MXR 117 Flanger on the III

rrhoads17

Inspired
So I got the most recent version of the EVH flanger, the one with the thicker stripes, and I must say that the Axe FX MXR flanger sounds much closer to the old units than the new EVH flanger does. Something sounds off with the new EVH version. I had an EVH flanger from about 13 years ago, and it sounded way more accurate to the point where I needed that pedal and the Axe Fx wouldn't replicate it. I was wrong...lol

It's true.

I’ve been using Fractal products for over a decade now. Earlier, I was always critical of the AXE FX flanger or phaser in particular. Don’t get me wrong, they were okay, close enough to get the job done at a gig, but not quite like the original boxes I own. For me, they just missed that certain “je ne sais quoi“ signal depth the original Phase 90 or M117 (MXR grey flanger) had.

Currently, my point of view has changed. There was a definitive firmware update a while ago that specifically targeted those effects. I felt they have really matured nicely in that update. I was very elated Fractal went back and addressed these issues and did not rest on the “It's close enough” mentality.

Needless to say, now I'm digging those effects (and everything else). My mind is just continuously blown by these products and their perpetual evolution.

All of this!

I love when you go to forums and members equate all fractal owners to being “fanboys.” It’s not because we’re simply in love with the product, it’s because the guy who does it all takes our concerns into consideration and works tirelessly to make it better.

100% worth every last cent of the price of admission….

It's true.

I’ve been using Fractal products for over a decade now. Earlier, I was always critical of the AXE FX flanger or phaser in particular. Don’t get me wrong, they were okay, close enough to get the job done at a gig, but not quite like the original boxes I own. For me, they just missed that certain “je ne sais quoi“ signal depth the original Phase 90 or M117 (MXR grey flanger) had.

Currently, my point of view has changed. There was a definitive firmware update a while ago that specifically targeted those effects. I felt they have really matured nicely in that update. I was very elated Fractal went back and addressed these issues and did not rest on the “It's close enough” mentality.

Needless to say, now I'm digging those effects (and everything else). My mind is just continuously blown by these products and their perpetual evolution.
Same here, in the past, the Fractal flanger didn't sound quite right now it's basically dead on, even beating the current production EVH flanger like I said earlier. That current EVH flanger has something wrong going on with the sweep. Idk if it is just a rumor, but I heard they had to redesign the flanger because it didn't quite mesh with the EVH Overdrive, so that could explain the difference.

Same here, in the past, the Fractal flanger didn't sound quite right now it's basically dead on, even beating the current production EVH flanger like I said earlier. That current EVH flanger has something wrong going on with the sweep. Idk if it is just a rumor, but I heard they had to redesign the flanger because it didn't quite mesh with the EVH Overdrive, so that could explain the difference.
The original used an SAD1024 BBD chip. Those are no longer available so they likely had to redesign the circuit to use those cheap Chinese BBD things. Nothing sounds like an SAD1024.

The original used an SAD1024 BBD chip. Those are no longer available so they likely had to redesign the circuit to use those cheap Chinese BBD things. Nothing sounds like an SAD1024.

I have 2 of those ICs that I keep thinking about using for a project but with the AFIII I just don't see the point.

Back
Top Bottom