Mutronics Mutator patch help

Adrian Belew still uses his Ultra because of these creations by Don I believe. You can’t replicate them on the III apparently...

Not sure why there would be a pitch block, there's no pitch effect in the Mutator. It's just a filter with an envelope follower and an LFO and an envelope shaper.

Check out the block diagram in the manual: https://www.mutronics.co.uk/multimedia/manual.pdf it should help you build a patch.

It's probably two filter blocks... It's been about 8-9 years since I had the Axe Ultra.

p.s. I am even more confused after reading the manual ;)

Adrian Belew still uses his Ultra because of these creations by Don I believe. You can’t replicate them on the III apparently...

Immodestly, it was me who programmed Adrian's Ultra, ten years ago last week. He made me scrambled eggs and bought me the single largest glass of beer I have ever seen in my life. Also, the fact is, we've never tried together to convert any of his presets for the III. I was hoping to visit this month, but my trip was canceled.

Monosnap 2020-03-09 13-35-27.png

Last edited:
You can simulate the Mutator to a good degree easily using two filters. Assign ENV to frequency (don't forget to set update rate to FAST) and then use the built-in LFO as desired.

EDIT: I've just thought of another super cool way to do this and will play with it tonight and post a preset.

Last edited:
I don't have the Axe-FX in front of me right now, but I'd say a filter block set to 4th order lowpass with the LFO enabled, plus the envelope follow set as a modifier for the filter cutoff would get you most of the way there. Then it's a matter of tweaking the parameters of the envelope follower and LFO rate / shape / depth to get the effect you want.

You can simulate the Mutator to a good degree easily using two filters. Assign ENV to frequency (don't forget to set update rate to FAST) and then use the built-in LFO as desired.

EDIT: I've just thought of another super cool way to do this and will play with it tonight and post a preset.
Thanks!

This is incredible Matt - Could you explain a little about how this preset works - which modifiers affects what.

In AxeIII-Edit, it looks like you have a modifier on the ADSR sustain level, but in the editor, it does not look like, you can attach a modifier to that parameter. Is that an editor bug, or did you do magic?

This is incredible Matt - Could you explain a little about how this preset works - which modifiers affects what.

In AxeIII-Edit, it looks like you have a modifier on the ADSR sustain level, but in the editor, it does not look like, you can attach a modifier to that parameter. Is that an editor bug, or did you do magic?

You'll need to have the latest firmware and editor to use the modifier on ADSR Sustain Level.

Wild. This has me thinking about trying this ADSR-controlled, dual filter block setup to mimic a Bassballs pedal.

That's a pretty easy one. I could swear I shared it, but I can't find my old "Dualing Bandpos" preset. I'll make a new one for you.
But then, who can create the NEXT great filter effect? The toolbox in the III is simply insane!

Back
Top Bottom