchier and with those high mids. Had no real concept that so much of a metal guitar sound is due to 57's.

I have used tube amps for 35 years, and absolutely love them. I got the FM3, and it sounds great. I do find myself tweaking constantly, but to accommodate for different rooms. I did the same with amps. Anyone who doesn’t like the tone should just get whatever they like. I am especially enjoying being able to get whatever sound at any volume. Unreal.

I don't know if this is just his marketing strategy, or I struck a nerve, but I've received two notifications from this guy.

First Youtube Notification after I posted the douchebag comment on his BS video:
SpectreSoundStudios20220613.png

Today, I see this notification:
SpectreSoundStudios20220621 reply.png

Updated 6/21 11:21

Attachments

• SpectreSoundStudios20220621.png
    SpectreSoundStudios20220621.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 47
  • SpectreSoundStudios20220621 reply.png
    181.8 KB · Views: 38
  • SpectreSoundStudios20220621 reply.png
    182.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I don't know if this is just his marketing strategy, or I struck a nerve, but I've received two notifications from this guy.

First Youtube Notification after I posted the douchebag comment on his BS video:
View attachment 103804

View attachment 103805

What a nutjob.
probably not him as mentioned above - he mentioned in a recent vid that his subscribers are getting scammed by imposters claiming to be him in his video comments, offering prizes to others commenting.

gotta laugh about all the over the top bashing of Glenn - if anyone actually watched the vid referenced above you'll realize the title is tongue and cheek clickbait (a good sounding metal sound plugin with only one knob lol!) - Click baity titles are a pain but seem to be a way of life on youtube - not just for Glenn F - there's probably not a guitar related youtuber out there that doesn't have some sort of cheesy clickbait title like that in their content.

again, IMO (y'know, just to add a slight bit of counter balance on this) - GF has quite a lot of good solid content on his channel - just a little more schtick to ignore compared to other channels. I suspect GF wants the outrage to keep flowing - he thrives on it lol!

Last edited:
Guitarists are an opinionated authority. We have a gazillion options today, unlike 50 years ago.
Amp modelers will get ridiculed by ‘traditionalist’, even though it’s less so now.. but it’s still there.
The ‘amp in the room’ thing will never really end IMO. A FRFR with IR’s is NOT an amp in the room. It’s a recorded amp tone... ya know... something you hear when you record, or play live and your guitar amp goes thru a PA.
To compare the ‘amp in the room’ to a FRFR with IR’s are two different things.
Many don’t consider that.
For those that want / need just a couple tones and love XYZ amp, and don’t want, or feel like playing with a ‘computer’ to dial in their tones... FAS is probably not for you.

If we listen to what everyone else ‘thinks’ we’d get nowhere.
Bottom line... Play what makes you happy... not what others think you should use.

View attachment 103804

View attachment 103810

Updated 6/21 11:21
Dont do stuff like this. This is exactly what Glenn wants. He wants interaction on his videos which drives views which drives the algorithm. Its sad yes, but that is the state of youtube and guitar youtube in general. If you dont like someone on youtube, just ignore them.

Dont do stuff like this. This is exactly what Glenn wants. He wants interaction on his videos which drives views which drives the algorithm. Its sad yes, but that is the state of youtube and guitar youtube in general. If you dont like someone on youtube, just ignore them.
It was the same on Reddit when they wouldn't stop ƒucking talking about that Šhithead Logan Paul, and I had to remind them about The Simpsons - Just Don't Look (I can't post links yet). Glenn is very insufferable, and I don't think I ever really learned anything from him on mixing. In fact, URM was just as unhelpful, but just sitting down and mixing the STEMS from URM was in fact the most valuable tool to learn to mix.

Edit to answer original comment of this thread: Every plugin or modeler does a poor job emulating the 80-250hz grainy hardness of actual analogue retification of tube amps. If I listen to blind tests of actual high gain rhythm guitars, plugins and modelers always sound anemic in that range (also every modeler has a weird spike in the 2Khz area compared to mic'd cabs and their IRs). In a dense mix, I really won't notice or care, but if I'm mixing, I prefer mic'ing an actual cab for the hardness as I find it way easier to mate the bass guitar with the rhythm guitar (and everybody knows if your low-end sucks, your mix is gonna suck). As for live gigs, I absolutely hate using my Dual Rectifier and 4x12 cab, but in the recording environment, they butter my bread.

Last edited:
You left off the #1 problem, by far. BIAS. Many people have their minds made up before they even listen. This is evident by every blind test Ive ever seen or done. Many guitarists tend to listen with their eyes and frontal lobes instead of their ears.
This is a funny one. When I come across these recorded tube amp vs modelled videos most will pick the modelled recording as the tube amp. Why? Because they have a notion that the tube amp is going to “sound better”. The fractal model will have less thermal noise as Cliff purposely doesn’t model this. So the model tends to sound “clearer”. Most seem to think that sounds better. So they pick it to be the tube amp.

Back
Top Bottom