MutherFer..fried my Axe, well at least the MFC Cat 5 out..USB in the MFC jack

is this for real? sounds like a very bad bug, huge. have we had any word from the maker on this situation of these many axe fx that are breaking down on this connection issue?

is this for real? sounds like a very bad bug, huge. have we had any word from the maker on this situation of these many axe fx that are breaking down on this connection issue?

A bug is usually software, not a physical hardware thing.

The XL was designed with the MFC and USB ports farther apart.

Still, you don't put washer fluid in your oil tank because they are close together.

It is always advised to make all connections with all power off, and this issue would not occur.

When I used to work in IT we regularly had people returning items where they had plugged the wrong cable into the wrong port and some had tried connecting upside down but when it didn't fit they either used too much force and mangled the I/O port or at the most extreme took a craft knife to the plug to 'make it fit'.

That's not to say something similar can't happen to the best of us at least in trying the wrong port/socket (especially when a combination of poor eyesight and low lighting levels are present) but I'd like to think that the majority of us wouldn't go to the extremes I mentioned.

Bugs refer to software problems in todays world. Some people would call this a design flaw. Others might call this a dfu error. :D

This is not a bug. It's user error/carelessness.

Yes, it's unfortunate that the results can be drastic, but unfortunately Fractal is not to blame here.

I've done similar things to other pieces of gear. I've gotten into the habit of throwing a strip of 100mph tape over anything I might reasonably (negligently) plug into. It's saved my ass more than once.

How is it a bug-like if you slam the LCD sceen with a hammer-I guess that's a bug also. Really?

A bug is usually software, not a physical hardware thing.

Interestingly, the term 'bug' in computers came about due to a bug (a moth) blocking a relay on an early computer at Harvard. The term, along with glitch, was previously used in engineering to describe problems or mistakes in designs.

In this case the fault lies in the design of the USB "B" connection where they appear to have not taken the similarity in size to the RJ connector into account. This is a bit of an oversight on their part because many printers contain both USB B ports as well as RJ LAN ports. As stated, once they realized that people might make connections without using their eyes, Fractal Audio did the right thing and changed the design to minimize the damage that can be done. I wouldn't consider this to be a bug or design flaw, it's operator error.

My thumb fits in a light socket, but I make sure the correct connector is in the socket before I turn the switch because I'm not designed for the same voltage as a light bulb.

My thumb fits in a light socket, but I make sure the correct connector is in the socket before I turn the switch because I'm not designed for the same voltage as a light bulb.

Operator error... would that also describe a certain gas engineer I was friends with who ran out of gas detection fluid and decided to use a match instead?

Has anyone had this affect the rest of the unit's operation? This just happened to me. It also showed some back just behind the jack with the two diodes/capacitors done. The unit seems to be working fine, and able to control with 7 pin midi and phantom power. But I have a number of gigs coming up and want to make sure this doesn't affect other functions. I took out the fried ethernet jack. Also, to send it in, do you guys think in your experience sending in say ~jun10 to get back by jul 1 is possible in the US? I have a break then, but otherwise, gigs all summer. I could use the midi -- so long as rest of unit is safe. But want to be sure, and also it really bugs me!! :-x:nightmare:

im lost, why is this units usb frying? wtf! never heard of such a bad bug? Ive seen so many axe fx burning out on this and other threads, why? I heard it was user fault, so what are people doing wrong to make this happen? please enlighten me. i dont want it happening to me, strange

im lost, why is this units usb frying? wtf! never heard of such a bad bug? Ive seen so many axe fx burning out on this and other threads, why? I heard it was user fault, so what are people doing wrong to make this happen? please enlighten me. i dont want it happening to me, strange

People are plugging the USB plug into the Ethernet socket by accident whilst the Axe Fx is powered on.
As the Axe Fx is able to supply power to the MFC, it means the Ethernet socket has live pins. If you insert the USB plug into the socket it shorts across all the Ethernet pins as the USB plug jacket is all metal and thus conductive.

Once again, it is not a bug.

If you want to be careful, double check ALL connections before powering up. I use MIDI, so have fitted a cover over the Ethernet port so I can't plug anything in by accident.

Has anyone had this affect the rest of the unit's operation? This just happened to me. It also showed some back just behind the jack with the two diodes/capacitors done. The unit seems to be working fine, and able to control with 7 pin midi and phantom power. But I have a number of gigs coming up and want to make sure this doesn't affect other functions. I took out the fried ethernet jack. Also, to send it in, do you guys think in your experience sending in say ~jun10 to get back by jul 1 is possible in the US? I have a break then, but otherwise, gigs all summer. I could use the midi -- so long as rest of unit is safe. But want to be sure, and also it really bugs me!! :-x:nightmare:

The circuit is isolated from the main components, so the unit will work fine. The Ethernet circuit is also separate to the MIDI circuit, so as you've found 7-pin control works just fine.

Depending on how unlucky you are though depends on the extent of the repair work. In most cases it is an easy fix; however, if the circuit board is burnt too badly, then it can become costly as the whole board has to be replaced. I think on Axe Fx II MK II and upwards this isn't an issue as the fuse will burn out and protect things. In nearly all cases I've seen it's an easy fix.

People stick things in the wrong hole bad things happen.

oh shit, is that all, hahahahahaha, thats just a i left my brain at home situation. oh ok, nothing to worry about then. lol

Thanks, dbun. The burn looked rather superficial and both through the board when I removed the jack. The two diodes/capacitors that are done just behind the jack is what I don't know as to repair and what those actually do!

Back
Top Bottom