MXR Dyna Comp

Rippin

Anyone know how to get an MXR Dyna Comp sound from the AX8?

I use the dyna comp to get a long sustains for simulating a fiddle and I also use it when I'm playing slide.

Right now I'm putting my Dyna Comp in front of the AX8 but I'd love to leave it at home and figure out settings that would simulate the dyna comp.

I usually run the volume up fairly high around 8 which makes it the same volume off and on, maybe a slight boost. I put the sensitivity on 10 so it really sustains the notes.

I have tried the 4 different compressors in the AX8 but can't seem to duplicate the dyna comp.

Any ideas?

In the compressor block the pedal mode should get you in the ballpark. Maybe try increasing the output level by 2 to 3 dB to push the front end of the amp like a boost.

I'm using the pedal comp 2 with the attack and release around nine o'clock, the sustain at 1 o'clock, look ahead at 0, emphasis at 0, mix around 57%. It just doesn't have the MXR dyna comp sustain. Thanks for the suggestions and help !!! :)

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-28_12-48-4.png
    upload_2016-12-28_12-48-4.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
If you're turning the sustain up full on your real pedal why not try it at the same setting on the AX8 ? Maybe up the mix value as well.

Please let us know the results!
From my testing.... seems like the settings and suggestions given by everyone helped me out a lot.
I got a pretty good result using the pedal 2, attack to 5ms and release to 100ms, sustain on 10, mix 100%, level pushed a bit to +4.

But, the best result so far I have gotten from the Studio comp. see picture below for settings. this is the best one for the long sustains that compare to the Dyna comp (sensitivity at 3 oclock and and output around oclock)

---UPDATE--This all worked great for my American Telecaster stock pickups but not for my Les Paul. I have to figure out different settings for the Les Paul (way too much compression on the Les Paul).

TeleDnyaComp.png

Last edited:
From my testing.... seems like the settings and suggestions given by everyone helped me out a lot.
I got a pretty good result using the pedal 2, attack to 5ms and release to 100ms, sustain on 10, mix 100%, level pushed a bit to +4.

But, the best result so far I have gotten from the Studio comp. see picture below for settings. this is the best one for the long sustains that compare to the Dyna comp (sensitivity at 3 oclock and and output around oclock)
View attachment 37066
Nice, but consider that the release setting in studio comp is different than on pedal, here you should set it to 1000ms to achieve the same release time

Back
Top Bottom